Rear Air Bags and Height Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Here are my notes for adjusting the heights. Aftermarket adjustable links:

01c-Self Leveling Adjuster.JPG

Attachments

• 01a-Self Leveleing Adjustment.pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 01b- Self Leveling Forum Notes.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 2

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

View attachment 546542

Thanks John. They are the links we got for my father's truck. I couldn't remember to post the link.

OP
OP
B

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have you checked for broken springs? Could have a broken front spring causing the rear on that side to carry more weight. Or a broken leaf in the rear spring pack.
Good thought. I had not but just did earlier today. All look good.
That above I posted is the app on my android phone. If you notice, I selected 3500. It is specific to the rear only air springs which is what you have.
You can see it here in this screen shot, it refers to the rear only.
View attachment 546533
I finally got to where I needed to be in AlfaOBD. Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to get me moving in the right direction.

I first conducted a Compressor Circuit Test which completed successfully. This test sets a code (C2212) but the AlfaOBD software warns you that this would happen and to just clear the code. I had some trouble clearing this code but finally succeeded after a couple of tries.

I then tried to do the Component Air Mass/Pressure/Ride Height Readings. I got a prompt that says "Started. Please wait...". I initiated this test three times and waited up to about 10 minutes with no readings appearing. Not sure what to think of this one. Wait longer? This attempt also set the same code each time I tried it but the software does not warn you about this unlike the Compressor Circuit Test. Maybe this indicates a fault in the system?

I have not tried to do a manual fill because I would like to know what the pressure of the individual bags are first. I will keep trying to get these readings but I ran out of time today. If this test keeps failing with AlfaOBD I think that my Autel scanner can show me this information.

View attachment 546542
This is great information- thank you John! I am going to order a pair of these links as soon as I am done posting this.

I don't think that I will have much time in the near future to continue to pursue this issue any further but I will report back with any new findings as they develop.

THANKS for all of the help and ideas gang! Great bunch of folks on this forum.

OP
OP
B

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Another update- here are some of the readings that I got on an Autel scanner and my take on what they mean. Please correct me if I am misinterpreting these readings:

These two photos show the value (in inches?) of the left side versus the right side. Higher on the left than the right which is what I am finding with a tape measurer, measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel well arch on level pavement. At the time these readings were taken the truck bed has probably 150#'s of weight in it. By my measurements, the right side sits about 1/2" lower than the left. This increases to about an inch with a heavy load in the bed. Note that Level Calibration has been completed so the module "thinks" that the truck sits level but it is not.

Air Bag 1.jpg Air Bag 2.jpg

This photo shows that the pressure is identical in both air bags.

Air Bag 3.jpg

My plan at this time is to replace the factory linkages with the adjustable linkages from Revel Performance; these are going to arrive this Friday. I will slowly increase the length of the right link and will expect to see an increase in the psi of the right bag and an increase in height of the right side.

As always, any other thoughts/advise is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Now you're getting somewhere. When we put the links on my father's 2018 DRW I remember it being sensitive. In other words make small changes until you get it where you want it. Like 1 or 2 turns at a time and drive it in between changes to see where it settles out.

OP
OP
B

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Now you're getting somewhere. When we put the links on my father's 2018 DRW I remember it being sensitive. In other words make small changes until you get it where you want it. Like 1 or 2 turns at a time and drive it in between changes to see where it settles out.
I will definitely make small changes and monitor the system after each change. I just got notified that the links will be arriving today instead of tomorrow, and I am anxious to get them installed. The real test will be when I get the camper loaded back onto the truck, which will probably be a few weeks. I will continue to provide updates on my progress.

Thank you for your continued advise and recommendations!

OP
OP
B

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Latest update. I was finally able to empty the truck bed and observe the live data with no weight in the bed. This is what was shown:

Air Bag 1.jpg

This is with the factory links, empty bed on level pavement. By my tape measurement, the right side was lower than the left by about 1/4". My previous tape measurements, from about 8 months ago, showed the right side lower than the left by about 1/2" with the bed empty. So I'm not sure what to think about that, but I guess that a 1/4 inch difference is not a big deal and I can live with it.

I left the factory link attached to the left side and attached the adjustable link to the right side. After a little adjusting to lengthen the right link, I got the bed level according to my tape measurements. This is what was shown on the live data:

Air Bag New 1.jpg

So the left side dropped down a bit (without any adjustment on that side) and the right side went up a fair amount. The bed is level to probably within 1/8" according to my measurements at this point. The real test for me will be then I load up the heavy camper.

I will report back once I get the camper loaded and play around with the adjustable link.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Sounds good. And same issue & results we had after getting the adjustable links.
Questions though. Are you letting the truck calibrate with you in the driver seat? And how much fuel in the tank? 1/2 tank?
I ask because both driver and 32 gallon fuel tank is on the left side and may be considered.
The real test is with the slip in camper unit in the bed of course. And loaded with fresh water.

OP
OP
B

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds good. And same issue & results we had after getting the adjustable links.
Questions though. Are you letting the truck calibrate with you in the driver seat? And how much fuel in the tank? 1/2 tank?
I ask because both driver and 32 gallon fuel tank is on the left side and may be considered.
The real test is with the slip in camper unit in the bed of course. And loaded with fresh water.
Very good questions and both something that I had not thought of. Yes, I am in the drivers seat and the fuel tank is 3/4 full. Definitely two points to keep in mind.

The bottom line is at this point I am pleased with the results and I am convinced that I am on the right path. Thank you for the continued input and advise! I will report back once I get the camper loaded and the bed leveled.

OP
OP
B

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here is another update on my progress. My camper is finally loaded onto the truck and I have been making small adjustments to the right side link, measuring the height of both sides with a tape measurer (ground to top of rear wheel well) and occasionally monitoring the live data of the air bag system. After each adjustment of the link I drove the truck for several miles and rechecked the height measurements of each side before making another adjustment. I also cycled the system between the Alternate Trailer Height and Normal Ride Height several times.

My initial goal was to level the bed of the truck from the 1" difference that I had to 1/2" or less. By my measurements I am now within 1/4-3/8", with the right side still lower than the left. Honestly, the following photos of the live data are inconclusive as I did not check this data with the original link in place on the right side with the camper loaded on the truck. So I don't have a "before" and "after" comparison of these readings with a heavy load in the bed, just with no weight in the bed.

While I am overall happy with the results, I am surprised at some of my findings/readings as I slowly lengthened the right link. Just to reiterate, I leveled the bed by extending the right link slightly before loading the camper (see post #28).

1. I am surprised at how far I had to extend the link to raise the right side 5/8-3/4 of an inch. According to the link instructions from Revel Performance, two turns should result in about 1/4" change in height; so 8 turns should result in about a 1"change. I made the mistake of not keeping track of how many turns I made to the link to lengthen it, but I lengthened it no less than 12 turns, probably closer to 15 or 16.

2. As I lengthened the right link the left side height increased as well, but not as quickly. All told it rose 1/4", which wasn't helping me achieve my goal.

3. As I lengthened the link, I expected to see a difference in pressure between the two air bags, with the right side slowly gaining a higher psi reading than the left as I made adjustments. This did not happen as the photos show.

Here is the live data after my final adjustment. These reading are with me in the drivers seat (185#'s) and 1/2 tank of gas:

Readings 1.jpgReadings 2.jpgReadings 3.jpg

System pressure in Alternate Trailer Height:

Alt. Trailer Height.jpg

It is easy to see the difference between the left and right sensor arms after my adjustments. Left on the left, right on the right:

Left Sensor.jpgRight Sensor.jpg

While certainly a good improvement, and within the goal that I was hoping for, I am surprised that the right side isn't much higher than the left by now considering how much I lengthened the right link. I suppose that I should probably call this good and move on with my life, but I cannot help but wonder if I can do better. Perhaps replace the factory link on the left side with my other adjustable link and start shortening it? IDK.

Unless someone has any other thoughts or advise I think that at this point I will drive the truck/camper around for a few hundred miles or so while occasionally monitoring the height of both sides for any signs of change. I will continue to post updates if I make any further adjustments.

Thanks again to all that have contributed to this post! I wouldn't be where I am now without your help.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I would definitely consider it within a close enough range to leave it alone and see how it does over a period of time.
On my father's truck, we had the set it and forget it mentality unless it started to show a noticeable difference again. It has to be 3 or so maybe 4 years by now and it is still good.

OP
OP
B

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would definitely consider it within a close enough range to leave it alone and see how it does over a period of time.
On my father's truck, we had the set it and forget it mentality unless it started to show a noticeable difference again. It has to be 3 or so maybe 4 years by now and it is still good.
Thank you sir! Really appreciate all of your help!