Fuel gauge stuck on full after pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilkechr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey everyone I know this has been talked about a couple of times but I cannot find any posts with the exact same scenario.
My fuel pump went out a week ago. I opted for the bosch replacement. I didn't run into any particular issues during the install and went with the lifting the bed strategy. After installing the new pump my truck starts again but on the way home I went from 1/2 a tank to full. My gauge is stuck on full and will not go down. I really really really do not wanna have to mess with getting to the pump again if I don't have to does ANYONE know how I can diagnose/fix this without having to drop the tank or lift the bed again. I would greatly appreciated yalls time master senseis

OP
OP
W

Wilkechr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Check your connections, especially your ground, I would not replace with anything but OEM.
At the time I couldn't find a reasonably priced mopar part. And a lot of people really hyped up bosch. When you say ground should I check at the plug. There was a ground wire that came from my bed to cab I just reconnected it because I lost it's screw when I did the fuel pump.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't want to say this it may be the fuel pump sending unit in the tank or it may be stuck.

OP
OP
W

Wilkechr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't want to say this it may be the fuel pump sending unit in the tank or it may be stuck.
Is there anything I can do to test it without removing it. Or what could I have done wrong during install to cause this

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First time I replaced the fuel pump in my 04, I had the same issue. Turns out the float was stuck in the up position, so, tank always read full. Thought it was odd since I had less than half a tank of fuel. Unfortunately you would have to take it back out to check it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I can't answer your fuel level question

Bosch made 2 fuel pumps for the 2008 Dodge Ram

BOSCH 67777
Engine VIN D

BOSCH 66114 Info
Engine VIN 2; With 26 Gallon Tank

It does not explain about the VIN D & VIN 2 are ??

OP
OP
W

Wilkechr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can't answer your fuel level question

Bosch made 2 fuel pumps for the 2008 Dodge Ram

BOSCH 67777
Engine VIN D

BOSCH 66114 Info
Engine VIN 2; With 26 Gallon Tank

It does not explain about the VIN D & VIN 2 are ??
One is for the mds version and one is non mds I got the mds version

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You could find a real rough road and hit her hard, it may jar the float, also unhook the ground and see if the gauge changes, Even hitting the brakes hard to slosh the fuel around.
also recheck the wiring & plugs.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What money you save on aftermarket usually goes bye-bye when you have to do the job over again.

Check out Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics. He's got lots of lessons on using non-OEM parts.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 116101 miles.

OP
OP
W

Wilkechr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The big pigtail connector (I think that's what it's called) under the driver side door has some wires for the fuel pump is there a way to check ground there or check the fuel sending unit at that location. I do find thss situation annoying because everyone recommended bosch lol. Sorry for the late reply guys but again thank you for your time and replys I am learning and this is helpful. I do have a haynes manual but it only helped so much

OP
OP
W

Wilkechr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You could find a real rough road and hit her hard, it may jar the float, also unhook the ground and see if the gauge changes, Even hitting the brakes hard to slosh the fuel around.
Where can I unhook the ground. At the pump??. It is so hard to get to

OP
OP
W

Wilkechr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also just to let you know I hit a hard ass speed bump and now it reads empty instead of full

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
For a 2008 Dodge Ram ....
You should be able to go to a Big Auto Swap Meet, or whatever you call them in Texas,
Look for the Swap Meet guy with all the Older vehicle SHOP MANUALS

Buying a Haynes or Chiltons manual in a auto parts store is a waste of money.

If you have a CD player , buy a 2008 Dodge Ram shop manual on CD.

or a years subscription to

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Where can I unhook the ground. At the pump??. It is so hard to get to
My idea was unhook the ground to see if it changes, I know on the older stuff, the sending unit was a variable ground, from the gauge, there usally was a ground wire from sending unit to frame of the truck, this was pre electric pumps in gas tanks .

that plug you talk about , just unplug that and see what happens, if you can figure out which wire is the fuel gauge feed, with it unplugged , it likely will read one way and ground that wire it will read the other way. ( to the gauge, not the pump.

But if you have a different reading after the bump, I think your float is stuck, and not moving .
think you have to do it again, pita. if you do pull it check it before reinstalling if you don't see a problem with the movement of the float, pull the relay, so the pump don't run with it out of the tank, and make sure you put it in so the float don't hit the side of the tank.

BTW if you still havn't got it working and lift the box, make damn sure to have lots of good blocking, I know a fellow doing some thing like this with one jackall, and the jack slipped out
His mother found him when he did not come in for supper.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a 2008 Dodge Ram ....
You should be able to go to a Big Auto Swap Meet, or whatever you call them in Texas,
Look for the Swap Meet guy with all the Older vehicle SHOP MANUALS

Buying a Haynes or Chiltons manual in a auto parts store is a waste of money.

If you have a CD player , buy a 2008 Dodge Ram shop manual on CD.

or a years subscription to
You can also download it from the forum. The updated link for the factory service manual is located on the last page of the posting.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I look for the Shop Manuals for older vehicles

but the shop manuals now have 4 or 5 books, each are 2 inches thick
No one makes any printed manuals, since around 2010

They also are available on CD, so you would have to have a Laptop Computer near the vehicle & that would mean cleaning your hands constantly.

Do the Techs at the dealerships use a stylus or maybe use vocal commands when referring to the Shop Manual software ?

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you probly put the pump in wrong. alot of times thet have a specific orientation. this is why i preach getting service manuals. but nobody ever listens. so they do the job twice