thoughts and confused where to turn to get it right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can’t seem to find a tire shop that balances tires and uses strip weights, most use clamp on zinc coated and they’re only balancing the outside, i know that they’re not going to put a clamp on weight on the outside when you have 20” aluminum factory rims, I don’t want to end up at the dealership and take my wallet for a balance spin and empty my wallet, I thought I was getting it done by discount tire but they ended up with clamp weights when they said they have the strip weights, truck has a weird intermittent shimmy at 48-50 mph, took back to wally world where I bought the tires from they just rebalanced them send me on my way good for a bit and shimmy returns and again let them know and the same dancing song plays over and over I’m out $600 and 7 months owning these tires.I read here there and most say road force balance and both wally world and discount tire said they do with all their tires. And the kicker the old strip weights from when the truck was new still on there wt… they both don’t believe me. In anyone’s opinion think I’m right the tires need the proper strip weights used to get the correct balance of these tires and rims that are on my truck

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tire machine tells you what weights to use and where to place them. When they balanced your tires it may of only called for the inside clamp on weights and nothing else at the dealer we use clamp on inside and stick on for outer unless its steel rims. However you went to wallmart and most people those places hire have no idea what they are doing also what tires did you get?

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
Balance doesn’t typically change in a matter of days or weeks. If you have had them rebalanced and it initially helped but got worse again you probably have a defective tire.

OP
OP
yogibear18

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes i agree with you kirk35 about being a defective tire asked that at wally world and said nothing wrong with them and as you said jws123 most don’t have a full understanding what they’re doing other what they know and how they are trained to work, I bought these tires in which they are Evolution HT2 Cooper brand on a black Friday deal at wally world. I’m not a fan of chain tire shops or wally world and some of these independent owned tire or repair shops because they to out to empty out your wallet, I was one of them in working in the garage for 15 years and I always had to try and up sell as much as I can that’s how I made my earn in my 20’s now 55 I see the same thing going on today everyone wants a extra buck I get it but no honest integrity in a lot of these technicians I come across. I was always honest with my customers but management wanted me to pad the bill for his profits and fill my wallet to keep me happy, it’s a no win anyway you look at it, I don’t have any close friends in the field working most of them moved on like myself or out of state.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually the dealer might be the best place to take them. All the dealers and GMs are required to have the latest Hunter Tire balancers. And they don't get used a ton like tire shop balancers do. I buy my tires from Walmart and take them to the local family operated GM dealer for Road Force Balancing. That's what you want to call ahead and ask for. It's the best balancing there is. And you can request self-adhering weights. Around here figure $100-$120 to balance a set. And really...that's money well-spent considering tires wear into a pattern and once they do, all the balancing in the world won't true them up. It's like trying to retrain a dog that's learned bad habits. And well-balanced tires prevent driveline issues and make bearings last longer, etc. It's worth spending the money on a top-tier balance job. So do it right away.

And if I was you I'd try to take it to a small town or family run dealership. Where you can stand there and watch them do the tires. (watch a few Road Force Videos). Don't drop off the truck and wander aimlessly around the dealer. Watch & Ensure they ACTUALLY do the RIM MATCHING procedure (request it). Most tire techs will say, "Awwww gee wiz that's pretty good, we don't need to rim match." That's crap. They're being lazy. And that's what tire techs invariably do. Rim matching is double the work, but you can in some cases almost half the amount of weights by rim matching and achieve a far better balance. I've seen it done a number of times on my own tires. I always have to cajole the tire guys to go through the extra rim-matching process, but it's worth it. Don't let them skip that step. You're paying for it. Make sure in advance you've talked it over with the service manager so he knows you expect in no uncertain terms you want the RIM Matching procedure. Bc, like I say, it's double the work, and they might have to price it accordingly ...but very worth it IMO.
:cheers:

Note Ford dealers also have Hunter Road Force Balancers. My dad just had his done.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Every Discount Tire that i have been to, has the Hunter Road Force Balance Machines.

I have gone to the Dodge dealership, they had one also.
But they knocked the glued on weights off & they did not have a clue, why the balance was off.
My forearms actually hurt, after a drive to Arizona & Back.
I had Dodge try to find out why, i think the Janitor was working the Hunter Machine.

I went to Discount Tire & they saw the weights were missing, the wheel was dirty, everywhere except where the missing weights had been.
Unfortunately, they had to remove all the weights on that wheel & start Fresh $$

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Discount Tire's DO have the HRF Ballancers. There are two main things the HRFB's do better, 1) Apply a road force ...about 1500# to the rotating tire to detect tire/wheel issuues. 2) Rim/tire Match - Attempt to get a better balance by analyzing the wheel and tire ...and by "Matching" the idyosynchrocies of each, achieve a better balance. Sometimes a MUCH better balance. Fewer weights, smoother operation.

Yes, DT does RF balance. And that's good. BUT.....When I asked (two different DT shops) 2 years ago if they rim matched they said usually we don't need to, so NO. "Usually we don't need to" is code for, 'we don't want to spend the time.' Like I say that's half the point of a road force balancing....to get a better balance, smoother running tire (hence fewer weights). If they rim-matched every vehicle they put tires on, they'd probably do 35% fewer tire sets in a day. It really does chew up more time to do a rim matching job. The reason it takes more time is the tire tech has to a) mark the tire AND wheel, b) remove from the balancer, c) put back on the tire changer, d) then let the air out, e) then rotate the wheel/tire so the marks match ...f) then reinflate, g) then put back on the balancer, h) then re-balance again. That's quite a few more steps. Thats why shops and techs often skip it. And if you want it done, you usually have to pay a little extra for it,, which makes sense. Now, maybe some DT shops DO do the RM process. But the two guys I talked to were pretty upfront about they typically don't and why. But you're missing half the benefit if you skip #2 above.

I've literally stood there by the RF balancer while my buddy does the balancing and have seen the RFB score drop significantly. In fact you rarely ever see it NOT drop. Sometimes it can be almost half..meaning it needs far fewer weights. Sometimes the balancer may not suggest a significant 'possible' improvement by rim-matching ....and then me and my buddy do it anyway, usually the improvement score exceeded the machine's 'guestimate'. Sometimes by a lot. So IMO it's worth it to do it, even if the machine doesn't suggest much of an improvement.

On car tires you can get away with probably not rim matching as much, bc smaller, lighter tires, easier to make 'true' and less balance issues. Yer starting with a much lower RFB score (usually) anyway. But on a bigger truck tire, they weigh a lot more (could be 3x more!) and you could initially ...and probably will, start with a pretty high balance score (the balance score which the machine gives), and cut it in half. Or maybe close to half. Maybe MORE than half. Or maybe 25% less. Any reduction is a win for the owner and vehicle. I always write down the before and after scores with a sharpie on masking tape and apply the tape scores on each wheel after it was balanced so I know. And I've had several sets of tires done before my eyes. I'm only offering this info to help fellow Ram owners, it's up to you to do what you feel is best.

So, if you go to Discount Tire, and they're a good place ...or anywhere, you almost have to look the desk guy in the eye and ensure he knows exactly what you're expectations are ....and watch those tire techs like a freekin' hawk and course-correct if (more like when) they didn't get the message from the desk guy. Just my experience of having tires done in 40 years, they'll be thinking of their social media page, or could be taking a coffee break, calling their girlfriend/kid ...or get back on the vehicle they were working on. My experience is they'll take the quick 'out' every time and skip steps. (no offense former tire guys). Those good tire guys out there who are thorough...there's a special place for them behind the pearly gates.

:waytogo:

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can quickly find a local shop that has
Hunter Road Force Elite
&
Hunter Road Force Balancers

Most shops send their employees to a Class on the Hunter Machines, when the Hunter instructor is in the area.

I cannot say that any Dodge Dealership employee has been sent to that class, at least recently.

Any machine is only as good as its operator

Last edited:
OP
OP
yogibear18

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thank you all for your suggestions, when some say be at there back watching them perform their job isn’t that easy when they tell you your not permitted in the service area for liability makes it difficult to know if they are doing the work correctly and I wouldn’t want someone looking over my shoulder thinking I’m doing my job correctly and other thoughts saying this to keep you from seeing what they are and aren’t doing. Most want to get you in and out fast as possible to keep the work flowing

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I left this part out .....but I have conversations with the tire tech who'll be doing the work ahead of time ...treat them like they're real people with real problems and recognize they're also doing a tough job. Often they leave the bay doors open this time of year, or you can call them over. Have a short chat. I've changed lots of tires over the yrs when I was younger...so I know it's tough work. I then go on to explain what I'm looking for. Usually after ya do that they're inclined to do good b/c you gave them some personal time. But I still watch out of the corner of my eye, but careful not to bear down on them, as you correctly pointed out. There's a certain tact ya have to apply.

At the GM dealer I know the guy there ..and since it's small and family run dealer, and he knows I'm a mechanic too of sorts (and I've listened to his stories several times in the pas), they're relaxed and I actually help him do the balance job ...while we talk about his kids and so on.

But at the bare minimum, places like Discount tires have at least a window customers can look through, so it's not too difficult to watch out of the corner of yer eye what's going on, w/o being a jerk about it.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Personally, i have a conversation with the guy at the computer, IF i have concerns.
Like when they do the Tire Rotation, I prefer the Modified X pattern. ( rearward cross )

I stand outside of the BAYS & watch for the tire switch over to the opposite side.
This time of the year, standing outside in Southern California, could be called crazy, it is a touch on the warm side.

Usually a Tire Shop is in a rush & they only do Rear Tire to Front & Front Tire to Rear. ( Straight Rotation )

Their short cut pattern, would always keep the Right Side Tires on the Right & the Left Side would always be on the Left.

That works well if the Tires have an Directional ARROW on the Sidewall of the tire & possibly back when the tires were still 'Bias Ply' tires, ( before Radials )

Straight rotation was developed in the early years of radial tires. This rotation method switches the tires front-to-rear but does not cross side to side. This rotation method is used for directional tread patterns.
===============================
What is the proper tire rotation pattern?

Bring the front tires to the rear and the rear to the front, switching sides of the front tires in the process. This means the front right tire now becomes the left rear tire, and the left front tire becomes the right rear tire. Rear tires that move forward do not switch sides.

That way, each tire is put in all 4 positions, after the 4th rotation

1720659699495.png

Last edited:

Olecarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 MDS Etorque
Can’t seem to find a tire shop that balances tires and uses strip weights, most use clamp on zinc coated and they’re only balancing the outside, i know that they’re not going to put a clamp on weight on the outside when you have 20” aluminum factory rims, I don’t want to end up at the dealership and take my wallet for a balance spin and empty my wallet, I thought I was getting it done by discount tire but they ended up with clamp weights when they said they have the strip weights, truck has a weird intermittent shimmy at 48-50 mph, took back to wally world where I bought the tires from they just rebalanced them send me on my way good for a bit and shimmy returns and again let them know and the same dancing song plays over and over I’m out $600 and 7 months owning these tires.I read here there and most say road force balance and both wally world and discount tire said they do with all their tires. And the kicker the old strip weights from when the truck was new still on there wt… they both don’t believe me. In anyone’s opinion think I’m right the tires need the proper strip weights used to get the correct balance of these tires and rims that are on my truck
Hello, I am a former Tire Industry Association Certified Instructor and owned small family, quality tire business. We didn't bang out jobs, quality was a focus, not quantity as with the chain businesses. When a customer would come in asking me to match Wally World or DT, Mavis, etc. I'd suggest they go to them, knowing that we could not offer quality tires and service for their price. That's not the customer segment in which we were successful

Based on reading through your comments and that of others.....here's my offering;

1)Road Force Balacing is an excellent tool when operated properly. Properly meaning, when forces are excessive for the particular size tire being balanced, tire and wheel matching is a MUST. In order to achieve a satisfactory balance your RFB should be 10-14 or below. 20 can be felt. I typically shot for 10 or less. To achieve this tire and wheel matching is a must as well as careful and meticulous weight placement and sizing (meaning weights may have to be cut vs using the 1/4 oz. increments to which they are manufactured). I've dynamically balanced tires on a simple slow speed split plane balancer, used its matching, then put them on an RFB and achieved single digit RFB numbers. The key is...attention to detail (matching, weight placement and sizing, removing old weights prior to balancing, cleaning stick on surfaces with acetone then IPA before placement of weights, which I first put on with masking tape so I can reposition as needed after test balancing, relocation a 1/8 or 1/16" inch can move the dial) and not trying to do a set in 20 minutes.

2) Another consideration is tires being "out of round". RFB compensates for this to some extent by applying pressure. However, when placed on the vehicle, the roller force applied can exceed the weight placed on the tire when installed on the vehicle. A simple test for roundness is to jack up your vehicle, slowly rotate the tire while placing a piece of chalk on the ground just touching the tire tread as it passes the high spot. The key is to hold the chalk perfectly still in all axis. I like using an upside down disposable cup with a hole punch in the bottom into which I inset the chalk then move it along the ground until it touches the tire. Ideally, you should have a complete chalk ring around the tire tread. If not, note the gapping between the chalk and tire tread. More than .050 inch indicates a concern. Tire/Wheel matching will like NOT likely addresss this, unless you have out of round wheels. Which I've only seen when someone bent them.

3) A 3rd consideration is tire ballooning. Balancers don't spin tires as fast as when we drive them. I've personally see where tires with weak side walls will enlarge in diameter when above 50mph. Since the diameter/circumference of the tire is changing, it throws the balance off as compared to the diameter/circumference when balanced. So, while balanced perfectly on the machine, when you drive it is not. I've placed vehicles on lifts, put them in drive, brought the speed up to 70mph and did the chalk touch test. Then brought it down to 45-50, the chalk no longer touches. I've had to reject entire lots due to ballooning. I dumped the brand.

4) A 4th consideration....bringing this up because at one point you said they balanced and then changed....is tire to wheel alignment change. Soap is used to install tires on wheels. It is possible for the tires to be spinning on the wheel. Ford had a major problem with this on new vehicles several years ago. The balance kept changing. Using a grease pencil, as soon as the rebalanced tire are installed on the vehicle, mark the tire and the wheel. Note if these marks ever misalign. If they do, then you have a slippage problem. Too much paste soap used during installation can cause this, mostly with aluminum wheels.

5) 45-50 is the resonant mechanical frequency of the front suspension due to its mass. The slightest imbalance will add enough energy to excite the suspension into movement. If there is a worn component the effects are amplified. Check to ensure ball joints, tie rods, rack and pinion, steering linkages are not even slightly worn.

6) Wheel and Vehicle Mounting surfaces. All too often people neglect that the surface of the wheel hub and wheel mounting face can build up with rust, corrosion, or debris. Once the wheel is removed and reinstalled, this debris can get trapped between the two mounting surfaces causing a wobble like condition. Sometimes, when a wheel is removed, the rotor will loosen, and debris gets between the rotor and the hun. Effectively causing a wheel wobble similar to that if debris was on the wheel/rotor mounting surface. Although only slight, it has a major impact when extended out 14" to the outside diameter of a wheel. A simple expertiment of putting a paper match stick between the balancer mounting flange and the wheel changes the balance by 2oz. 2oz is 8x greater than when trying to balance to within 1/8 oz to achieve the low RFB numbers I speak of. The same is true for the balancer mounting surface. If its not clean, then you are misbalancing due to the effective wobble. In our shop, we wire wheeled every possible rotating mounting surfaces before installing replacement tire/wheels. Volume oriented shops don't even know what this practice is.

IMO places like Walmart, DT, Mavis, or any large tire chain typically hire inexperienced folks, hand them off to someone who has been there a while but never had any formal training and a taught "this is how ya do it", not "this is the proper way." Also, tire manufactures grade their products, within the same tire brand and model. Lower grade = go to the lower paying retailers. On top of this, I've found that Coopers are problematic for the exact reason you are having, especially if you are a vibration sensitive driver. Furthermore, the Industry groups customers in to 3 types; Price point focused, Brand focused, and Quality focused (will pay extra for the time needed for the service). When there is a disconnect in the customer type and the customer outcome expectations, situations such as yours exists. Your tires and your service provided exist solely because of price point focused customers, but it sounds like you are looking at factory balance expectation of a quality focused customer.

Above I've offered some things you can check on your own. However, IMO, do yourself a favor and find a High End tire shop which deals in expensive cars and tires where the owners are willing to pay the buckaroos to have a job done right and leave with a smile. Take your vehicle there, explaining what you've been experiencing. Let them diagnose it for you. Be warned and be prepared to buy a new set of tires and pay for the right balancing and installation job.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clackd