Do 5th gens get hemi tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious if it's all Hemi's or just up to 4th gens? Do I still need to use an Ester based oil in my new 2021 Hemi with E torque? Or can I use regular oil? I want to protect my engine as best as possible. Probably won't be getting a new truck for a very long time. This may be my last one if mother nature doesnt decide to destroy it with hail. Thanks

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious if it's all Hemi's or just up to 4th gens? Do I still need to use an Ester based oil in my new 2021 Hemi with E torque? Or can I use regular oil? I want to protect my engine as best as possible. Probably won't be getting a new truck for a very long time. This may be my last one if mother nature doesnt decide to destroy it with hail. Thanks
They sure can get hemi tick...maybe not quite as often as earlier generations though. I would still use a great synthetic oil and change at 5000 mile intervals to try and make sure it doesn't happen. My wife has a 2022 limited etorque and I use 4 quarts of redline 5w-20 and 3 quarts of redline 5w-30 in hers the last 2 changes, and it has been the smoothest/quietest hemi we have had. I figure spending a little more money now to prevent some bad stuff down the road is well worth it.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They sure can get hemi tick...maybe not quite as often as earlier generations though. I would still use a great synthetic oil and change at 5000 mile intervals to try and make sure it doesn't happen. My wife has a 2022 limited etorque and I use 4 quarts of redline 5w-20 and 3 quarts of redline 5w-30 in hers the last 2 changes, and it has been the smoothest/quietest hemi we have had. I figure spending a little more money now to prevent some bad stuff down the road is well worth it.
Thanks for the info. I sure will donthat next oil change. Do I still need to not idle it for long periods of time?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Thanks for the info. I sure will donthat next oil change. Do I still need to not idle it for long periods of time?

I've learned here in the RAMforum, and most folks agree, that excessive idling isn't a good thing, reason being low rpm(~650)"oil splash" isn't getting up onto the cam/lifters.

If I'm caught at an excessively long stop light, etc., I'll select neutral and rev my HEMI's rpm up to ~1000 a few times.

Other folks may do something different using an performance tuner that has the ability to "idle up"~750)from the stock preset rpm setting.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've learned here in the RAMforum, and most folks agree, that excessive idling isn't a good thing, reason being low rpm(~650)"oil splash" isn't getting up onto the cam/lifters.

If I'm caught at an excessively long stop light, etc., I'll select neutral and rev my HEMI's rpm up to ~1000 a few times.

Other folks may do something different using an performance tuner that has the ability to "idle up"~750)from the stock preset rpm setting.
I do that. Can't afford a tuner to raise the RPM up. Trying to get the necessary stuff like muffler and mats. Then air springs.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know what oil was used when it was changed before I bought it. I was going to get a couple bottles of Lubegaurd and throw in until next oil change. Maybe Prolube. Not sure yet.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know what oil was used when it was changed before I bought it. I was going to get a couple bottles of Lubegaurd and throw in until next oil change. Maybe Prolube. Not sure yet.
1 15 OZ bottle of LubeGuard per oil change. High quality Synthetic Oil Filter and Quality Oil (Full Synthetic). Also 5000 miles OCI not a bad thought. Rotate your tires same time. (Remember correct amount of oil, U add additives, subtract a lil oil to come to proper level).
NOTE: There are good Oil Filter threads on here and also great oil thread by @Burla also. Do your research and choose. Since U also in TX, depending upon driving a lot, towing or not, 5W 20 or even 5W 30 for the heat also. But read through the oil thread and make an informed choice. (Not sure wat oil in 21 they R recommending, on MY 19 it is 5W 20, but they have been going thinner, per FCA recommendation).

ADDED: DO not take my word on it, read through the threads, get edumacated and make yer personal choice.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IF U do not know when last changed, time to do a OCI with filter.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never noticed a tick from my '19 laramie. had it 4 years. used mobil1. did my own changes
RUN, U using a Mobil 1 filter also, or RP, or WIC, FRAM. Hee hee, I currently got an RP on mine, but my truck is a driveway princess.

CBake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Other folks may do something different using a performance tuner that has the ability to "idle up"~750)from the stock preset rpm setting.
The hemi tick threads got me nervous as long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs… I was actually considering doing just exactly this in traffic and / or long stops. Seems crazy, but maybe not.
I know there is not a hard and fast rule and driving conditions differ, but is there any consensus on what constitutes “excessive idle?” I guess it stands to reason that if this issue snuck up on hemi drivers under normal use, then normal traffic congestion and stop light idle is enough to cause it…. Better oil is certainly going in it from now on, but maybe revving is a good idea?

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree.....use a good synthetic oil......I don't use any additives.....oil gets changed every 7000 miles. Good luck.

OP
OP
dakotanut

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2015 Ram with 5.7L hemi. We had a freeze here for a week and we don't get freezes. We lost power for 5 days. Had to run the truck to plug in saltwater fish tank. It ran for 5 days straight to keep my tank up and running in idle. I'm pretty sure that's what caused mine. Cost me 4100 bucks to fix. Now I'm careful on oil changes and hiw long I idle my new one. My 2015 was totaled in a hail storm with tornado. So git my 2021 Ram Laramie Ivory white tricoat pearlcoat. Just want to take really good care of it. Be the last truck I buy with the V8 being stopped and electric being rammed down our throats. Keeping my 500 hp 06 Ford Mustang also.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do I still need to not idle it for long periods of time?

Contractors, road crews, police, etc that idle for hours at a time, HEMI isn't a good fit for the job. That said, I wouldn't worry about stop lights or if you forgot your wallet and need to run back in the house. If they were that fragile, none of us would be making it to 200k miles. My truck had very high idle time in its past life(s) and I'm at 205k with no lifter issues.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
The hemi tick threads got me nervous as long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs… I was actually considering doing just exactly this in traffic and / or long stops. Seems crazy, but maybe not.
I know there is not a hard and fast rule and driving conditions differ, but is there any consensus on what constitutes “excessive idle?” I guess it stands to reason that if this issue snuck up on hemi drivers under normal use, then normal traffic congestion and stop light idle is enough to cause it…. Better oil is certainly going in it from now on, but maybe revving is a good idea?

I've read and to my understanding the later GEN III Eagle HEMI~2009 to present, when the HEMI had an minor design change(Multi-Displacement System/eight to four cylinder mode) along with variable valve timing is when the cam/lifter failures appeared.

Being, that the cam sits higher in the block and lowered rpm idle to accommodate "EPA regulated fuel savings mandated by the "tree huggers", isn't getting adequate oil splash to the cam/lifters is less.

However, not everyone experiences this issue and have put over an hundred thousand trouble free miles on their HEMI.

There are many threads/posts here in the RAMforum on this topic, although not everyone agrees.

I've read here in the RAMforum of folks having great success with synthetic oils with higher amounts of molybdenum/ zddp is the ticket to help slow the possibility of the cam/lifter issues along with lesser idle time.

Well, I'm definitely not an expert on this, it's sorta just what I've absorbed from watching videos and reading.

Hammer down, and happy motoring.

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I could be wrong, but I don't remember anyone on this site with a 5th gen complain about it, unless it was an exhaust manifold issue. I most definitely haven't heard of a 5th gen having it locally.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 115635 miles.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Other than E-Torq on the newer 5th Gen RAM, I'm not aware of any other changes.

In ~2017 the needle roller bearings in the lifters was "beefed up", and folks were still reporting cam/lifter failures.

CBake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Contractors, road crews, police, etc that idle for hours at a time, HEMI isn't a good fit for the job. That said, I wouldn't worry about stop lights or if you forgot your wallet and need to run back in the house. If they were that fragile, none of us would be making it to 200k miles. My truck had very high idle time in its past life(s) and I'm at 205k with no lifter issues.
Whew! This was my thinking as well. I was hoping this entire forum was full of police, linesmen and road crews.
I want to be diligent but when I sit revving at the red light, dudes keep getting fired up wanting to run. Explaining myself is embarrassing :)

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
my 21 ram idles at 950rpm and holds 36psi oil pressure. I am 48,000 miles and i drive hard. No tick i am aware of on mine. Change oil at 7500 using synthetic