tire rotation question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
so I was about to rotate my tires today, (usually I take the front two tires, flip them and move them to the back, and just bring the back two tires forward) and I was told by a "mechanic" that when rotating tires, they should be rotated in a manner that they are always spinning in the same direction, otherwise they will wear way faster than they were mean't to, is there any truth in this? If this is the case then all you could do for a tire rotation is move the front tire back and the back tire forward, keeping them all on the same side. Didn't really seem like it made sense to me..but then again I'm no mechanic either, what do yall think?

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
I’ve always been told this is the correct pattern for RWD and 4x4's, which is actually the way you described to do them. He would be correct if the set of tires were in fact directional.

Attachments

• tire-rotation.jpg
    tire-rotation.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

avp12304

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2006
Engine
4.7, 5.9 Cummins
that's exactly how I was talking about yes! have you heard anything about them rotating in a different direction causing excessive wear? I kinda figured modern nondirectional tires were designed with this in mind.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
I had a set back in the 90's that were a rain tread, and if memory serves me correct they were directional. I remember some tire on some vehicle I owned having an arrow on them, lol

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not crossing radial tires is an old school rule from when radial tires weren't built that well and reversing their rotation would lead to belt separation. Crossing them has been acceptable, and even recommended, for years. How old is the mechanic? LOL Maybe he missed the memo.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ yep. Tires are made a little better than that now. If they aren't directional, you will be fine if you flip them around. If everything on the truck is in good shape, you will be fine if you just rotate them front to back. There are a lot of cars that have directional tires that can't be easily moved from side to side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sartoriusg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Strange. I was also taught to cross the tires, but I was recently told by the guys at two different tire dealers that they're back to not crossing them. They cited something about wear on the inner half of tread.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
wonder what nascar has to say about that? I bet they know the real answer lol

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have been doing mine that way nearly every time and I will likely take these tires off at about 70k on them. So not scientific but I would say he is living in the past as others have said.

Last edited:

weeseven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As egress diagram shows the correct way of rotation the garage was prolly talking about directional tires as they have arrows of direction/ rotation on the tire then and only then do the tires stay on the same side so what jwheeler said is true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk