fuel guage reads empty..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
on my 2010 the back up camera quite, it was the wire into the camera in the tail gate,
If I held the wire into the body, it worked, I put a tie strap to hold the wire steady and it was fine after that.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be sitting down when you hear there price for the fuel pump assembly.
yeah i saw the price, when it goes out again ill just throw a cheap one in, when i painted my truck i had the bed off so its not hard to get to the fuel pump if i have to do it again.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...is it easier to remove the 6bolts to the bed?

It's a LOT easier working on it with the box off! And getting at the tank, wiring, etc. If you have a skid steer or tractor/loader & some 4x4's and small lumber around you can make a box lifting assembly pretty quick and easily. Or quicker yet ....4 strong neighbors! Lift that box right off. But it does take some effort to get the box off. And some of the tank will still be under the cab. I can't remember if the tank opening or Rams is under the cab or box??. But if you have other things you want to work on (suspension/shocks/whatever), it could be worth it to remove the box and do all at once.

1) Cut the 2, 4x4's so they'll span across the width of the box side to side and under each lip (I recommend using 2x 2x4's on end ...sistered & screwed together..I think it's stronger than one knotty 4x4 ). A guy could use chain too, and a garage hoist ...if you can rig it so the chain won't slide...or chip the box paint. Sliding the forks under the box is kind of 'iffy'.

2) Cut down 2x4's into 2x2's, 2x3's .....about 10-12" long to fit UNDER (behind) the box lip and screw at the end of the 4x4's on each side of the box lip. Basically yer lifting up *behind* the box lip and spreading pressure out there.

3) Remove the box hold-down bolts, the taillight wire connector, fuel filler mount screws ..and any other screws/grounds/wires, etc.

4) Slide the Skid steer or tractor forks under the 4x4's and gently lift away. Go slow, make sure nothing is hanging up. You might want a helper to observe the fuel filler clears and doesn't hang up.

It's some work to rig all the above things. Better if you have multiple things to inspect. But once you have your rigging system worked out you can remove the truck box easier in the future. But if it's just the tank you want to work on, probably makes more sense to remove as much fuel as possible and just drop the tank.

Attachments

• Truck Box Removal.jpg
    Truck Box Removal.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: