Lube Job Stupidity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Medicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hi everyone. I have never done a lube job before and my 2012 1500 needs one badly. I got a cheap lube gun from Harbor Freight and thought "how hard can this be?" I put the truck up on ramps and went crawling around under the front end suspension and could not find a single grease zirk fitting. Are these hidden under covers? I've read some are difficult to find but I'm totally surprised I couldn't find a single one. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

OP
OP
Medicman

Medicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thanks. My next question was to be "how do I get rid of the annoying squeaking?" I guess that'll be a rebuild. Thanks for the info.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Depends on what is squeaking. Any clues to share about where the squeak is coming from?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have leveling spacers on top of your struts, those are known to destroy your upper strut mount and cause squeaking.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FYI, don't lube the door hinges (I know you didn't say you were going to). They're a compressed graphite and brass compound..lubing makes them wear out early. I learned that on a Jeep yrs ago.:banghead:

You could lube the hood latch mechanism with a few drops of gear lube *if it needs it*. If/when I buy an older used vehicle in the rusty N here, I usually pull off the back of the rear driveshaft (at the diff), pull off the U-joint caps and add a little (compatible) grease in the two caps and compress with a C-clamp and reinstall. Compatible and compress are the key words. But in CA I doubt that'll be necessary at all.

If you don't know any history of the vehicle, probably a good idea to think about replacing the fluids. Or check them to see if they look pretty good. You could have the dealer service dept check the service history on it. Maybe the former owner had it serviced at the dealer and it's recorded in their system.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can add a zerk to about anything, Google it. It is sad those days of actually lubing vehicles is gone.

OP
OP
Medicman

Medicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
The squeaking, creaking sounds are usually heard when i'm driving slowly over a speed bump or entering a driveway, or sometimes when I'm stepping out of the truck. Sounds like it's coming from the front end. "MRACK" was right about the leveling spacers. I had those installed when I bought the truck back in 12/20. It's a "government" vehicle according to a check on my VIN. Thanks for all the info.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The squeaking, creaking sounds are usually heard when i'm driving slowly over a speed bump or entering a driveway, or sometimes when I'm stepping out of the truck. Sounds like it's coming from the front end. "MRACK" was right about the leveling spacers. I had those installed when I bought the truck back in 12/20. It's a "government" vehicle according to a check on my VIN. Thanks for all the info.
Take them off and make sure you replace both upper strut mounts. If you want to keep the leveled height, use bilstein 5100s or some sort of lift strut.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

If those are frame mount rock rails, make sure they aren't contacting the underside of the body. I had a similar squeak after coming down hard on one, didn't put two and two together until someone on this forum told me to check it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Only the 4 wheel drive Generation 4 Rams have 1 zerk fitting, it is on the front shaft.
It is very difficult to see, it is different from zerks that you normally see

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Only the 4 wheel drive Generation 4 Rams have 1 zerk fitting, it is on the front shaft.
It is very difficult to see, it is different from zerks that you normally see

As far as i know,that's only on the 2500 and heavier trucks.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the front wheel off the other day, 4th gen rwd, and there was a zerk fitting on the UCA, near front bushing

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s not a grease zerk, that’s a ball mount for the ride height sensor on trucks equipped with air ride.
Well that's a lesson that maybe I should wear my glasses more often. Thought it odd that it wasn't present near rear bushing on the UCA. thank you for the education

Stever68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks. My next question was to be "how do I get rid of the annoying squeaking?" I guess that'll be a rebuild. Thanks for the info.
If you find out what's squeaking pass it along please. Something in my suspension is squeaking and it is annoying the hell out of me