Suggestions for replacing stock Firestone Transforce AT 285/60/20 tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Looking for suggestions for replacing my stock Firestone Transforce AT 285/60/20 tires on my 2020 2500 diesel. Reaching 30k on the originals. I tow a 5W with ~ 1300 lbs of pin weight. Trying to balance comfort and quiet of these with something a little tougher. Would like to hear what you've done. Thanks in advance.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S. I like them as they are quiet, great in the rain. They work fine towing my 7000 lb TT. They are not aggressive and i would doubt they would be good on snow but i live in Florida so thats not a factor with me.

MadJimboSlice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with Jay, Michelin Defender LTX 100%. I live in Alaska, and I used the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts. The mile on those tires is very low but i did love the winter weather traction. I do a lot of towing in the summer and so far, the best tires for milage I have used are the LTX's. I have 2 sets of OEM wheels and run Blizzak's in the winter as I do not tow much of anything. this has so far been my best tire setup. The interior of AK has both extreme heat (90's) and freezing temps (-50's). I live about 100 miles from the closest city which is Fairbanks.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 35x12.5x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on mine. Not much louder than stock. Definitely worse mileage being bigger than stock tires and it being the 6.4 hemi. Almost 10k miles since I put them on and still look brand new. Can't see any wear at all.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For quiet and durability... Michelins... that's what is on my 2500 now. At ~40k miles on them, they still have roughly 50% tread remaining and I tow often with it.

That said, for not much more noise a good AT tire is the Cooper Discoverer AT3. I've had a lot of success with those. My last set made it almost 60k miles before they were touching the wear bars and that was on a dually pulling quite the load.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have had GREAT luck with General Grabber AT2's (now ATx's). They have a similar tread pattern to BFG's All-Terrain TA/KO's, but they're a touch cheaper, I've gotten 50k+ out of every set I've bought, usually closer to 60k and they weren't down to the wear bars yet but I hate letting tires get that low. They're a more aggressive tread and a tad noisier than some other AT tires but not so loud you have to crank the stereo up.

I'll be switching to them probably next spring once my stockers are done (they're getting low but I think I've got another winter in them still). I drive a LOT, I bought this '22 new in June of '23 (a leftover) and I have 22,500 on it now, I don't like these Firestones.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I really liked my Cooper Discoverer ATP II's that I had on my 16 2500. On the the 3500 SRW I have now, I wanted something a little bigger than stock & Cooper only made the Discoverer AT3 XLT in that size. They are alright but they are really more aggressive than I was wanting & they are a little noisier than stock. I will probably go back to the ATP's after these wear out. I expect to get 40-50k which is what I got out of my other Cooper's

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Michelin LTX M/S tires hands down (E Rated).

Fantastic control on the road, quiet, exceptional in wet road conditions, long wear capabilities, and good in the snow, too. Easily balanced as they balance out with minimal weight, even for a 10-ply tire (recommend road force balancing be done).

They're not a snow tire per se, but if you're not putting on dedicated winters for that time of season, then this is a great tire to consider for all season usage.

Plus they have a fantastic warranty as well.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really liked my Cooper Discoverer ATP II's that I had on my 16 2500. On the the 3500 SRW I have now, I wanted something a little bigger than stock & Cooper only made the Discoverer AT3 XLT in that size. They are alright but they are really more aggressive than I was wanting & they are a little noisier than stock. I will probably go back to the ATP's after these wear out. I expect to get 40-50k which is what I got out of my other Cooper's
Those Cooper ATP II's look interesting and the Gerneral APT is another interesting tire. The nice thing about the General APT is it is 3 peak rated. Both look like they would have better traction than the General Grabber HDs the dealer put on my truck before I bought it.

The Grabber HDs have almost no grip leading me to need to use 4wd very often anytime off pavement, but they are wearing good.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another vote for the Michelin LTX tires. I've run them on several of my 3/4 tons over the years and have always been happy with them. Even in the snow, when we lived in MN. On my 22 Ram, I went with the LTX A/T2 just for something different. I put them on at 1000 miles and have about 14K on them now. Very happy with them so far.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I changed mine to cooper discovery ATP. Great tires, no road noise. Did great in the snow. Handles my 11,000 lb 5th wheel great.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. No complaint. Gas mileage went down a bit...but I've had Nittos for years and usually average about 50-55k miles. I rotate every oil change.

David Oakes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I-6 HO
I have found Goodyear Wrangler Duratrack tires to be excellent for towing. Very quiet compared to the Firestone that came on my 3500.

Since I tow for a living, it doesn't hurt that I have found a tire shop on my usual route that sells used ones with about 80% tread remaining for only US$80 each. With around 4500 miles per round trip, any savings are welcome.

And regular tire rotation is ultra important.

OP
OP
D

dhuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I ended up selecting Michelin Defender LTX Platinums. Haven't towed yet but performed very well in heavy rains.

Jason LeMar 62675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM 2500 HD
Engine
6.4L
I am interested in your review of the Mich Defender Platinums. I too am looking at those tires, and while the tread pattern is different, the current reviews and expected wear are very very interesting... thanks! Great thread here.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am interested in your review of the Mich Defender Platinums. I too am looking at those tires, and while the tread pattern is different, the current reviews and expected wear are very very interesting... thanks! Great thread here.
I'm also interested in those. My 24 2500 Rebel came with Duratracs. Noisy AF from day one and very stiff, but I knew to expect that with an aggressive tread pattern. Sure, they look cool on my Rebel, but I hate them. I hate to toss good tires and may run them a while longer, but there is a reason you can find used Duratracs (even almost new) everywhere on Marketplace.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agreed. I'd like to hear your opinion on them after you've run them for a few thousand miles.