Fuel economy questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
ANY vehicle gets better gas mileage (unless its electric) during the first 1/2 of the tank. Don't believe me? Try stopping and refilling before you go through the 1/2 way mark then check your mileage. I don't know the scientific reason, just from 50 years of driving.
No it doesn't,it's going to get the same milege all the way through the tank.What you're seeing is the float level takes longer to move off the full mark,as you have to burn some fuel before the fuel level starts to move downward and actually show on the gas guage

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to change the plugs. I don’t want to do it frequently. I’m assuming the NGK iridium plugs are good. Should be good for about 100,000 miles. Have you guys had good results with those plugs?
Follow BT's advice in post #18,and it doesn't hurt to use a small amount of anti-seize on the plug threads,and a small amount of Di-electric grease on the porcellin portion of the plug,don't carried away with either though

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
NGK's should be the OEM plugs,stick with them. DO NOT buy plugs off Amazon or Ebay,they're most likely fake plugs.
^^^ THIS!!!

Rock Auto - look at the NGK Ruthenium HX plugs.

Toss in a couple of bottles of Red Line SI-1 fuel system treatment and fill up with premium.
run until empty and refill with premium. Afterwards, an oil change is recommended.

When is the last time you looked at the PCV valve; perhaps remove it and clean it, or replace it?

When is the last time you performed a thorough throttle body cleaning?

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How exactly are you coming up with those MPG numbers? Are you just looking at the dash numbers that give an estimated average MPG, or are you actually hand calculating the MPG at each fuel stop? If you are looking at the dash numbers are you resetting it at the start of the trip?
I have no explanation as to why the fuel mileage would suddenly get worse the last 350 miles of the trip consistently going both directions. How many times has this happened? Meaning how many trips have you made? Honestly I would say it's either just a fluke and the driving conditions happened to changed, or maybe there is something in the electronic display that is resetting or recalculating.
In regards to the spark plugs and O2 sensors. If they are still the original with that many miles it wouldn't be a bad idea to change them. However there is zero reason they would have any effect on the fuel mileage changing for the last part of the trip.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i'd check your vacuum lines, especially ones from the fuel tank to the front.

and unless you have a LOT of weight in that trailer, i doubt you need to use the tow/haul option. I have a 16 foot landscape trailer and the only time i use the T/H is if I have stuff in it.
We have been moving stuff from New York State to Florida. I said we probably have at least 500 pounds in the trailer on any given trip down.

But we come home “light”.

I’d say we probably have done at least a dozen roundtrips in the last year and a half

Is there any general rule of when to activate the “tow/haul” feature?

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have not cleaned the throttle body yet. Are there any good videos showing how it’s done?

I have not changed the PCV valve either.

I’ll probably plan on doing all of this with the spark plugs.

We finally have a buyer for the house on Long Island. We should be in Florida full-time by the end of September. I can actually get my truck in the garage and work on it there.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
We have been moving stuff from New York State to Florida. I said we probably have at least 500 pounds in the trailer on any given trip down.

I’d say we probably have done at least a dozen roundtrips in the last year and a half

Not really. Some will say any time you're towing, others will pick an arbitrary number and stick to it.

Personally? I use tow/haul whenever I am hitched up to my flatbed with a load on it and going more than a few miles. Same with our camper or boat. If I found myself using a small utility trailer (I'm not sure when I would, considering whatever can fit in one of those will fit just as well in my box), I probably wouldn't use it at all, but I drive an HD, not a 1500. I'm not sure which you have, the 5.7 can handle a lot but you'll really need to experiment to see if it starts to hunt for gears when not in tow/haul while pulling.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine

500 pounds? you can fit three times that in the back of your truck and never use the T/H option.

when my landscape trailer is empty (over 1000 pounds) i never use the T/H unless i have stone , dirt, rocks, mulch, equipment or anything heavy in it.

personally, i think you're wasting gas using the T/H with such a small trailer and a light load. The T/H shifts the transmission differently and doesn't let you have over drive.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
I have not cleaned the throttle body yet. Are there any good videos showing how it’s done?

I have not changed the PCV valve either.

I’ll probably plan on doing all of this with the spark plugs.

We finally have a buyer for the house on Long Island. We should be in Florida full-time by the end of September. I can actually get my truck in the garage and work on it there.

heh...bet you're glad to bail out of NYS....lol. I was..moved to Kentucky 4 years ago and never regretted it.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
500 pounds? you can fit three times that in the back of your truck and never use the T/H option.

when my landscape trailer is empty (over 1000 pounds) i never use the T/H unless i have stone , dirt, rocks, mulch, equipment or anything heavy in it.

personally, i think you're wasting gas using the T/H with such a small trailer and a light load. The T/H shifts the transmission differently and doesn't let you have over drive.
I’ll try it without it on the next trip.

Going to change the plugs when to florida

wrench78

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So are suggesting a mid grade fuel? Or regular? I thought the hemi’s were supposed to run on mid grade fuel at a minimum
The owner's manual call for 89 octane for the 5.7L Hemi 87 octane is acceptable but may hear light ticking noise.

OP
OP
H

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
heh...bet you're glad to bail out of NYS....lol. I was..moved to Kentucky 4 years ago and never regretted it.
We are very conservative. I’m a life NRA member and a bow hunter. As much as despised the Cuomo’s this hag is worse! It’s been a long time leaving! Florida is a much more a Free state

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
We are very conservative. I’m a life NRA member and a bow hunter. As much as despised the Cuomo’s this hag is worse! It’s been a long time leaving! Florida is a much more a Free state
actually, most southern states are a lot free-er. I felt like i was released from prison and i found my freedom moving down here. The only complaint I have is the heat and humidity! It takes a while for my northern blood to adjust....

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I did a trip from my home in NC to NY a couple of weeks ago, I did notice that once I hit the hilly areas above Delaware, my mileage was down from the flat areas south of the Delaware river. The hills do kill the mileage, IMHO.

Moved from NY to northern coastal NC 5 years ago to retire. Have not regretted the move for 1 second.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was thinking it may be time for spark plugs. Which plugs work best in the 5.7L hemi? Typically on these long trips we are pulling a 5x10 enclosed trailer.

Are the O2 sensors easy to change? Where are they located?

Thanks
I think I used top ones from NHL and felt a difference with performance. We worth the expense. O² sensors are along exhaust, should be 2 on each side, passenger and driver before catalytic converter. Weird in my case, I had a 2003 2500 5.7 but only had 3 O² sensors, mechanic theorized that the truck, one of first built in 2003 had been adjusted for a 5.9 gas engine exhaust system that was probably left over from the 2002 2500 gassers. Those had 3, 5.7s were designed for 4. And one more thing, when replacing one of the wires of the sensor became compromised so even with new sensor the CEL was still on. Had to find replacement connectors and that fixed issue. Be gentle with the wires.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ANY vehicle gets better gas mileage (unless its electric) during the first 1/2 of the tank. Don't believe me? Try stopping and refilling before you go through the 1/2 way mark then check your mileage. I don't know the scientific reason, just from 50 years of driving.
No, no it doesn't. The gas mileage stays the same. Maybe the fuel gauge goes down a little faster because of the geometry of the arm, but the actual fuel useage or MPG does not somehow change.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I used top ones from NHL and felt a difference with performance. We worth the expense. O² sensors are along exhaust, should be 2 on each side, passenger and driver before catalytic converter. Weird in my case, I had a 2003 2500 5.7 but only had 3 O² sensors, mechanic theorized that the truck, one of first built in 2003 had been adjusted for a 5.9 gas engine exhaust system that was probably left over from the 2002 2500 gassers. Those had 3, 5.7s were designed for 4. And one more thing, when replacing one of the wires of the sensor became compromised so even with new sensor the CEL was still on. Had to find replacement connectors and that fixed issue. Be gentle with the wires.
The number of O2 sensors depends on the configuration of the exhaust and how many catalytic converters it has. It has zero to do with whether the engine itself is "designed" for it. A typical V-8 (or V-6, or anything with two cylinder banks) will have an O2 sensor on each side for each cylinder bank. These are called the upstream sensors and provide the primary feedback to the ECM for how much fuel it is supplying to the engine. Basically controls how rich or lean the engine is running. Since there is one for each bank you can control how much fuel independently goes to each side to help optimize performance. Any additional O2 sensors are generally called the downstream sensors and located after any catalytic converters. The primary purpose of these is to simply monitor the cat and make sure it's working as desired (reducing emissions) and have very little to no feedback to the ECM in regards to adjusting the fueling in the engine. If the exhaust Y's together into a single pipe with only one cat, you only need one downstream sensor. There is no reason to have two downstream O2 sensors unless you have two cats.

nascar72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So are suggesting a mid grade fuel? Or regular? I thought the hemi’s were supposed to run on mid grade fuel at a minimum
When towing or working the truck use the recommended mid grade but if not towing anything and just driving around (work, home, errands etc) you'll be just fine with regular 87 fuel. Premium fuel is just a waste of money if your vehicle doesn't specifically require it.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
we have hemis....it's the nature of the beast not to get great MPG's. But, i've looked at large SUV's, both foreign and domestic, and they don't get much better MPG's either.