Sold the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
OK, this is probably true that the big 3 all have crappy dealerships.

But would you buy another hemi now that you're aware of a high risk of reoccurring manifold bolts issue and lifters cam issue? And Chrysler not doing anything to fix it?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

But would you buy another hemi now that you're aware of a high risk of reoccurring manifold bolts issue and lifters cam issue? And Chrysler not doing anything to fix it?
Probably not(unfortunately) due to the discontinuing of the lifetime warranties. I noticed also that FCA did away with the extra powertrain warranty completely. Honestly there's no reason that any vehicle out there shouldn't go 150-200K miles with only minor problems.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Silly question but I guess my answer is yes. I bought a 2014 Big Horn w/Hemi , traded it in then bought a 2019 Laramie w/Hemi knowing full well that some owners had bolt/lifter issues w/Hemis.

I have had no bolt/lifter issues, but my trucks were never out of warranty.

My neighbor has a 2004 w/Hemi he bought new. No issues.

Here are my silly questions; What is the percentage of Hemi owners with bad bolts/lifter issues? How many were not covered under warranty?

On a side note and to be fair. I would not buy any American brand vehicle and let the warranty lapse. Sad to say but there are several Japanese brand vehicles that I would (and have) risked keeping after the warranty coverage lapsed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Turncoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had 2 Ecoboost F150’s and loved them. I’m sure you’ll be happy. Throw a tune on it and you will be really happy! I bought the 18 Ram because of the good deal I got on it. So far no problems but the stack of recalls I got piling up on it is a bit disappointing.

Stevesfirstram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did the same thing. My truck was in the shop so many times I just couldn't trust it anymore. I loved the truck but didn't love the guys at the dealer enough to want to see them all the time. I was tired of hearing how the poor A/C was in spec. Just one thing after another. I should have had a clue when the wipers went out the first week I had it. I is a shame but it just had to go. I wish you guys luck on yours. They are beautiful trucks.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did the same thing. My truck was in the shop so many times I just couldn't trust it anymore. I loved the truck but didn't love the guys at the dealer enough to want to see them all the time. I was tired of hearing how the poor A/C was in spec. Just one thing after another. I should have had a clue when the wipers went out the first week I had it. I is a shame but it just had to go. I wish you guys luck on yours. They are beautiful trucks.
Sounds like you got one of the early 5th gens which had a lot of problems which are mostly worked out by now. Good luck with the Ford. In my experience Ford has just as many problems as Ram does and I hate to say it but the GM trucks probably have the least amount of issues among the domestic brands not that I would ever buy another one.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The thing that put me over the edge was:
I brought my truck in at 8am for a u74 recall.It was a software update. the service writer said it would take 2 1/2 hrs. I came back at 1:00pm. They said it was not ready and they would call me. No call, Went back at 4pm. They said that he went to a dentist appointment. The truck was not ready!
You should have found a different dealership I would never trade my ram for a Ford my software update took a ½ hour hope your not banging your head after buying a Ford :emotions122: and do you know what Ford spelt backward means ? Driver Returns On Foot

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You should have found a different dealership I would never trade my ram for a Ford my software update took a ½ hour hope your not banging your head after buying a Ford :emotions122: and do you know what Ford spelt backward means ? Driver Returns On Foot

I just read this thread for the first time and agree. I can't understand why he wouldn't just go to another dealer. The dealer that I bought mine at turned out to be horrible as far as service, so from my first oil change on I took it to another dealer that's actually closer, and they were very good and fast with the recalls. In fact they stood by me and put in a new fuel filler assembly to eliminate the problem of the pump nozzle getting stuck in it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Sounds like you got one of the early 5th gens which had a lot of problems which are mostly worked out by now. Good luck with the Ford. In my experience Ford has just as many problems as Ram does and I hate to say it but the GM trucks probably have the least amount of issues among the domestic brands not that I would ever buy another one.

Normally I agree 100% with you brother, but the 15 Silverado I bought new was one of the most problematic turds I've ever owned.

Tons of recalls for stupid stuff, the rest they just deemed as "normal "
The worst shifting transmission I've ever owned
Made engine noise on cold starts in cold temps
Drivers side pdl squeaked if temps were below 50 degrees
Horrible laggy throttle response
Interior rattles (typical gm junk) after 2500 miles
Paint chipped off if you looked at it crooked
Waif thin body panels that would dent if I leaned against it and dropped a crooked fart. (Lol)
Thin aluminum hood visibly vibrated at highway speeds

I could go on and on and these were widespread problems. At least mine wasn't a vibrator, but many many had the vibration problem that was largely unresolved.

Gm junk still applies today unfortunately. In my opinion.

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Normally I agree 100% with you brother, but the 15 Silverado I bought new was one of the most problematic turds I've ever owned.

Tons of recalls for stupid stuff, the rest they just seemed as "normal "
Waif thin body panels that would dent if I leaned against it and dropped a crooked fart. (Lol)

I could go on and on and these were widespread problems. At least mine wasn't a vibrator, but many many had the vibration problem that was largely unresolved.

I agree, the company I work for buys GM, they bought 2 Ford's before, (that will never happen again). They will buy me a Dodge but that's all and only because of my request. I don't call any of the Dodge, Ford or GM junk but keeping the check engine light off and the all exterior lights on in a GM product is a full time job for 2 mechanics. After 35 years of the service my Dodge's have given our company they still won't admit how good of a vehicle they've been but it's always been that way. People can have all kinds of problems with a Ford or GM and say nothing but if you have a Dodge that has a tire you have to put air in because of a leak it's a piece of crap! It's always been that way but I just laugh at them and keep smiling while I'm driving away!

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Sure. I don't know how high that "high risk" actually is, but neither really concerns me. If I were to replace my Camaro tomorrow it'd probably be with a 6.4L Hemi equipped Challenger. The new Camaros look like too ricer to me, Dodge is the only one still doing an actual retro look.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tons of recalls for stupid stuff, the rest they just seemed as "normal "

Your absolutely right, I stand corrected. The 2014 and 2015 Silverado’s that I owned were both vibrating **** boxes that couldn’t be fixed after throwing a boatload of money at them. I was actually referring to the earlier models, namely the 2001 Silverado we had in our family for 15 years. Those last two are actually what brought me to Ram. No more GM products for me except for muscle cars.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have fun with your Found On Road Dead vehicle. I have owned many FORDs and boy they always let me down and friends. Make Decent Diesel though heheh. Sorry you had a ******* of a dealer thats bs
I’ve owned 10 Ford trucks (9 F150s amd a Ranger) and 4 mustangs. The only problems have been on old very high mileage vehicles that were driven far harder than they should have been (I was young and beat the **** out of them and didn’t take care of them). This is my first Ram, and I have no problems with it either. Some people have random problems, but for the most part I think any vehicle bought from any big manufacturer here in the states has an overwhelming probability of being trouble free.

I just read this thread for the first time and agree. I can't understand why he wouldn't just go to another dealer.

I’m assuming y’all both overlooked the part where he said there wasn’t another dealer within 100 miles? Most of us are fortunate enough to live fairly close to multiple options for each manufacturer. I live in the Houston area, and I couldn’t tell you how many Ram dealerships I could drive to within a 50 mile radius. 30-40? For others, no such options exist. If I was having a problem getting something fixed and there were no other dealerships I could go to, I’d trade it in on something else as well.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I’ve owned 10 Ford trucks (9 F150s amd a Ranger) and 4 mustangs. The only problems have been on old very high mileage vehicles that were driven far harder than they should have been (I was young and beat the **** out of them and didn’t take care of them). This is my first Ram, and I have no problems with it either. Some people have random problems, but for the most part I think any vehicle bought from any big manufacturer here in the states has an overwhelming probability of being trouble free.

I’m assuming y’all both overlooked the part where he said there wasn’t another dealer within 100 miles? Most of us are fortunate enough to live fairly close to multiple options for each manufacturer. I live in the Houston area, and I couldn’t tell you how many Ram dealerships I could drive to within a 50 mile radius. 30-40? For others, no such options exist. If I was having a problem getting something fixed and there were no other dealerships I could go to, I’d trade it in on something else as well.

Yes, I did miss the one post where he said the next nearest FCA dealer was a hundred miles away. In a way that makes it even more confusing. If you live in an area where there aren't many car dealerships, you have to expect there's going to be a wait for certain issues like recalls.

But whatever, I hope he's been happy with his Ford.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Your absolutely right, I stand corrected. The 2014 and 2015 Silverado’s that I owned were both vibrating **** boxes that couldn’t be fixed after throwing a boatload of money at them. I was actually referring to the earlier models, namely the 2001 Silverado we had in our family for 15 years. Those last two are actually what brought me to Ram. No more GM products for me except for muscle cars.

Gotcha and I totally agree! Yes the earlier chevys weren't bad except for the usual
GM annoyances (interior rattles early on, steering/suspension component, alternators and starter failures at 50-60k, fluid leaks, etc)

I had a 1989 Chevy K1500, standard cab, long bed with the 350 that was a very good truck. I still miss that one.

I also agree I should temper my GM junk comments....lol. my wife's 16 equinox isn't a bad car really. It too has had some early sensor failures and such that are annoying, but overall it's a decent car and we like it.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha and I totally agree! Yes the earlier chevys weren't bad except for the usual
GM annoyances (interior rattles early on, steering/suspension component, alternators and starter failures at 50-60k, fluid leaks, etc)

I had a 1989 Chevy K1500, standard cab, long bed with the 350 that was a very good truck. I still miss that one.

I also agree I should temper my GM junk comments....lol. my wife's 16 equinox isn't a bad car really. It too has had some early sensor failures and such that are annoying, but overall it's a decent car and we like it.
and not that its related but GM's FWD transmissions haven't been very good over the years either..............

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That's true, they have not always been the best.

I've owned a couple of Cavaliers over the years. The ones from 2000-2004 were good cars. We also had many in the fleet at work at a former employer as managers vehicles and many had 220k plus on them and all we did was oil changes, tires and brakes. They were very reliable cars.