Only takes 5 quarts to fill??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCush

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
New to the forum, hope i put this in the right thread, did a search and cant find the answer for a
2013 ram sport with 5.7, oil question.
ive had it a few years, always drained the oil with a cold motor on a flat level surface. once it stopped dripping, i plugged it up and removed the filter. filled the filter, replaced the filter and then started filling the oil up top. this truck always has taken about 5 quarts (1.25 gallon) jug. the oil is filled inbetween the dots in the cross hatched area on the dipstick.
Recently found out that these things are supposed to have a 6-7quart capacity??
what am i missing? no alarms, no low oil light. oil psi is in the low 30s at idle, low 50s at operation.
any advice would be much appreciated.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
New to the forum, hope i put this in the right thread, did a search and cant find the answer for a
2013 ram sport with 5.7, oil question.
ive had it a few years, always drained the oil with a cold motor on a flat level surface. once it stopped dripping, i plugged it up and removed the filter. filled the filter, replaced the filter and then started filling the oil up top. this truck always has taken about 5 quarts (1.25 gallon) jug. the oil is filled inbetween the dots in the cross hatched area on the dipstick.
Recently found out that these things are supposed to have a 6-7quart capacity??
what am i missing? no alarms, no low oil light. oil psi is in the low 30s at idle, low 50s at operation.
any advice would be much appreciated.
About 2 quarts is what you're missing,lol.
Manual says 7 quarts or 6.6 litres,i'd start adding more oil.
BTW you should be draining the oil just after shutting down engine while it's still hot,and all the crap in the pan is still in suspension in the oil. Once it settles out,and lays on the bottom of the pan,it doesn't drain out

OP
OP
R

RCush

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
About 2 quarts is what you're missing,lol.
Manual says 7 quarts or 6.6 litres,i'd start adding more oil.
BTW you should be draining the oil just after shutting down engine while it's still hot,and all the crap in the pan is still in suspension in the oil. Once it settles out,and lays on the bottom of the pan,it doesn't drain out
thats funny. :eek:)
and a good point. i change my oil around 5-6k miles, always running penzoil full synthetic 5w-20 but cold oil is thicker. i will give that a shot. think that will make up the 2q difference though?
if i add even 6q, im going to be way above the cross hatch marks on the dipstick.

OP
OP
R

RCush

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
7 quarts is what I always ran.
Where does that show up on your dip stick? are you within the hatch marks? i thought maybe i had the wrong dipstick but checked the pn to be sure.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Where does that show up on your dip stick? are you within the hatch marks? i thought maybe i had the wrong dipstick but checked the pn to be sure.
Are you starting the engine after the oil change. The best way i've found to check the oil level,is i pull the dipstick,lay it on the fender when the engines hot,let the engine cool overnight,and re-insert the dipstick and check the oil the next morning.
I'm guessing you're not starting the engine and letting it run for a few minutes after the oil change,then checking the level.
If you don't run the engine after the oil change,you'll never get a correct dipstick check.
If you're in Georgia,i'd seriosly consider running 5W-30.
Read the note at the bottom,even Ma Mopar says 5W-30 is okay.

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 21

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fill it to seven qts on next change ,then add a new mark on your dipstick where the oil is reaching . Maybe the dipstick is not the correct one.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dipsticks do tend to get brittle and snap someone could of put the wrong one ive replaced mine already you can get it on amazon for $25 il get the link when i can.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Ram and Dodge had a batch of bad dipsticks in 2015 in certain models. My 2015 Durango 5.7 showed full at 6 quarts and at 7 showed it overfilled. I purchased the new dipstick after finding out about the dipstick issue on the challenger forum.

After changing the dipstick, all was well with the world.

If you have an AA or AB part number on the dipstick it has a high probability of being marked incorrectly.in anything with a 5.7 for 2015. Other years could be affected

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RCush

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thank you all. i have not been starting the motor and checking afterwards. just filled to the hatch marks. never got a low oil pressure light though or any alarms.
i did check the dipstick PN against mopar website and its the correct one.
i will run the engine and let that settle, recheck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
thank you all. i have not been starting the motor and checking afterwards. just filled to the hatch marks. never got a low oil pressure light though or any alarms.
That's your issue,"not starting it" after the oil change,it won't fill the filter,lol. I'd also seriously consider 5W-30 for your area

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
silly question for you, ever check the oil in between changes?

OP
OP
R

RCush

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's your issue,"not starting it" after the oil change,it won't fill the filter,lol. I'd also seriously consider 5W-30 for your area
i do prefill the filter before installing it. will that still make a 2 quart difference?