Three Camshaft replacements within a year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DecoyChild

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 3.6L V6 with 57K miles. Since 52K I have had three new Camshafts installed by the dealer. Each without a resolve as to why from them. Just putting this out there to see if anyone else has seen / heard of this before.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 3.6L V6 with 57K miles. Since 52K I have had three new Camshafts installed by the dealer. Each without a resolve as to why from them. Just putting this out there to see if anyone else has seen / heard of this before.
By all accounts, this is not normal!

I would ensure you obtain the detailed report from the dealership for all the warranty work, and I would also reach out to @RamCares with this, too.

This is significant surgery on any engine, period! But to have it done three times with no reasoning from the dealership is quite suspect as far as I'm concerned, especially that it's three years old and has 57K miles on it.

I'd be all over this like a fat kid on a smartie!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are 4 cams on the 3.6, Intake, exhaust on each cylinder bank, they must have reused the damaged fowlers or tappets or not replace them to damage the cam shaft, I would be document what parts were replaced post it on here for us to look at.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are 4 cams on the 3.6, Intake, exhaust on each cylinder bank, they must have reused the damaged fowlers or tappets or not replace them to damage the cam shaft, I would be document what parts were replaced post it on here for us to look at.
There is a possibility that its an oil supply issue, and they replaced 3 out of the 4 stock cams

Seems more likely then burning up the same cam 3 times

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One and done? I hope not. Would like to hear more.

It sounds like the dealer is just changing cams without digging to find out why they are suddenly going out after 52k miles.

That research takes time you know. Can't let it dig into the overall pay. That is where flat rate hurts the consumer.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I wonder what kind of metal shavings and other crap is being pumped around in your engine from the first "repair" that the dealer mech's didn't flush out...?

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
most times when replacing these cams the mechanic will pull the bolts on the front of the heads that are considered the oil rail or supply port bolts. They do this to flush out any contaminants that may have gotten in the oil chambers of the heads. If they forget to put these bolts back in you have zero oil pressure in that head. result is damaged cams and rockers and lifters. Yet no oil light or low pressure warning on the dash because the sensor for oil pressure is not in the heads. It has happened to quite a few with this engine

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
So if the lobes are wearing out there is a problem with whatever part is contacting the lobes. I think if it was a lube problem the lobe contacting part would also show wear. When a bearing and race wear out you can't just replace the bearing, unless you want to just keep replacing it.