Spare Tire Crank/Holder System Check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VOwens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was driving down the highway this week on the way home and bang in front of me this guy's spare tire came out from under the rear of his truck and fortunately skidded off into the ditch. Must have given him a wake-up call as he stopped. I stopped for a quick look and to give him a hand tossing it into his bed. The cable broke causing the tire to drop. Who ever checks that stuff...right?

Today I went out and lowered mine down, checked the cable and the crank mechanism and gave it all a little greaseless lube before I cranked it back up tight. All was well, but the 15 minutes or so I spent doing it left me feeling better. Even gave the spare a pressure check and a squirt of air. Was also a nice refresher on the jigsaw puzzle jack storage under the passenger seat.

Going to do the same to my travel trailer here soon as well.

Might be time well spent when doing other maintenance.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I check tire pressure on the spare when I check the tires, which is quite often. It is easy since the valve stem faces down. I lower the spare at least once a year and lube up the cable and anything else that can be lubed. When it is down, I treat the tire with Aerospace 303 Protectant to help preserve it. I also use a one piece tool from Steelman to lower & raise the spare which makes it pretty easy.

1716982059448.jpeg