Hello From DEC. GA.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ULYG5 7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's time to change the tensioner pulley on my 2011 RAM 5.7 Hemi.
I'm trying to find out if it's absolutely necessary to remove the fan shroud in order to replace the tensioner seeing that the pulley is located on the back side of the tensioner. If anyone know about the replacement of the tensioner on this truck, would be very very helpful, not to mention saving money.
Any help would ne greatly appreciated. :) Thanks.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it is absolutely necessary to remove the shroud, but, it gives you a bunch more room. The shrouds are 2 pieces. If you crawl underneath the front of the truck, there are a couple of screws that need to be removed, then a couple of clips that hold the 2 pieces together. Drop the bottom part out and then a couple of screws to remove the top piece. When I did my water pump. hoses, and tensioner pulleys, it took me all of 15-20 minutes to pop the shroud out of the truck.

OP
OP
U

ULYG5 7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again for your help, Aszumilo. I replaced the idler pulley and the tensioner idler pulley without removing the fan shroud in about an 45 minutes to an hour. It got a little tricky when putting the serpentine belt back on. I had to refer to good old google for the belt diagram. You were correct it's not absolutely necessary to remove the shroud. Again thanks for you help.

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again for your help, Aszumilo. I replaced the idler pulley and the tensioner idler pulley without removing the fan shroud in about an 45 minutes to an hour. It got a little tricky when putting the serpentine belt back on. I had to refer to good old google for the belt diagram. You were correct it's not absolutely necessary to remove the shroud. Again thanks for you help.
Happy to help. Glad you got it fixed