DODGE RAM TRX KIT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
A few more rough shots. It took about 11 hours over the weekend to get the rear quarter panels installed. I'll post some more detailed info later about the install that may be helpful to others that want to do this. There were allot of hidden spot welds I'll document. I'm liking the way it's going to look but right now it looks rough without offsets & larger tires.

TRXrear8.jpgTRXrear9.jpg TRXrear12.jpg TRXrear13.jpg

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
Followed up with some information on this forum about tires and rims and I believe I've got it. Basically the rim I want which is a 20" x 12" with -50 offset. Tires will be 37" x 13.5" x 20". I did a scaled detail and it looks as if the inside will basically stay the same and the outsides should push out about 4". The TRX kit fenders push outward 4", so this new tire set up should put it back to the same perspective.

I would appreciate some feed back on if I got this correct from you all whom have gone through this.

Rim Offsets.jpg

Tires.jpg tomahawk_blackbronze_white.jpg

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So not going long travel suspension? Just wonder what suspension setup was in the works.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
I was and may still consider the Dirt King long travel set up. The problem was the front set up pushes the wheels out 3" each side while the back does not. I asked them about this and the options were to modify the rear end to add 6" to it. This would cost several grand. The other option would be to add spacers to the rear which in my opinion is not a good solution. My thought would be to have different offsets on the wheels to align them. Problem then is tire rotation. Right now I'm going to hold up on spending 12 grand on the long travel kit and try a different approach.

The rears are not a problem but the fronts will be. I want to get the tires on the ram to see where the issues are and try to modify it to prevent the rubbing. If the end result is lifting it, I'll have to do some research on a lift or level kit that will do the job.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cant wait to see the final product next week. Next week right? Nah keep up the good work you got alot of watchers and im sure they are just as impressed as i am on how fast you are getting this thing together.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
Cant wait to see the final product next week. Next week right? Nah keep up the good work you got alot of watchers and im sure they are just as impressed as i am on how fast you are getting this thing together.
Thanks! I wish I had more time to work on it. I’m having to work again this weekend. Tomorrow I’m going to try and get some time on it.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
Edited

Never mind, I get it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
After weeks of consideration, I finally ordered the wheels and tires yesterday. I'm going with the staggered set up.

Rears:

Wheels; Ballistic Tomahawk 20" x 12" -50. Tires; Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" x 13.5" x 20".

Fronts:

Wheels; Ballistic Tomahawk 20' x 9" -12. Tires; Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" x 11.5" x 20".

Should know next week on shipment date.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After weeks of consideration, I finally ordered the wheels and tires yesterday. I'm going with the staggered set up.

Rears:

Wheels; Ballistic Tomahawk 20" x 12" -50. Tires; Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" x 13.5" x 20".

Fronts:

Wheels; Ballistic Tomahawk 20' x 9" -12. Tires; Nitto Ridge Grappler 37" x 11.5" x 20".

Should know next week on shipment date.
That's exactly what I wanna do!
I want some noticeably wider meat on the back too.
Thinking about either BFGoodrich Radial T/A's or Firestone Wide Ovals which will be a little taller compared to my NITTOS low profiles, but these seem to be the only one's with solid raised white lettering I can find?
I'm on my 2nd set of NITTOS myself and love em', but they don't make a white lettered tire. This summer is new tire time.

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
I'm really pleased with this staggered set up. The rears are where I wanted them with the -50 offset. They have plenty of clearance and the treads do not stick out. I still need to modify the old steel wheel well so that it is hidden and serves as additional support I'm mulling over whether or not to do a 2" rear drop.

The fronts are where I wanted them too with the -12 offset. I did not want to raise the front but instead, keep it stock. By doing so, the front wells needed a bit of modifying to get those 37" tucked in there with no rubbing issues. I knew the plastic had to be trimmed but behind it on both sides at the cab area, there is a 1" protruding seam of the body parts that are spot welded together. Before ordering the front wheels & tires, I mocked fitted the 37" (don't laugh, it worked lol) by taping a paper towel empty tube to the stock wheels. I made sure that it stuck out past the stock tread 1" and was 2" high to simulate the 37". According to my math this was the sweet spot that needed to clear while turning and it didn't.

You can't cut this outie seam because it serves as a structural component for that area of the truck. So what I did was to cut it into tabs (avoiding the spot welds) about every 3/4" of an inch +/-. Then I bent the tabs inwards and out of the way. I was relieved when they installed the new front wheels and tires and saw that it barely cleared. I've got some fine tuning to do on this mod so that I can squeeze out a little more clearance and make it look finished.

The wheels are not as advertised (matte finish on the spokes and gloss on the rest), they are 100% matte finish. I'm ok with that. It's got me thinking about painting the Ram matte black with matte bronze racing stripes. Or I could gloss the wheel and paint the Ram back gloss with gloss stripes. We'll see...

Tires1.jpg Tires2.jpg Tires3.jpg Tires4.jpg Tires5.jpg

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
Do you tuck your shirt in just the front too?
LOL! If you are referring to the tires up front, yes they are in 3" each side which works now for me for the stock set up. If I go with the Dirt King long travel lift kit, they will push the tires out 3" to match the back. So these would still be the wheels needed, I would put the 13.5 tire up front as well to match the rear.

When I was pricing out the kit, I realized the fronts were wider and you would need a 3" spacer on the rears to match them up. I'm not a fan of spacers. So for now I'm going with this look.

So shirts fully tucked or not at all!

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As I mentioned in another post in the engine section (2014 Ram RC SWB Rebuild), I had original ordered a TRX but decided to back out, rebuild the one I have and save tons of cash.

Well I just purchased the kit. Should get it in about 5 weeks.

2009-2018 Dodge Ram TRX Kit | Fenders, Headlight Extensions/Valance, Hood, & Bedsides (advfiberglass.com)

I'm going to keep the stock front and rear bumper which will work with a kit they have. May be later I'll get the bumpers (Dirt King) to give it the Baja look as pictured on the site.

Going to take a few months to complete the build but it will be worth the wait!!

So does this kit include a full new hood, or is it just “hood inserts” as listed in the carbon fiber version?

Also, does the kit include that rear bumper or is that from another company? I love the look and I want to know where I can buy that back bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MOPAR78

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
6.2 Demon
So does this kit include a full new hood, or is it just “hood inserts” as listed in the carbon fiber version?

Also, does the kit include that rear bumper or is that from another company? I love the look and I want to know where I can buy that back bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it’s a complete new hood. The back bumper is sold by Dirt King I believe.