Overheating at idle with a/c on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwfnetworking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2012 Ram 1500 5.7l

- Recently replaced cam/lifters with compcams Stage 2 camshaft kit.
- removed clutch fan and installed efan.
- installed 180 thermostat

Radiator and a/c condenser seemed in good shape when removed during camshaft upgrade Removed them as a unit (so I did not see both sides of the radiator and condenser) and rinsed with hose. Radiator flushed with hose and it seemed to move water well.

Truck only overheats at idle with a/c on. Once driving with the a/c on it will cool off to around 205 degrees. With a/c off idle temp never gets above 210 and driving temp 200 or below. It will take about 20-30 minutes at idle to reach 230 degrees. At that temp I also noticed the the a/c will be blowing warm. A/c compressor still engaged.

I'm thinking of having the a/c looked at and possibly replacing the a/c condenser. I had this issue with another vehicle, but it had obvious fin damage to the a/c condenser.

Suggestions or questions?

Robert

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your fan clutch not the Efan the 2012 has one probably needs to be replaced.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didnt see that Your efan might have issues I honestly dont know why people do this the clutch fan is more reliable NGL my truck runs cool as fk my other ram has a Efan its hotter all the time.