Heater Blower Resistor Carnage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkarns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happy 4th of July Everyone!

My 2007 2500 has been running through heater blower resistors like a bat outa hell....

Always the same thing....the top of the ceramic separates from the bottom ceramic body.

When this happens my blower will only work on the "high" setting.

I am averaging one every 5 to 6 months.

It doesn't matter the brand or cost of the resistor, always the same result......

Thanks for any insight!

OP
OP
M

mkarns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My 2007 2500 has been running through heater blower resistors like a bat outa hell....

Always the same thing....the top of the ceramic separates from the bottom ceramic body.

It doesn't matter the brand or cost of the resistor, always the same result......

Thanks for any insight!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Possibly too much current going through the resistor because of bad wiring connections, bad ground or selector switch. Also could be the blower motor itself

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks for any insight!

Carefully inspect the wiring harness path from the fan control unit to the blower fan for damage. Remove, inspect and replace all connectors in this path, cleaning any oxidation or compromised terminals.

The best diagnostic test would be to get an Amprobe multimeter and measure the current when the fan is in operation.

As mentioned, if the blower fan windings are compromised, it will always draw excessive current.

If you can't find/borrow or obtain an Amprobe meter, you might have to find a location to install a current meter inline with the fan connection.

OP
OP
M

mkarns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks so much, I'm not much an electrical guy.....but I will point my mechanic in the direction you'uns advised.

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That fan is only held in by like three screws. If the windings are bad, it will do this. A used fan off ebay is cheap and it only takes a few minutes to swap it out. I'd start there and see what happens.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My guess maybe the blower motor is starting to go bad of a short ?
Maybe the bearings on the motor are dry and dragging and causing a High Amp Draw ? have you checked the blower motor ?
Run Amp meter on it to check the draw ?
Tha'ts all I can think of !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martinitime