Does my truck have a factory amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teller116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can anyone tell me if my truck has a factory apm and if so it’s placement. Or tell me where I can find the information to look up for myself. I’ve looked on YouTube and fell down a rabbit hole of what ifs.

2019 Ram 1500 classic
Big Horn 4wd crew cab

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You only have an amp if you have the factory Alpine system. Does your center dash speaker have an Alpine badge?

OP
OP
T

Teller116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure, I’ll look tomorrow when I get back home. I replaced the door speakers and they were paper like coned if that helps. Haven’t replaced dash speaker yet.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the sound system sounds horrible it probably has the alpine lol if not its probably the base system. I have the base system without a amp it sounds way better then the alpine witb the factory amp. Also if you have the ram app it should have your options it came with it will say in there

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The amp will be under the dash, drivers side, tucked up behind the instrument cluster. You will be able to see the 2 connectors on the bottom of it. It's right next to the park brake.

rammus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L, ULP, 8 SP AUTO
not sure if this helps, but i replaced my speakers recently and noticed a small box under the dash on the drivers side. could that be the amp youre looking for?

OP
OP
T

Teller116

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess mine don’t have one. I looked this morning and didn’t see any alpine logos and it looks like I have 3 dash speakers. I haven’t checked under the dash or in the ram app yet.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
What BossHogg said if its a classic, and if you looked in the setting on the radio, you would see amp if you have one. My quad cab has it under the seat in the back

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess mine don’t have one. I looked this morning and didn’t see any alpine logos and it looks like I have 3 dash speakers. I haven’t checked under the dash or in the ram app yet.
See posts 10,11, but sounds like the Base 6 Speaker system.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another way to tell.... if you don't have speakers in the roof, or a subwoofer under the rear seat, you probably don't have the Alpine. If you don't have the Alpine (on the classic) you don't have an amp.

If you have the Alpine, you should have:
3 dash speakers (left, right, center)
2 front door speakers (left, right)
2 roof speakers (left, right)
2 rear door speakers (left, right)
1 subwoofer (under rear passenger seat on crew cab, and behind the seat in the floor on the megacab)

Not sure why some hate on the Alpine. Both of my Laramie's have/had it and I enjoy it. Zero complaints.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another way to tell.... if you don't have speakers in the roof, or a subwoofer under the rear seat, you probably don't have the Alpine. If you don't have the Alpine (on the classic) you don't have an amp.

If you have the Alpine, you should have:
3 dash speakers (left, right, center)
2 front door speakers (left, right)
2 roof speakers (left, right)
2 rear door speakers (left, right)
1 subwoofer (under rear passenger seat on crew cab, and behind the seat in the floor on the megacab)

Not sure why some hate on the Alpine. Both of my Laramie's have/had it and I enjoy it. Zero complaints.
I actually have not heard the alpine in the Ram so maybe its ok. In my wifes challenger it sounds horrible my Ram base sound system sounds way better. Normally In Mopars they use the same systems so I figured it sounds like crap in the Ram also.

Bpfau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Aline system in my 2023 1500 Bighorn sounds great. I also have no complaints about it and I’ve had entire systems in other vehicles. Getting to old for that stuff.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like others said..the alpine logo up on the dash would tell ya and the tweets in the roof.Iam no radio guy by any means here so heres my story.....
My old ass factory alpine system sounded ok enough for me.
I didnt realize it until I put aftermarket speakers in it due to everyone here stating alpine sucks and it does to a full blown audio guy type of guy.Otherwise it's fine for an everyday driving person.
My sub box was already removed when I purchased this truck so I had to do something about that due to I knew what was supposed to be there from my research.
Truck now has a pair of 10s under the back seat in a custom fiberglass box thing i made and whatever watt Crutchfield Alpine Amp(500w i think)for those 2 that sits under the drivers seat..all the wires were already there so someone did a fine job before I got it and removed the goods..made it easy for me.
Cannot remember what brand speakers i put In everywhere.
Results-----,sounds are much more clearer,crisper...system is not as loud overall except for the subs,they have plenty of nice solid thump for me even at half throttle on the amp..really anymore than that and the speakers start to get "muddy" ill call it....distortion.
Today I'm happy with it overall and my ears got use to the better clearer sounds...like I can hear individual instruments kind of thing....thought I messed it up when I first changed everything...it was my ears not knowing better.

Last edited: