THIS is what a gear selector should look like for an electronic transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was with my neighbor today when he stopped in at a Lincoln dealership. I noticed the gear selector setup on a small Lincoln SUV and got a a salesman to unlock it so I could get a picture. Beats the hell out of the radio volume/gear selector/ fan knob (depending on which one you happen to grab) in the Ram.20180317_164844.jpg

OP
OP
R

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That arrangement is bulky because they use cables to link to the transmission. My point is that only an electrical switch is required, it should be as small and unobtrusive as possible. The ine I saw on the Lincoln comes closest of any I have seen to doing that. I still just don't care for the rotary knob and think this arrangement is much better.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That arrangement is bulky because they use cables to link to the transmission. My point is that only an electrical switch is required, it should be as small and unobtrusive as possible. The ine I saw on the Lincoln comes closest of any I have seen to doing that. I still just don't care for the rotary knob and think this arrangement is much better.
The Lincoln arrangement on some vehicles was recalled because people were turning off the car instead of shifting, because the gear and starter buttons were so close and looked so similar.

Go figure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I think this whole grabbing the gear shifter instead of the radio knob or the radio knob instead of the gear shifter is blown way out of proportion. I have yet to confuse the two. The worst “problem” I have had is accidentally putting it into park instead of reverse or dirive if I was going from reverse to drive, which let’s face it.... Not a big deal

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill take our knob shifter anyday over buttons like that. At least I can do the knob without looking, i can "feel" it click between gears instead of searching for a button.

Actually you bring up a good point....maybe part of the issue with the shifter knob is only SOME of the trucks....the lower trims have the same exact pointed rubber textured feel on the shifter knob as they do the rest of the knobs (radio, A/C).

The higher trims have the nice silver knob, that has a completely different texture. In would be harder in that truck to mistake any other knob for the shifter.

2013-ram-1500-laramie-gear-shift-knobz-knobs-dodge-knob-http-image-trucktrend-com-f-roadtests-pickup-163-1307-our-cars-54441748-jpgi-1d.jpg

2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-tradesman-drive-selection-shift-knobz-knobs-dodge-knob-prevnexti-0d.jpg

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think this whole grabbing the gear shifter instead of the radio knob or the radio knob instead of the gear shifter is blown way out of proportion. I have yet to confuse the two. The worst “problem” I have had is accidentally putting it into park instead of reverse or dirive if I was going from reverse to drive, which let’s face it.... Not a big deal

Yep, my only issue in the first months of ownership was spinning the knob the wrong way a few times in reverse and lurching into park...doooh. a couple times of that and its no problem with the knob. I have NEVER cranked the radio or heat by accident

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think I'd take the knob over that system. I'm sure I'd get used to either though. If I have to reach for it not much difference to me. Ideal for me is console shifter or add shift paddles and hand e-brake just because it makes driving more fun. Especially on dirt roads. Since that's not the case I guess as long as it doesn't go touch screen I'll deal with it.

OP
OP
R

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Lincoln arrangement on some vehicles was recalled because people were turning off the car instead of shifting, because the gear and starter buttons were so close and looked so similar.

Go figure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I don't think that would be a problem on this version. There is a good bit of separation between them on this model. Perhaps a refinement based on feedback.MCX dash.jpg

soSincerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 1500 QC express
Engine
5.7 4x4 3.92 LSD
I think a prius style shifter would be pretty cool

2012_Toyota_Prius_v_interior.jpg

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember as a kid my dad had a Chrysler Imperial with the push button transmission. That thing was huge.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Acura tlx did it nice imo
2015_acura_tlx_shifter_lt_32515_717.jpg

Some of the newest Honda products, when equipped with the ZF transmissions (similar to the ones used by the V6 model FCA vehicles), also use a style of shifter like this. No surprise, since Acura and Honda are the same company.

People will still complain about it. Whether its a turn knob or buttons or a mind-reading computer, some just do not like change.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly wasnt a huge fan of the knob at first, i liked to rest my hand on the column shift while driving, in used to it now and it does free up space. My only complaint is the placement of the gear shift buttons, wish they had paddles or buttons behind the steering wheel. That being said id take my trucks current setup with the knob over any of the other designs that are shown.