fuel guage reads empty..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i know i bought a LEMON, before i order a new fuel pump is there anything else to check? i've read about the sensor inside the gas tank, so before i spend more money is there anything to check? also anyone have any good luck with these ebay fuel pump assembly's that are 60$?

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't have any other advise for you but if I was going to the trouble of dropping the tank to change that pump I surely wouldn't go with a ebay part. Genuine OEM only so I don't have to do it twice.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
push all the fuses down (just in case). Make sure they're all good. Double-check the ground's back there.
I'll check the fuses in the morning because it literally was a little over half full and I got to my destination and went in to grab food, remote started it came bsck outside it was off. Hop in start it truck says empty and fuel light on, definitely odd but whatever, hopefully it's a fuse.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have any other advise for you but if I was going to the trouble of dropping the tank to change that pump I surely wouldn't go with a ebay part. Genuine OEM only so I don't have to do it twice.

Kk I'll look for a OEM one, is it easier to remove the 6bolts to the bed?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If your pump is still working good,you can buy replacement sending units for it.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah gauge started to work again so the sending unit is going out
This is exactly what happened with my 2014. I have heard that newer models, maybe Gen 5, the pump and sensor are 1 unit?

They diagnosed my sensor as bad but pump was good so just the sensor was
replaced. FWIW, once my gauge went to E it stayed there and never moved.
It's been 2-3 years or so and all is still good, pump still pumping, sensor is
still sensing, gauge is still gauging.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is exactly what happened with my 2014. I have heard that newer models, maybe Gen 5, the pump and sensor are 1 unit?

They diagnosed my sensor as bad but pump was good so just the sensor was
replaced. FWIW, once my gauge went to E it stayed there and never moved.
It's been 2-3 years or so and all is still good, pump still pumping, sensor is
still sensing, gauge is still gauging.
Yeah just tired of working on this truck lol I sold my 05 chevy silverado 2500 because I got tired of working on it, thought I was upgrading I know it's high mileage but DAMN, literally sensor after sensor and just everything else with this truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah just tired of working on this truck lol I sold my 05 chevy silverado 2500 because I got tired of working on it, thought I was upgrading I know it's high mileage but DAMN, literally sensor after sensor and just everything else with this truck.
You bought an 11 year old high milege truck,what do you expect.Things go to hell after awhile.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You bought an 11 year old high milege truck,what do you expect.Things go to hell after awhile.
My 20 year old truck wasn't this bad, it also had 100k more miles, but this truck wasn't taken care of at all.. backup camera didn't work, sensors didn't work, lol just was a cheap ass that owned it and didn't care for it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My 20 year old truck wasn't this bad, it also had 100k more miles, but this truck wasn't taken care of at all.. backup camera didn't work, sensors didn't work, lol just was a cheap ass that owned it and didn't care for it.
That's a given,once the truck is getting close to 120,000 or more miles and over 10 years old,it's probably on at least it's 3rd owner. By the time a higher milege vehicle hits it's 3rd owner,nobody is spending any money on it,to maintain it.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Didn’t you purchase the truck from salvage or as a wrecked vehicle? That’s a big gamble.