I lost the 2 coarse thread bolts that holds the grill on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I hate to admit it but when I took the grill off while changing the headlight bulbs I have lost the 2 outside coarse thread bolts that thread into plastic and hold the grill on.
I have the 2 fine thread bolts that screw into the Metal to help hold the grill on,just lost the outside bolts that thread into the plastic on the ends.
Thought I had them with the rest of the bolts in a plastic cup but they were not there.
Anyway if someone knows what size thread they are I can pickup a couple at a parts store tomorrow.

Thanks

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for the offer but I need to get this thing together tomorrow ,Had it apart for over a week and needing to drive it.
Going to the parts store tomorrow and will find something close enough to work.
Looks almost like a hex head wood screw !

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I hate to admit it but when I took the grill off while changing the headlight bulbs I have lost the 2 outside coarse thread bolts that thread into plastic and hold the grill on.
I have the 2 fine thread bolts that screw into the Metal to help hold the grill on,just lost the outside bolts that thread into the plastic on the ends.
Thought I had them with the rest of the bolts in a plastic cup but they were not there.
Anyway if someone knows what size thread they are I can pickup a couple at a parts store tomorrow.

Thanks
****, I did the other... I had all my bolts on a tray, and dropped one of the fine threaded bolts straight down, but somehow it still hasn't fallen out of the truck... I just decided with 3 of the 4 "main" bolts, and the 2 "tiny" side bolts, I didn't care that much about the 1 bolt, after I saw it drop in such a way the only risk was running it over, if it ever decides to fall out. (that gap in front of the filter box, behind the rad.)

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks

Well for those in a similiar Predicament concerning these hex head screws with the coarse threads .
Here is what I did.
Maybe it will help someone if they ever lose one like I did.

I took one of the hex head screws out of the grill and checked to see if it would fit and it did, so I went to the loacl hardware store with it and asked the teenager there if he could find me a reasonably close match and he found couple of 8x3/4 stainless steel sheet metal screws that fit reasonably well in the plastic end holes and a couple of 1/8 x 3/4 flat washers ,I thanked him several times and asked him how much I owed him and he told me $1.90.

Although I could have just used them on top I took another of the hex head screws out of the grill and put the 2 New 8x3/4 Stainless sheet metal screws in their place and took the Darker colored Hex head screws that came out of the grill and they worked fine for the end screws that hold the grill on.
They are not 10MM ,I think I used a 5/8 for them If I remember right ,But hey for $1.90 My issue is solved.

Hope this helps someone else who might have lost theirs.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I accidentally broke one off, (I had the impact driver switched the wrong way:banghead:) I couldn't drill the piece out, try drilling a metal screw in plastic! I drilled all around it, got the broken piece out, filled it with JB Weld, then drilled it out and went with a wood screw. The flap that comes back from the grill covers it, so I'm the only one who knows, except for a couple hundred million internet users.:eek:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of my larger machine screw bolt holes on the grill came pre-stripped.

It was stripped so well that just turning in the bolt with a socket & extension by hand, was too much.

The rad flap cover is now securing that until I'm in the mood to retap the hole or holes.
There's no point in only doing 1 of 2 of the bolts. :cool:

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
****, I did the other... I had all my bolts on a tray, and dropped one of the fine threaded bolts straight down, but somehow it still hasn't fallen out of the truck... I just decided with 3 of the 4 "main" bolts, and the 2 "tiny" side bolts, I didn't care that much about the 1 bolt, after I saw it drop in such a way the only risk was running it over, if it ever decides to fall out. (that gap in front of the filter box, behind the rad.)

Yeah I know what you mean,I am afraid I will find the 2 that I lost the hardway !

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I accidentally broke one off, (I had the impact driver switched the wrong way:banghead:) I couldn't drill the piece out, try drilling a metal screw in plastic! I drilled all around it, got the broken piece out, filled it with JB Weld, then drilled it out and went with a wood screw. The flap that comes back from the grill covers it, so I'm the only one who knows, except for a couple hundred million internet users.:eek:

I grew up on a farm and we used JB weld sometimes for temporary fixes in the field,pretty good stuff.

Also used WD-40 and Gray Tape.
If it moved and it wasn’t supposed to use the Gray Tape.
If it wouldn’t move and you wanted it to move use the WD-40 !

And baleing wire of course .

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of my larger machine screw bolt holes on the grill came pre-stripped.

It was stripped so well that just turning in the bolt with a socket & extension by hand, was too much.

The rad flap cover is now securing that until I'm in the mood to retap the hole or holes.
There's no point in only doing 1 of 2 of the bolts. :cool:

That should work too

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've owned the older version of this for many years;

Mine is so old, it's in a steel case and might even be made in Canada. :cool:

My old tap and die set is close to 40 years old,and is in a big old steel case,with 2 layers to it,one layer is SAE,the other layer is Metric.I've had to replace a few of the smaller taps,because of being a bohunk and breaking a few,lol.
If you were closer i probably have the proper sized metric helicoil laying around to fix your machine thread,but the gas to drive here for just 1 helicoil probably isn't justifable lol

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old tap and die set is close to 40 years old,and is in a big old steel case,with 2 layers to it,one layer is SAE,the other layer is Metric.I've had to replace a few of the smaller taps,because of being a bohunk and breaking a few,lol.
If you were closer i probably have the proper sized metric helicoil laying around to fix your machine thread,but the gas to drive here for just 1 helicoil probably isn't justifable lol

LOL, according to Google Maps, the drive is only about 36 hours on the TransCanada or 35 hours via US2 East. I'd like to see this old set you have but that's a bit far to drive unless you also have freshwater-filled caves with 72°F water. :cool:

To the best of my knowledge, all of the Cave diving in the West is quite off the beaten path, with no drive-in stuff, and it's all pretty frosty cold, glacier-fed and the like.

IIRC, the set I had covers both SAE & Metric or I have 1 set of each. I had a quick scan around the storage area and didn't see the case anywhere. I'm starting to suffer from paranoia that I forgot it at a job site somewhere.

It might be time to collect all my tools from all over the house, organize them, and put them back in the basement shop. I'll ponder that idea after I hike today. :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441