Kayak rack with bed cover options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm looking for a reasonably priced removable rack to be able to haul my kayaks with my soft bedcover while towing my travel trailer. I've looked at a lot of options but most require clamping the rack to the bed rails, which I can't do because my bedcover clamps to the rails. I checked into the Billie Bars, but they're low profile and since my kayaks are longer than the bed, I need them to hover over the cab.

Aside from Thule and Yakima, are there any more options that don't cost over $1k? We only haul them 3-4 times a year with the camper, so I really don't want to spend that much on a rack that isn't used all the time. Most of the time they're in the bed, but I need the bed to haul other things when we're camping.

Suggestions?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Perhaps consider attaching them to the travel trailer? Like a modified tongue-mount bike rack essentially. Not sure how involved it would be to build it but it would be an option that lets you keep the bed cover on.

It's not something I've looked into but I do know that most bed racks of any style need to clamp to the bed rails, some might require you to remove the 'post hole' covers in the corners of the box and slide them in but that would still make it impossible to use a lot of bed covers. You're in a difficult situation that is going to be tough to work around without spending some cash.

Alternatively, I believe there are some companies out there that make actual roof racks for Ram trucks (maybe they're universal, I don't know, I've just seen them from time to time, I have never looked into them) that could be attached to the roof of the truck and removed when not in use.

Edit: Here's a sample that came up on a quick google search. Like I said I've never researched them but here's the general idea:
Pickup roof rack

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
seems to me, the camper bumper mount would be the way to go (provided your camper has a bumper)

1721146920517.png

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It does have a bumper, but it isn't rated to carry anything more than the spare tire and has no receiver in it. I actually looked at that setup for my last fifth wheel since I had a high bumper and it had a hitch. At the time, Vertiyak was the only option and they were $1,800 and my kayaks still hung low enough where we went to scrape.

The Vertiyak would work now in terms of cost (~$600), but the low bumper coupled with no receiver would mean that even if I added one, the kayaks would 100% scrape.

The yakups that you posted have a shroud on the bottom, but they're also $2,300. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Perhaps consider attaching them to the travel trailer? Like a modified tongue-mount bike rack essentially. Not sure how involved it would be to build it but it would be an option that lets you keep the bed cover on.

It's not something I've looked into but I do know that most bed racks of any style need to clamp to the bed rails, some might require you to remove the 'post hole' covers in the corners of the box and slide them in but that would still make it impossible to use a lot of bed covers. You're in a difficult situation that is going to be tough to work around without spending some cash.

Alternatively, I believe there are some companies out there that make actual roof racks for Ram trucks (maybe they're universal, I don't know, I've just seen them from time to time, I have never looked into them) that could be attached to the roof of the truck and removed when not in use.

Edit: Here's a sample that came up on a quick google search. Like I said I've never researched them but here's the general idea:
Pickup roof rack

I could do a stake pocket setup if I can find one reasonably priced. You can get the clamp on styles for literally a couple hundred bucks. The only reason I don't want to spend a lot of money is because of how infrequently I need it. It will spend more time in the corner of my shop than on the truck. I suppose if I can't find another economical solution that I'll have to consider spending the coin.

freeswimmingfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I put a “Truck2go” retractable tonnue cover with T slot rails on my 2500. Then added a Truxedo Elevate rack that I remove when I’m not using it for kayaks. I’m pretty happy with the results

Attachments

• IMG_3413.jpeg
    IMG_3413.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3414.jpeg
    IMG_3414.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3582.jpeg
    IMG_3582.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3586.jpeg
    IMG_3586.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3589.jpeg
    IMG_3589.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3676.jpeg
    IMG_3676.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 7

NHXJer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Cheapest" option is to just go with a roof rack.

I got this Thule off FB Marketplace for $100
It's not ideal - it is a long way up to the roof of the truck, but my kayaks are only 10ft and fairly light
But I also needed my bed clear because I tow a Fifth Wheel Camper
Kayaks.jpg