Electrical Issue (Brake Lights)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jnelso93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Hello, I’ve got a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5 speed 4.7l.
I’ve noticed an issue I’m having I hope I can explain it well enough for others to understand.
First thing I noticed was my brake lights staying on after shutting the truck off. I’d get in the truck and mess with the brake pedal, turn lights on and off until they’d finally stay off. Then I was driving not too long after and noticed driving down the road my stereo would just cut off also at the same time my overhead compass screen would cut off and my over head lights would also not work.
I was out there messing with it tonight and noticed when I’d shut my driver door kind of hard my brake lights went off. Well then I got in the cab and noticed when my lights and stereo would cut off if I slammed my door they would come back on!
So I started beating and banging around and figured out that if I grab my dash with both hands right behind the steering wheel and jerk it back and forth my stereo and over head lights would come on as they are supposed to but also at the same time my brake lights would go off like they should be. But also depending on if I was pushing or pulling on the dash my brake lights would come back on and my stereo and overhead lights would go back off. Something is going on behind my dash I just have no idea where to even start. Can anyone shed some light on this problem and point me in the direction I need to start? Thank you

OP
OP
Jnelso93

Jnelso93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Thanks! I actually got around to doing that finally. I tore my dash apart couple nights ago and found a ground wire, well wires, it was several wires attached to one connector but it was just dangling back there arching on the frame of the dash. Screwed it back to the frame of the dash and it fixed a lot more than just my original problem. My 3rd brake light works now which it never before. My dome lights are a lot brighter some now also.
But thanks for the tip and I hope this’ll help someone in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_9860.jpeg
    IMG_9860.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9861.jpeg
    IMG_9861.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 13