Is there ANY "Fix" for these poor Ram Transfer Cases?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once again last night, I almost wrecked my truck in my own flippin' back yard while trying to back up the fairly steep incline on moist (just because of evening dew) grass.

These transfer cases, where the rear tires need to "slip" before the front tires get any power at all are THE most ******** things I have EVER seen on a supposedly 4WD drive vehicle in my life!
What retard ignoramus engineer designed such a feature!?! This person is so stupid he gives ******* a bad name! Probably the same idiot who gets the optional 32 gallon gas tanks to register "empty" when they still have 6 gallons of fuel in them!

Yes, I can see how this mode of operation might be necessary for the 4WD Auto feature/setting, but when I put my F'ing vehicle in 4WD LOCK OR especially if I need it to be in 4WD LOW gear ratio, I want the F'ing hubs to stay completely locked and I want 4WD ALWAYS to be engaged. I want 4 wheels spinning NOW when I apply some throttle take my foot off the brake. ALL my older Rams and even the 4X4 Fords I have owned operated this way, which is exactly how real 4WD should be.

Doing the simple "back up the hill" (going forward is the same issue) in my own back yard as I describe above is an F'ing nightmare, . Unless I whack the throttle and just go balls-out (which makes me likely to hit a tree or maybe even the corner of my house) this simple task can be nearly impossible to do.

Is there ANY way of getting rid of this ******** "rear-spin-first" delay to have 4 WHEEL POWER, ALL THE TIME/INSTANTANEOUSLY when I need it?!?

:banghead:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes! It's Brandon's switch. I have it, works well. It locks the clutch so there is no slippage. Well made kit, easy peasy plug and play and priced reasonably.

Did I post correct link??? What was damage ($$$) on it? U said plug and play? just into tranny? Dash??? lol

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Link not work

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, so since they changed the TRANSfer case system for the 2019's, I wonder??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Transfer cases get upgrades Buyers who equip their 2019 Ram 1500 with a four-wheel drive drivetrain can choose between two electronically controlled transfer cases: the BorgWarner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD. Both transfer cases engage via a push-button control mounted underneath the rotary gear selector on the instrument panel. The transfer cases are upgraded internally for more robust performance in conjunction with the increased payload and towing capabilities of the new truck. Changes include a larger-diameter main shaft, relocation of the chain and sprocket for improved bearing support, and improved lubrication. Also, the on-demand system is enhanced for quicker response and higher front output torque capacity. The 48-12 part-time transfer case provides three operating ranges 2Hi (2WD), 4Hi (4WD) and 4Lo (low-range reduction 4WD) plus a neutral position. 2Hi is designed for any road surface at any time, while 4Hi and 4Lo are for offroad use or slick surfaces. The driver can switch between 2Hi and 4Hi while the truck is in motion. To engage 4Lo, the transmission must be in neutral. The low-range reduction ratio (crawl ratio) for 4Lo is 2.64:1, which provides increased low-speed torque capability for pulling power and improved driver control in off-road conditions. The on-demand transfer case has 4Auto, 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo selections. 4Auto provides full-time 4WD, responding automatically to provide maximum traction in all road conditions. 2Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo function equally to the part-time transfer case.

WONDER if switch needed...............I sure as heck do not know.....

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yes, Last I heard Brandon was investigating the 2019 on-demand transfer case which is an upgrade the 44-44. He thought his switch would work but was not sure about the wiring.

My thoughts are you would still want the switch as the new one is still clutch operated to the front differential which, I believe, still requires the rear wheel to spin to engage the fronts.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like the new transfer cases are intended to address the complaints about the old 44-44, though I didn't know there was a durability problem with the 44-45. Perhaps they just share some parts and if one got upgrades the other one got them too (where applicable).

It would be nice if they included a transfer case with a true AWD (all wheels distributing torque at all times through a differential gearset) in addition to locking 4H/4L .

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’m soo glad I got a power wagon with a manual shifting transfer case. I’m going to gander that this issue is for the shift on the fly 4x4’s?

Sent from an undisclosed location in Iraq

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The “upgraded” tcase are still BW units and function the same.......

Brandon is doing some “investigating” on his sisters truck or something to see if his switch will work on a 5th gen.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Shaking my head... When you buy a 4x4, you expect it to be a 4x4... These trucks today are nothing more than sissyfied SUV's with open beds... I wish I still had my '78 Bronco... I would put it up against anything FCA is marketing today... The auto manufacturers stopped building real 4x4 in the early 90's and they have been going downhill ever since.

Unit bearings instead of full-floating spindles, center axle shifting instead of locking hubs, shift on the fly transfer cases instead of mechanical shifting, lack of positive lubrication points on moving parts, shift "knobs" instead of shift levers, CANBUS controlled engines, transmissions and transfer cases, factory-made axles instead of universally known Dana's... All sorry-ass idiot-designed items that do nothing except make the running gear weak and wear-prone. Perfect for dealers so they can sell you a new shiny ************* every few years...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I’m soo glad I got a power wagon with a manual shifting transfer case. I’m going to gander that this issue is for the shift on the fly 4x4’s?

No,

This is a 1500 problem.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
No,

This is a 1500 problem.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

If I hadn’t gotten the power wagon it would have been a rebel. Glad I didn’t go that route.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This is a 1500 problem.
The 1500 transfer case with the "problem" is only with the BW44-44 full-time transfer case, the one with the "Auto 4X4" button.
If I hadn’t gotten the power wagon it would have been a rebel. Glad I didn’t go that route.
The Rebel, Outdoorsman and any trim level below the SLT came with the BW44-45 a part-time transfer case just like in your PW. The BW44-45 is electronic "Shift on the Fly"