Extended warranty now or after 3yr 36k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Up here extended warranty is the same price new or within the 3 year and mile limit of the bumper to bumper warranty. Drive it 2 years 9 months, if you have had no issues, don't buy. If you had some fairly expensive, get extended, if you had a lot of issues, sell pickup while it still has warranty and the purchaser has the option to buy the OEM extended warranty.

A couple of my work trucks had non-manufacturer extended warranty, not worth the paper it was written on. Only personal Vehicle I have ever owned with extended warranty is my wife's 2020 GC with the 5.7. Bought the extended half way through the second year. Got the seven year, bumper to bumper, 115,000 Klm one for $2,800.

With the 5.7, air suspension and all the electric doodads on the Summit model, figure it is about 50/50 if I break even. During the first 3 years had radio replaced in year 1, Nav went out, cost was $2,300, covered by warranty and the drivers seat belt retractor in year 2, a surprisingly expensive $500, also covered under warranty. It now has 50,000 klms and has been pretty much trouble free, and we plan to keep it long term, so shall see if I made a good bet or not

big tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Try these guys. Mopar wants $99. a month to extend mine while these guys are selling them for much cheaper. my 2016 2500 with the 5 year extended factory though these guys is expiring 8/6 and there quote is 3/36 $100. deducible $2425.00 maximum and $3030.00 4/48. https://chryslerwarrantydirect.com/get-coverage/

KubotaTed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SST-HO
Hi All,

I'm current awaiting my 2025 1500 Tungsten build and should be getting it in roughly 6 weeks. Are there any preferred/observed ESP (warranty) plans that are readily available online that are actually backed by RAM? Specifically when I bought my Ford F-150, the two very known dealers were Ziegler and Flood Ford. I saw Ziegler mentioned above. Has anyone seen other credible alternatives?

Thank you.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Don't be in a rush, you haven't even got your vehicle yet.

I have seen no reason for extended wty. unless on a foreign
car, I had it work well on an Audi many years ago.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Granger is a vendor on this Forum, they sell Mopar Plans
Ziegler also sells Mopar Plans

compare them price wise

Just click on the words Ramforum.com at the top of the page to see all of the Vendors on this forum, you will see Granger there

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm current awaiting my 2025 1500 Tungsten build and should be getting it in roughly 6 weeks. Are there any preferred/observed ESP (warranty) plans that are readily available online that are actually backed by RAM? Specifically when I bought my Ford F-150, the two very known dealers were Ziegler and Flood Ford. I saw Ziegler mentioned above. Has anyone seen other credible alternatives?

Thank you.
The only factory-backed ESP is Mopar MaxCare. There are several places that offer the best deals, including Zeigler (chryslerfactoryplans.com). CR Motors (chryslerwarrantydirect.com) is another good source to check.

There are others that have a favorite dealership/salesperson to deal with but I stuck with one of the "majors" for convenience.

Every dealership sells Mopar MaxCare ESPs. They do not get as much profit as selling 3rd party ones so that's why they push those (especially in the finance room). The key is finding a dealership that sells online/over the phone that sells in volume with minimal profit margin...like the two listed above.

Plenty of threads and info on everyone's favorite and who is outselling who by $50. Definitely call for a quote. Zeigler offered me additional discounts/incentives when I talked to them on the phone which convinced me to go with them.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I have seen no reason for extended wty.
Most people see no reason for homeowners insurance...Until their house burns down. Bottom line: Service contracts(the correct term for what people call extended warranties) are sharing risk. Sharing risk costs money. If you want to share the risk of replacing a failed engine at 70K due to a camshaft/lifter issue, then buy the contract. If you want to assume all of that risk yourself, then don't.....Same goes for the risk of the transmission falling out, the differential barfing out, alternator, ECM, BMC, all the other modules and the miles of complex wiring, etc etc etc.....

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Remember extended care warranties are insurance, high
commissions, salesman incentives for production, (sales).

KubotaTed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SST-HO
The only factory-backed ESP is Mopar MaxCare. There are several places that offer the best deals, including Zeigler (chryslerfactoryplans.com). CR Motors (chryslerwarrantydirect.com) is another good source to check.

There are others that have a favorite dealership/salesperson to deal with but I stuck with one of the "majors" for convenience.

Every dealership sells Mopar MaxCare ESPs. They do not get as much profit as selling 3rd party ones so that's why they push those (especially in the finance room). The key is finding a dealership that sells online/over the phone that sells in volume with minimal profit margin...like the two listed above.

Plenty of threads and info on everyone's favorite and who is outselling who by $50. Definitely call for a quote. Zeigler offered me additional discounts/incentives when I talked to them on the phone which convinced me to go with them.

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful & comprehensive. I agree with the 'finding a dealer that sells in volume for the ESPs.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Granger is a vendor on this Forum, they sell Mopar Plans
Ziegler also sells Mopar Plans

compare them price wise

Just click on the words Ramforum.com at the top of the page to see all of the Vendors on this forum, you will see Granger there
I went with Granger a few weeks ago when we bought my son a 2020 1500. Noticed it has the ****** cracked rear window frame. It is getting looked at this afternoon...I guess we will see how good the warranty is in a couple hours!!!

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I went with Granger a few weeks ago when we bought my son a 2020 1500. Noticed it has the ****** cracked rear window frame. It is getting looked at this afternoon...I guess we will see how good the warranty is in a couple hours!!!
While components are covered (window frame, slider, etc.), the rear window for the RAM is one complete piece and has to be replaced as such...which included the rear glass. Glass replacement is not covered in any extended service plan/contract by anybody (including Mopar) so nothing about the rear window will be covered. Only the basic 3/36 warranty covers that.

Depending on how long ago you bought the truck (and if there was a warranty period) I would go back to the dealership you bought it from. Even if it was "as-is" they might fix it (or pitch in to pay for it) out of good faith. I've done that before with an "as-is" used vehicle but the check engine light came on 3 days after I bought it. The dealership agreed to fix it as they felt that it wasn't up to the expectation of the quality product they sell. The answer is always 'no' unless you ask.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While components are covered (window frame, slider, etc.), the rear window for the RAM is one complete piece and has to be replaced as such...which included the rear glass. Glass replacement is not covered in any extended service plan/contract by anybody (including Mopar) so nothing about the rear window will be covered. Only the basic 3/36 warranty covers that.

Depending on how long ago you bought the truck (and if there was a warranty period) I would go back to the dealership you bought it from. Even if it was "as-is" they might fix it (or pitch in to pay for it) out of good faith. I've done that before with an "as-is" used vehicle but the check engine light came on 3 days after I bought it. The dealership agreed to fix it as they felt that it wasn't up to the expectation of the quality product they sell. The answer is always 'no' unless you ask.
The dealer we purchased from said a 3 months 3000 mile warranty...if the extended doesn't fix it, or if ram won't knowing that it is an issue on these, I will go back to the dealer to make them fix it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If u buy Maxcare get from Ziegler or Granger. Both decent. But buy before your 3 year/36k mileage hits cheaper. I bought mine the last day of my 3 year in service date Maxcare from Ziegler. One claim so far for new E fan assembly.
Had rear window assembly and CHMSL replaced under extended warranty from FCA.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer we purchased from said a 3 months 3000 mile warranty...if the extended doesn't fix it, or if ram won't knowing that it is an issue on these, I will go back to the dealer to make them fix it.
U can go on Mopar Owner site and see if the extension from FCA applies to yer vehicle. It will be listed in the Mopar site. Now since u r not original owner not know if it will be covered for u if listed. Extension being for rear window and chmsl and also I have a front air dam extension listed for my 19.

I did have my complete rear window assembly and CHMSL replaced under extended FCA warranty.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U can go on Mopar Owner site and see if the extension from FCA applies to yer vehicle. It will be listed in the Mopar site. Now since u r not original owner not know if it will be covered for u if listed. Extension being for rear window and chmsl and also I have a front air dam extension listed for my 19.

I did have my complete rear window assembly and CHMSL replaced under extended FCA warranty.
My wife and son took the truck to our closest dealer and the rear frame/window is not covered by the extended warranty. The TSB I believe only applies to the original owner, so I got a hold of the dealer that sold it and did a 160 point inspection on it and said all was good and they put a 3 month 3000 mile warranty on it. Hopefully they follow through and do what is right and honor their short term warranty and fix it. My wife was told around $1600 for the local ram dealer to fix since they say the warranty doesn't cover it. I think it is ridiculous ram won't cover it when they know of the issues with the cracked frame. I would say I won't ever buy a ram again because of this, but every manufacturer is basically the same anymore. Sell overpriced crap and not back it up!!!