undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you stance on undercoating? (Dipless oil type) i did have the dealer applied "lifetime" rust protection when new, just not sure if i trust it to ward off all the salt through the winter months. For a $100 it seem like added protction to me.

I had my 08 done every year and had 0 rust when i sold

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anything applied by the dealer is usually a ripoff or way overpriced.

Go aftermarket & you'll keep a lot of money in your pocket.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would find a shop that will coat the undercarriage with Fluid Film or an equivalent product. Much cheaper than a dealer applied "good for life" undercoating and much more effective.

tojo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Friend of mine does WD-40 on his underwater every fall and swears by it

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my old Ford, I had the dealer do the "lifetime" waxy undercoating. It was crap.

It literally is a wax, that they spray on and sport reapply yearly. It only protects from one side, the outside, so if water or moisture gets in from the inside (ie rocker panels or inside doors, it won't do you any good). I started getting rust on the bottom seam of my doors and the reply from the company was that it wasn't covered, since it was my duty to inform them if any of the undercoating was damaged... Yeah, ok, you can still see the fresh scrape marks from, where your tech scraped it off.

Another thing, I've heard is that, if water/moisture is trapped between the coating and the part, it holds it in and won't allow it to evaporate, thus causing more rust.

The DND did a study way back when. Corrosion Free came out on top, but most Corrosion Free dealers are tied with Canadian Tire. There is no way, I'm letting anyone at CanTire touch my vehicle.

Krown came in second. Most are owner/franchisees and only do rust proofing. So that's their specialty, especially if they have been established for long periods of time.

I've tried the waxy one and the Ford started rusting at the rocker panels and door bottoms after 8 years. The under vehicle stuff started getting real bad after 13. But I stopped getting "inspected" after the 8 year fiasco.

I've got 2 sprays down with Krown on the Ram. I can't say if it working or not it's going to have to be a wait and see thing.

Here is the DND study.
http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
It has the potential to actually **** up your corrosion inhibition. If you live someplace that has a lot of salt (I don't) then I'd go with the Fluid Film and repeat it every year.

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Having my '14 done before its first winter in the rust belt. Going with Fluid Film.