Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,005 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 671 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My 5.7 Hemi ran pretty well on Mobil 1 FS 0W40. However I kept the OCIs short.. like 5000kms (approx 3000 miles). I was just about to post the same video, when I saw it posted already. I actually saw a video, where one Nissan engineer said that you should change the oil every 3000 miles if you want to keep the vehicle for over 300,000 miles.

Yep saw that too.
If you get good base oil and good additives, 5,000 mile OCI is fine, as many posted UOA's validate to the extent what they measure.

For instance - I ran UOA & VOA of Red Line 5W-30 @ 4,600 miles during a hot summer with some towing.

ZERO change in viscosity. None. NADA.
Additive levels fine, and no hemi ticking.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It does shear down a little but its still a thick oil, there is more to an oil than how well it stays in grade otherwise everyone would be recommending HPL no vii over super car but it's the other way around (super car being seen as the top of the food HPL food chain).

It's not all that important to me anyway as I'd rather run HPL over Mobil one. But it's rare you see that kind of honesty from a company.

Absolutely. I never talked with Dave why the no vii. Idk how much moly additive it has.
Based on some past deductive calcs, 250 ppm is min. for Hemi engines.

Super car was for high performance race engines, just like Red Line.
What is no vii for?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Absolutely. I never talked with Dave why the no vii. Idk how much moly additive it has.
Based on some past deductive calcs, 250 ppm is min. for Hemi engines.

Super car was for high performance race engines, just like Red Line.
What is no vii for?

All HPL oils have very high amounts of moly, can see below the lowest (right column) is 579 for the PCMO, though even that seems low since my UOA of PCMO 5w-20 had just shy of 600 ppm.

Only exception to that is the first row, their "Euro" formula (which is basically their cheap Euro line, equivalent to the PCMO only using a euro ad pack, this is not the "no vii euro"), only 6 ppm but I believe they use something else instead of moly, boron maybe? I remember reading that moly had a negative reaction with the ad pack in their euro line .... which is why I refuse to mix biotech lubeguard in random off the shelf oils anymore because here is a case where doing that would be very detrimental.

Anyway, starting to ramble here, but I ordered 12 quarts of 5w-30 PCMO on the 4th and got myself a very nice discount. Ended up being 145 USD + shipping, so $12/quart, can't beat that for a premium oil these days!

hpl moly.png

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All HPL oils have very high amounts of moly, can see below the lowest (right column) is 579 for the PCMO, though even that seems low since my UOA of PCMO 5w-20 had just shy of 600 ppm.

Only exception to that is the first row, their "Euro" formula (which is basically their cheap Euro line, equivalent to the PCMO only using a euro ad pack, this is not the "no vii euro"), only 6 ppm but I believe they use something else instead of moly, boron maybe? I remember reading that moly had a negative reaction with the ad pack in their euro line .... which is why I refuse to mix biotech lubeguard in random off the shelf oils anymore because here is a case where doing that would be very detrimental.

Anyway, starting to ramble here, but I ordered 12 quarts of 5w-30 PCMO on the 4th and got myself a very nice discount. Ended up being 145 USD + shipping, so $12/quart, can't beat that for a premium oil these days!

View attachment 546334

That's a wild low price. Nice!

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have ordered from EliteRaceFab in the past, twice ... no issues or problems.
I'm the same. I have ordered from them 2 or 3 times and it has been just fine each time. No issues for me at all. I actually had some redline 5w-30 in my cart with them, but decided to order more HPL since they were having 25% off for the 4th of July. I went that route because of issues some people on here have had and figured for the same price basically, I would just go with HPL since I have used it in my 6.4, and wanted to try it in my wife's 5.7!!

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I'm the same. I have ordered from them 2 or 3 times and it has been just fine each time. No issues for me at all. I actually had some redline 5w-30 in my cart with them, but decided to order more HPL since they were having 25% off for the 4th of July. I went that route because of issues some people on here have had and figured for the same price basically, I would just go with HPL since I have used it in my 6.4, and wanted to try it in my wife's 5.7!!

Yeh, @ramffml seems to be having great results/success with High Performance Lubricants oil products. I'm tempted to give them a go.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who wouldn't want to spend 50k minimum on a vehicle that locks you inside to be broiled on a hot day, has limited range, is a potential fire hazard that most fire depts won't touch and will let burn to the ground, and that takes hours to recharge??

I mean sign me up!
Decades ago, I worked at a gas station on a busy Houston, Tx. intersection in the Galleria area. A car caught fire and was engulfed very quickly. The occupants were able to get out without injury. Fire trucks arrived very quickly. As a young buck fireman ran up and commenced to use a large prybar to open the hood (the area of the fire), I saw a more senior fireman grab the young fella, stop him from prying the hood open, and pull him away from the roaring inferno. They just stood there and watched the car burn, and I wondered "Why".
Seconds later, I got my answer when there was a huge explosion from under the hood, which, at that time, the senior fellow and the young buck opened the hood and put out the fire.
It was the battery that the older guy waited for to explode.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeh, @ramffml seems to be having great results/success with High Performance Lubricants oil products. I'm tempted to give them a go.
I have had 0w-40 HPL premium plus in my 6.4 hemi 2500 for this fill since around April. I can't say if it is any better than the 5w-30 redline I have run previously, but so far no complaints. It is keeping the hemi nice and quiet so far. It still isn't as smooth as my wife's 5.7 1500 with 4 quarts of redline 5w-20 and 3 quarts of redline 5w-30 mixed together, but her engine is by far the smoothest hemi we have had...and I think it is 4 or 5 that we have had now between my wife and I. I just hope hers stays nice and quiet!!! Her last durango with the hemi...not so much. Engine had a weird sounding knock/rattle at times. I decided to trade it with under 3000 miles of power train warranty left...I wasn't going to chance it with my bad luck!!!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
picked up 2 more 5 litres of maxlife at Walmart today. 50$ each.
I now have 3x5l in stock and will be doing a few drain and fills this summer before changing the pan/filter. have not bought this yet probably will get the dorman with replaceable filter.
will buy more oil as necessary and will be following the green sheet instructions exactly. will post pics if i remember to take them haha

interestingly in the "reccomended" specs it now clearly states lifeguard 8. maybe my memory is bad but i dont remember that being on the label before? guess its been a few years since i last shopped trans oil as well.

20240707_150038.jpg20240707_150100.jpg

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I now have 3x5l in stock and will be doing a few drain and fills this summer before changing the pan/filter. have not bought this yet probably will get the dorman with replaceable filter.
will buy more oil as necessary and will be following the green sheet instructions exactly. will post pics if i remember to take them haha

interestingly in the "reccomended" specs it now clearly states lifeguard 8. maybe my memory is bad but i dont remember that being on the label before? guess its been a few years since i last shopped trans oil as well.

View attachment 546370View attachment 546371
It shows this fluid to be equivalent to MERCON 5. If that's the case, I'd buy generic Mercon5 and bank the savings.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It shows this fluid to be equivalent to MERCON 5. If that's the case, I'd buy generic Mercon5 and bank the savings.
I dont know of anyone running mercon v spec fluid in the 8 speed and it wont be me trying it thats for sure.
maxlife is a great oil that I have used in many other applications and has been well proven as a suitable zf 8 speed oil on this forum.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont know of anyone running mercon v spec fluid in the 8 speed and it wont be me trying it thats for sure.
maxlife is a great oil that I have used in many other applications and has been well proven as a suitable zf 8 speed oil on this forum.
I read the label in YOUR photos. It showed equivalency between that oil you bought and Mercon5 among others. All the current fluids are synthetic. Anti shudder, anti foaming, among other additives are the distinguishing aspects of a particular fluid application to a manufacturer's guidelines.. If you are wanting to be diligent, why not buy genuine Mopar fluid emblazoned with that particular registered trademark? Just asking! Peace!

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Used to run Maxlife in my supercharged 1GR-FE Hilux. Changed to Lubegard when the transmission was beefed up, this stuff:

It isn't a common fluid in Australia but was bought into the country specifically for high torque diesels that people were towing heavy loads with and leaving them in D, or driving off road on sand in 4x4 in D in high range. Like 200 Series Landcruiser and the 5cyl 3.2L Ford/Mazda engines. Both had owners cooking standard fluids.

I had an analogue temperature gauge on the Hilux that was reading as the fluid exited the transmission, it had a big aux cooler as well. I found the same thing, towing in D or 4x4 high range in D on sand, the fluid temperature skyrocketed very quickly - the engine was just loping along (the supercharged V6 was a torque monster) but the converter was working its **** off and transmission fluid temperature very quickly soared. Dropping it back to 4th when towing the temperature dropped dramatically. On sand, putting it in Low range and making the engine revved kept the transmission fluid cool too. So I then understood the mechanism in those torquey diesels and why they were killing trans fluid.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

What does the asterisk next to "Recommended" say at the bottom?

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm scared of making an move from Red Line 5w/30 after having good reports from Blackstone Labs.

My oil and filter combo that I'm currently using on my HEMI is better than the previous oil combos(Red Line 5w/30 and Royal Purple 20-820).

My HEMI did very good on that combo, but still had an occasional dry start up clatter/chatter.

Using the Purolator Boss PBL 24651/Red Line 5w/30 combo has eliminated that, go figure.
My next oil change is coming up. Red Line 5/30 and I bought both RP 20-820 and Percolator Boss PBL 24651. Previous filters were the RP.10-48, the small ones. I think I'm going with the PBL this time.

Also got the Thermo bypass valve for the transmission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
My next oil change is coming up. Red Line 5/30 and I bought both RP 20-820 and Percolator Boss PBL 24651. Previous filters were the RP.10-48, the small ones. I think I'm going with the PBL this time.

My HEMI is performing well, so far with Red Line 5w/30 and that "Rock Catcher" Purolator Boss PBL 24651, lol.(Previously Royal Purple 20-820's)

Also, My HEMI is much quieter using the "Boss" oil filter ... it hasn't clattered on start up since I installed it about ~ a month ago.

My oci's are at 3000 mile intervals and most likely an certain specific type oil filter probably ain't gonna really matter anyways.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Yep, the tranny heater bypass valve is the "bomb", thanks to Jesse(@caulk04) ...