Tonneau covers and sealing around tailgate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etennram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi
Just bought a brand new Ram 1500 Laramie yesterday. So have 2 questions
1. Now looking for a tri- fold hard tonneau cover. Some sites, including Reat truck say they don't have ones for a 2025 but according to dealer bed is same as 2024. Anybody disagree?
2. Any suggestions on brands. My previous 2014 1500 I had the Rugged trifold. It was not low profile as set on top of bed and was about 1 inch high bit it NEVER leaked. Any preferences for low profile vs ones that just sit on top.
3. Ram tailgates are terrible about all the room around the tailgates where water, and dirt can get into the bed. This 2025 is worse than my 2014. Anybody found someone that sells foam straps specifically for Ram tailgates or came up with their own solution?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a brand new Ram 1500 Laramie yesterday. So have 2 questions
1. Now looking for a tri- fold hard tonneau cover. Some sites, including Reat truck say they don't have ones for a 2025 but according to dealer bed is same as 2024. Anybody disagree?
2. Any suggestions on brands. My previous 2014 1500 I had the Rugged trifold. It was not low profile as set on top of bed and was about 1 inch high bit it NEVER leaked. Any preferences for low profile vs ones that just sit on top.
3. Ram tailgates are terrible about all the room around the tailgates where water, and dirt can get into the bed. This 2025 is worse than my 2014. Anybody found someone that sells foam straps specifically for Ram tailgates or came up with their own solution?
Message Nick@gotexhaust on here. He is a forum sponsor and a great guy. I purchased my wife's cover from him earlier in the year, and just messaged him tonight about getting one for my son's new/used truck we are getting him this weekend. My son's truck has the multifunction tailgate, and there aren't a lot of options for it. He sent me some options, and he has the best pricing I have seen!! Definitely a win/win!! Hit him up and he will find something you will enjoy!!

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used a seal kit from someplace like Real Truck. I still get a bit of water in the corners when washing it but it’s pretty minimal.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I've used RealTruck Extang Maxseal Truck Bed Tailgate Seal on at least 3 trucks, it works great. And, everyone I've recommended it to has also reported it worked great.

For the gap between the tailgate and the bed floor, I used a Tailgate Gap Tape. Don't remember what brand, there are several on Amazon.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've used TonnoPro on my last 3 trucks. They sit up a bit and are soft folds, but the only time I had one leak was when I'd not properly tightened a rear clamp after folding it up and down. I use my bed to much for the little tubes to drain the rails on a lot of the covers that sit flush, I'd end up destroying them.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
My dad has the BAKFlip MX4 and loves it.

He has the RAM boxes and got a tailgate seal kit from Amazon. I had the regular bed so cut up a generic tailgate seal which worked really well for me (post #6):

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The BakFlip G2 on my 2016 Ram is now 8 years old.
It has been sitting out in the San Diego California sun

Only the rubber strip that they put down on top of the front bed panel, the piece that they put down before they lay the Tonneau Cover down on top of it has loosened up.

1720836023233.png

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Lomax tri-fold has been rock solid for years. Got it from Nick@gotexhaust too for a heck of a deal.

I wouldn't say it's perfectly water proof near the tailgate but it is really good. I wouldn't hesitate throwing the camping gear in the bed and diving through a rain storm to my camping spot. Even when using a touchless carwash or handwashing my truck at home I only get a little bit of water into the bed. And I think most of that comes through the tailgate edges and not the top.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ordered the MX4 from Nick for my son's truck that we just bought him. We have a retractable on my wife's vehicle. We went this route to have more room in the bed of the truck for the few times my son wants to haul his dirtbike around. Can't wait to get it and see how it is, but I know it will be good because I trust what Nick says, and that is one he suggested for our needs.

Mwyz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an extang Solid Fold 2.0 on my 2022. I also added a bed mat which raises objects above the floor slightly. I do get some dust through the tailgate but not much.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have seals on the side and bottom of the end gate, I would say it stops 90% of the water and dust, I have a soft roll top.
I bought the kit at a distributor, in Saskatoon, Canada, but don't remember the brand, it is the same type of foam that is used on the doors.

I will add, the water I get is with hi pressure car wash, I thing at the top rear as that rubber strip is not real thick where it meets the top of the tail gate. this roll top sits between the rails, so depends how high or low you install the side rails.

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Deleted Wrong thread :O

Last edited:

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have the Retrax Tonneau Retractable Bed Cover and knock on wood, have not seen any water in the bed as of yet except when I was washing it and stepped up into it with wet feet!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I installed the Truxedo kit in 2021 to seal the tailgate opening. Still on there and working good. Doesn't give a perfect seal but it is a lot better than it was without it. The ESI Ultimate kit is still in the package, and sitting on a shelf in the Garage.

I was going to put the large seal that covers the opening between the actual bed and the tailgate but left it off as I wash out the bed fairly often and that would make draining the water harder.

Screenshot_20240715_154323_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240715_154316_Firefox.jpg

Last edited: