Dripping Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
I'm not 100% sure where to put this. Since it's something under the hood, I'll start here. Went out to dinner with the wife. Afterwards, walking out to my truck we noticed a puddle under it. Did some looking around and found a very short hose sticking out of the firewall on the passenger side, below the A/C crap. I circled it in the photo. What is it? Why is it dripping water?whatisthis.jpg

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's straight water, I'd say condensate from AC. Or drain from cowl area. Again, if it's straight water, I wouldn't be worried.

OP
OP
04RAM_3

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thank you. It is straight water. I didn't think about the cowl draining. It did rain earlier

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. It is straight water. I didn't think about the cowl draining. It did rain earlier

An AC condensate drain is a normal function of any HVAC system.

Operating your AC without enabling the recirculation damper will create more condensate drain activity, especially during high ambient temperatures.

This site has a good explanation if you're interested.

https://beckettus.com/articles/hvac-condensate-drain-lines-importance-problems-and-maintenance/

The principles of HVAC are the same for building and automotive, buildings just have the components more exposed and easier to access/repair.

OP
OP
04RAM_3

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thanks for the replies. I'm a little gun-shy about coolant leaks after blowing up my Bronco a few years ago. Can't be too cautious after all

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. I'm a little gun-shy about coolant leaks after blowing up my Bronco a few years ago. Can't be too cautious after all

Condensate fluid should be clear and odourless.

A quick finger dip, rub, and sniff should confirm. It would help if you got used to spotting your own condensate drain activity, it's just another feature.