Tire wear unbalanced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll chalk this up to "I should have rotated the tires more", but I noticed for the first time that the rears have noticeably less rubber than the fronts. Bought it used at 22,000 miles, now has 42,000 miles, and (blush) I hadn't rotated the tires yet :eek:. Having had SUVs and sedans, usually they wear more evenly, but this is somewhat obvious. I would have guessed the fronts would wear more having the weight of the engine and doing the steering, but do the rears usually wear more? And yes, I plan on rotating ASAP!

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
The usual standard practice for tire rotation on a 4wd is every 5 to 8K, 10K tops.

Also, might these be the originally supplied OEM tires?

Most often, the OEM tires only last 30-40K before they're junk. Even if they're a recognized name-brand.

^^^ AGREED!!!
Rotation is key, especially on 4X4's.

The Good-For-A-Year brand tires are junk ;)

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wear (under normal conditions) is always on the the drive wheels, our trucks, obviously the rear wheels. Most SUV's are AWD so they wear more evenly.

That said, on tires unevenly worn such as yours the better tread should be on the front tires as those are your steer tires. Too late to rotate now. Consider it a lesson learned.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
^^^ AGREED!!!
Rotation is key, especially on 4X4's.

The Good-For-A-Year brand tires are junk ;)

I've had very good results with "Good-For-A-Year" tires, however probably because I've rotated them myself every other oil change and oci's being 3000 mile intervals.

js'n

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wear (under normal conditions) is always on the the drive wheels, our trucks, obviously the rear wheels. Most SUV's are AWD so they wear more evenly.

That said, on tires unevenly worn such as yours the better tread should be on the front tires as those are your steer tires. Too late to rotate now. Consider it a lesson learned.
Thanks, you've answered my question on which ones normally wear faster. There's a good reason tire shops recommend putting the better tires on the rear, so that's what I'm going with. Yes, it still has the OEM tires as far as I know.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 4th gen I rotated the tires at every oil change which averaged about every 6k miles and I'd get about 40k miles out of the tires. My 5th gen I have winter wheels and tires so now I rotate every spring when I put the stock tires and wheels back on which is about 4k mile .

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
Mine was way out of alignment . Had my originals replaced at 25.8k because of excessive wear on the outside edge as many others reported on a previous post.

Also did not go with Bridgestone's because I was told they had that problem for years. Went with Michelins...

And that the OEM tires do not last

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah cmon..you can tell us...that heavy right foot on take offs is the culprit..lol

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My factory 275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HTs went 56K. The second set went the same and still were legal. I don't think that' bad.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 115871 miles.