Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
The connector is a PITA to get off for sure. On the left side do you see the square/rectangle tab with the red arrow below? Press that inward. It will force the plastic holding legs open around the tubing. Twist the tubing to break it loose and pull it out while depressing the tab. It’s normal to take multiple tries as it’s a poor design when the connection is older and dirty.
Ty very much. I kinda figured it was something simple, but I've never seen one. TYVM.

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
The connector is a PITA to get off for sure. On the left side do you see the square/rectangle tab with the red arrow below? Press that inward. It will force the plastic holding legs open around the tubing. Twist the tubing to break it loose and pull it out while depressing the tab. It’s normal to take multiple tries as it’s a poor design when the connection is older and dirty.
Any advice on getting it clea as possible?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
WATCH this

Dodge Challenger

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did the plastic covers get taken off the battery terminals, sounds silly but it happens.not myself has happened but seen it

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
Any advice on getting it clea as possible?
Update: fuel pump replaced. Still will not stay running. Started with some starting fluid, ran for 10 secs and died. Pump is working. Any sensors I need to check?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You still have a fuel delivery issue if it started with starting fluid. I would start with checking fuel pressure at the fuel rails and then looking at fuel injector circuitry. Could be a common ground or common power issue. Might even be a PCM issue. Might be this, might be that, could be this, could be that is kind of what you get over the internet. Throwing more parts at it without proper diagnosing is a fool's errand.

Not trying to be an ass but given your stated life situation, you are falling in the trap of a lot of people with low economic means of never having the money to get it professionally diagnosed upfront, but over time would have spent double throwing parts at it based on guesses and still nothing to show for it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You still have a fuel delivery issue if it started with starting fluid. I would start with checking fuel pressure at the fuel rails and then looking at fuel injector circuitry. Could be a common ground or common power issue. Might even be a PCM issue. Might be this, might be that, could be this, could be that is kind of what you get over the internet. Throwing more parts at it without proper diagnosing is a fool's errand.

Not trying to be an ass but given your stated life situation, you are falling in the trap of a lot of people with low economic means of never having the money to get it professionally diagnosed upfront, but over time would have spent double throwing parts at it based on guesses and still nothing to show for it.
Hard to have said it better!!!!!

If you really want to save money, learn how to do a proper diagnosis yourself. It will be work to learn, but you will be FAR AHEAD of 98% of supposedly professionally trained techs.

I learned to fix stuff WAY BEFORE the internet was even a background thought and Star Trek was long from having imagined the stuff we now take for granted like communicators or voice activated computers.

In the 60s and 70s, you learned from books, from your Dad, Uncles and their friends. In that day and age the owners manual told you how to adjust the carb, valve lash and a ton of other stuff. Now it tells you not to drink the battey acid. We wonder why stupid grows exponentialy.

Find an old, or semi old guy and suck up as much knowledge as you poasibly can because it is a rapidly disappearing and irreplaceable resource.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
I have no pressure gauge at the moment, but I pressed the schrader valve in with screw driver and nothing. So I don't think I'm getting any fuel pressure. Do I actually have to have a gauge?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What brand of pump? Mopar always recomended, but $$$. I used a delphi in my '15, still cost me about $300.

And it is absolutely possible to have a bad new pump, especially with aftermarket, IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
I used my Fixd OBD ll scanner, and finally got a code. P2172. TPS, throttle body

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I used my Fixd OBD ll scanner, and finally got a code. P2172. TPS, throttle body
That is a problem but it is not your lack of fuel pressure problem. I would solve that first before dealing with this.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The P2172 OBD-II trouble code is one of number of possible codes that indicates that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected a malfunction in the operation of the Throttle Actuator Control System.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2172
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Read that, it tells about causes & possible repair

Common Mistake Replacing the Throttle Control Actuator or PCM when other malfunctions are setting this code.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2172
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My name is Tim. I own a 2010 ram 1500 quad ST, 4.7 liter. Engine light came on so I took it to autozone and got a bad ignition coil, but they failed to tell me the exact cylinder. So, I have replaced them all, along with all 16 plugs and wires. I replaced the battery as well. All new. Now the engine will not even turn over. We heard click in and around the fuse block. So could there be a fuse or relay bad?? We have tapped on the starter but still nothing. Could it be the fuse to the starter solenoid? Or maybe one of the 3 ASD relays? Aby suggestions? I would hugely appreciate the insight. Thank you and have a blessed day.
The Law of Descending Logic mandates going back to the last thing you messed with to find the most likely culprit!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
93 replies of folks trying to help. OP still bouncing from pillar to post, randomly replacing parts and trying to fix the issue with, no service manual, no diagnostic trees, no scanner, no testing tools, and barely rudimentary OBD reading equipment. Also, refuses to follow a logical and progressive diagnostic process, or at least sure hasn't posted one.

Honestly Timbo, lots of us are willing to help, but you are not even remotely making that possible. I am unsubscribing from this thread, as I can't help, even though I would like to.

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
Well Dean sorry you feel that way.
Ok here's the latest. I replaced the throttle body. Now the engine won't even crank. Just clicks as it did when I began all this, and replaced the starter. I removed the new starter and bench tested it. It works fine. I've used a jump start device

OP
OP
T

timbo6723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
800 amps, and all it does is clicks. All connections are tightened. Fuel pressure is at 50 psi

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Cut your losses. You are in over your head.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I haven't lost anything
Ignition coils
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Starter
Battery
Fuel Pump

Throttle Body

Unless I missed something, the above is what you have thrown at it so far. I would imagine that it was not free and cost something.