Trany & transfer case issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulmatthees

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, this last weekend me & the wife were at our family property pulling a little utility trailer full of topsoil filling in holes from pulling stumps & other holes on the property. When we to the area I decided to put the truck in 4 low to better move the trailer around where we needed it & not spin my tires making more holes to fill. We got done doing our work & when I got back onto a flat gravel area to leave I put the truck back into 2wd and turned the truck off. We closed up some sheds & secured the property then hoped in the truck to leave, after I started the truck I tried to put in drive & nothing, the dash was saying truck speed to fast to go into drive, then I tried to put it into park, same thing except I could hear like the parking pin clicking in the transmission, then I tried reverse & it worked fine. I tried a few more times & same thing. I finally put it back into 4low & drove around the property a little bit & then put it into 2wd. After waiting & checking everything I could I started the truck & put it in drive, luckily it worked, we left the property & got about 2 miles down the road & heard a whinging noise. I pulled over to see if anything happened, no oil leaks, no broken parts, nothing. By this time its getting late & decided to drive home. Everything worked perfectly on the 55 mile drive home & checked the truck this morning, no leaks or anything. This worries me because I don't want my family stranded anywhere & I have no clue of what it might be. Any help with the potential problem would be greatly appreciated so I can get it fix. Thank you

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The couple times I needed 4LO I stopped the truck, put the trans in neutral then put it in 4LO. It takes a few seconds but goes in no problem. I do the same thing when putting it back into 2HI. I'd suggest reading the owners manual for you particular truck because it can be difficult to get it into and out of 4LO if certain criteria isn't met

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This thread may be useful:

Best,
RI