Lifter Failure / Hot Oil / Better Cooling etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah agreed about the current one… it’s not a Setrab part.. it’s a Mocal brand that I actually got from improved.

Not saying improveds branded stuff is bad by any means… just over priced. And I’m frugalAF

We shall see where this goes.
Realistically what kind of oil temps are you seeing,and under what conditions.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
227-230 on the highway going up a slight grade (not really a problem)
260 towing a ~6500lb camper @ 55mph through tougher grades.
The truck is certainly capable of pulling the camper but if I didn't keep backing off the temps just kept climbing and I'm not trying to be that guy going 40 with his hazards on

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
227-230 on the highway going up a slight grade (not really a problem)
260 towing a ~6500lb camper @ 55mph through tougher grades.
The truck is certainly capable of pulling the camper but if I didn't keep backing off the temps just kept climbing and I'm not trying to be that guy going 40 with his hazards on
Just throwing this at you,but i wonder if your oil temp sensor is whacked,as you shouldn't see temps approaching 230 if you're unloaded and doing 65 mph,maybe if your cruising at 90 mph,but not at 65,unless you have 4.56 or deeper gears.
Next time you're out and the oil temps show 225+,stop and use an infared temp gun on the oil pan,and see if the sump temps match the gauge

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just throwing this at you,but i wonder if your oil temp sensor is whacked,as you shouldn't see temps approaching 230 if you're unloaded and doing 65 mph,maybe if your cruising at 90 mph,but not at 65,unless you have 4.56 or deeper gears.
Next time you're out and the oil temps show 225+,stop and use an infared temp gun on the oil pan,and see if the sump temps match the gauge
3.92's at 80mph, high elevation and grade all around bad for performance.

Will def try taking a reading from the oil pan good thought thanks!

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well I guess that depends on what’s considered ‘appropriately sized’… allowing 240° coolant / 260°+ oil temps under any circumstances is not appropriate to me, and thus my side quest lol.

I never said 240 and 260

I said today's 220 and 230 are better than 180 and whatever. I stand by that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I never said 240 and 260

I said today's 220 and 230 are better than 180 and whatever. I stand by that.
I like 195 to 205 better then 220+,especially when an oil is measured at 210F . It's going be tough to get a hemi's oil temps down to 180,even with a 160 t-stat,unless you're running a big oil cooler and no thermostat inline with the cooler. The hotter the oil temp,the tighter the bearing clearances are,and the hotter the valve springs run,and a hot valve spring starts to lose it's tension,and is prone to fatiguing all that much faster,contributing to cam issues

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I like 195 to 205 better then 220+,especially when an oil is measured at 210F . It's going be tough to get a hemi's oil temps down to 180,even with a 160 t-stat,unless you're running a big oil cooler and no thermostat inline with the cooler. The hotter the oil temp,the tighter the bearing clearances are,and the hotter the valve springs run,and a hot valve spring starts to lose it's tension,and is prone to fatiguing all that much faster,contributing to cam issues

??? block is grey cast iron. Coefficient of thermal expansion for cast iron is 1/3 that of aluminum.
Hotter oil is lower viscosity.

Cummins engines ran 220 stats for prime power, 230 for standby power. 50,000-80,000 hour design life.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You don't have a variable thermostat.
I know, but those are the typical temps depending on driving or stop and go etc.

And the stat controls coolant below 220F regardless of ambient. The cooling system is already sized for worst case heat.
It's not, lots of guys reporting temps in excess of 250F while towing. That's unacceptable to me.

Running engines colder than you can promotes deposits.

Well, I run the best oil I can find which apparently is extremely good with detergents and cleaning (lots of proof/talk of this on bobs), I'm not worried about this aspect in the slightest. However, hotter temps contribute to ping and that's something I definitely notice.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I know, but those are the typical temps depending on driving or stop and go etc.

It's not, lots of guys reporting temps in excess of 250F while towing. That's unacceptable to me.

Well, I run the best oil I can find which apparently is extremely good with detergents and cleaning (lots of proof/talk of this on bobs), I'm not worried about this aspect in the slightest. However, hotter temps contribute to ping and that's something I definitely notice.

That's wild - did they change the cooling system over the years? Or maybe it's bigger on the 6.4 in the heavy duty?
Well, yeah - if coolant climbs past 220F - that's no good for longevity for sure based on the charts I used to see.

The thing is, I never go past 220F - not in 90+ degrees towing. So my assumption was that was everyone's experience. My bad.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's wild - did they change the cooling system over the years? Or maybe it's bigger on the 6.4 in the heavy duty?
Well, yeah - if coolant climbs past 220F - that's no good for longevity for sure based on the charts I used to see.

The thing is, I never go past 220F - not in 90+ degrees towing. So my assumption was that was everyone's experience. My bad.

Coolant I can't recall off the top of my head, I rarely worry about it; the 250F + is oil temps. Many of us see those high oil temps while towing in the 5.7

I'm not as wealthy as some here or yeah I'd just spring for a 6.4 lol, it's clearly a more capable truck/engine.

Essentially the lower tstat just gives us more of a runway before hitting 250F. The coolant runs cooler, so then so does the oil. However, if I were to climb a little longer hill, then eventually my temps will still hit 250F, it'll just take longer to get there now because my starting temps are lower.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Coolant I can't recall off the top of my head, I rarely worry about it; the 250F + is oil temps. Many of us see those high oil temps while towing in the 5.7

I'm not as wealthy as some here or yeah I'd just spring for a 6.4 lol, it's clearly a more capable truck/engine.

Essentially the lower tstat just gives us more of a runway before hitting 250F. The coolant runs cooler, so then so does the oil. However, if I were to climb a little longer hill, then eventually my temps will still hit 250F, it'll just take longer to get there now because my starting temps are lower.

Damn! They got an engine oil cooler on that thing? My truck does, as far as I can tell by counting radiators.

The highest oil temp I've seen on EVIC is 228F, pulliing 7,500 trailer in 90+ degree weather.

I'm not rich either - I set up a web crawler search for a 2500 gas without beaucoup miles. It took a year to get a hit on it. Horse lady didn't like the truck after a year and 13,000 miles as "too big" for her, according to the dealer she traded at. Got a Jeep Cherokee instead, of course. So I got a full year depreciation on an almost new truck.