Intermittent power steering problem at slow speed or stopped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
On my 2007 Quad Cab 1500, rwd, 5.7L HEMI with 103K miles. My power steering is acting up intermittently at low speeds, like turning slowly into a parking space, or turning the steering wheel with the truck stopped. I checked the fluid level in the PS pump, it was a little low. I added some fluid, but it still happens the same. It isn't all the time, some days I can drive without the power steering problem happening. It acts like it goes from power steering to manual steering and back to power steering again several times.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Open hood turn wheel make sure the belt is not slipping on the pulley. Also you should flush the system I usually use lucas power steering fluid with older systems at the end of the day if none of that works you may nee da new pump.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X2 on new pump, is there allot of air bubbles in the reservoir when turning wheel.

OP
OP
Harley Harrold

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I plan to flush the PS system, and re-service the system. If that doesn't work, I will replace the PS pump.