External Oil Cooler for 3.6L Pentastar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I am looking for some additional oil cooling capacity for my 2015 Supercharged V6. In general, the OEM system does remarkably well even under really heavy load - supercharged and pulling a trailer with at least one max gross weight limit reached.
The problem is when I am fully loaded, going uphill, high outside temps, and high-ish altitude. Oil temps will spike up to 260 if I am not paying attention. I usually slow down enough to keep it under 250. I would like to see it peak at 240 while going 55-60mph up a grade.

Discussion of modifications here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2015-pentastar-v6-towing-supercharger-success.171807/

I have the parts to add an additional radiator with driver/thermally controlled fans. That may or may not be enough.

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket oil cooler for the Pentastars? Maybe something that taps into the OEM oil filter/cooler and has a separate radiator? My preference is to setup the cooling system for the absolute worst case scenario considering a failure in the middle of nowhere with the whole family and a trailer.

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
.....guessing there may be nothing out there.

I may need to custom design a solution.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not to sure about a block for hooking up an external oil cooler to the Pentastar but contact CFT about their larger oil cooler(than the one with the kit) they offer for the EcoDiesel. If it can keep an EcoDiesel oil cool under load it should have no problems with the Pentastar. Guy on another forum runs one with a 180°F Derale oil thermostat (keep the oil temp from cooling too much in the winter). He tows heavy and says it helped lower the running coolant temperature also.

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
@engineering I was able to get a link to the cooler I referenced above: https://cftperformance.com/26-x-7-x-3-5-inch-cooler/

That seems to be a good unit for thermal transfer for sure. The harder problem to solve is finding a good place to tap the oil system on the engine.

I have looked at:

This is still 'COMING SOON!', but if available would allow a remote oil filter and cooler with no modification to the engine configuration.
Maybe I should call and inquire about the status. Overall, this company appears to make some high quality parts and of course charge an appropriately high-quality price.
While I don't mind paying for the good stuff.....I sure would like to have some assurance that it will work.

This project would require some time to work out the details and fab/machine various brackets and get custom lines made.

Along with the radiator you linked - this could be a workable combination.

1644090643234.png

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Overall, this company appears to make some high quality parts and of course charge an appropriately high-quality price.
At least their price seems reasonable for their adapters. CFT charges $500 for a water cut flat piece of 6061 that is the adapter plate for EcoD cooler. It's more than the cooler and the sad part is even if it's made to order a water cutting machine just follows a program.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wonder if there's a way to tap into the oil side of the new all aluminum Doorman oil filter/cooler assembly? There's no way I'd hang that above adapter off the plastic OEM housing..

That's going to be a tough one because there's no access to the fittings for the oil cooler portion of the OEM pentastar oil filter/cooler assembly that I know of. It's ported into the bottom of the assembly and sealed with O-rings once the unit is snugged down.

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I wonder if there's a way to tap into the oil side of the new all aluminum Doorman oil filter/cooler assembly? There's no way I'd hang that above adapter off the plastic OEM housing..

That's going to be a tough one because there's no access to the fittings for the oil cooler portion of the OEM pentastar oil filter/cooler assembly that I know of. It's ported into the bottom of the assembly and sealed with O-rings once the unit is snugged down.

You are correct in that the lines would need to be cleverly restrained to limit the pressure on the plastic OEM oil filter housing. A stress loop would probably be enough to allow the engine movement without transferring stresses to the housing.

I could machine a support structure that holds lines and the adapter itself. At least once it is installed - it never moves. The oil filter would be remote.

Not sure of any other way to get oil out/in the engine other than the stock oil filter/cooler. Modifying the oil cooler myself is a big task since I have to remove the whole supercharger system to get to it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not sure of any other way to get oil out/in the engine other than the stock oil filter/cooler. Modifying the oil cooler myself is a big task since I have to remove the whole supercharger system to get to it.

Ugg. Supercharger system, upper intake, lower intake w/ all the wiring connectors for the fuel injectors, tubes, clips, etc..

That is a lot and then having to put it all back together to even test run it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Looking at the pictures, there may already be threaded taps that could be used for an external cooler.

OP
OP
engineering

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
That looks interesting and it seems to be rather reasonably priced = ~$206 or so. Not sure about availability or if the plugged ports on the front are suitable for tapping in an oil cooler.

I am going to look at my setup and see if there is even enough room for the fittings and hoses in that position.

The biggest concern is the requirement to pull everything off the top of the engine - with the supercharger that is a commitment. I may need to do it soon anyway to change the plugs, and upgrade the coil packs.

I have not yet recieved a response from Baxter about the drop remote filter unit they have (coming soon).