Voltage drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ut4552a

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

2016 Ram Big Horn 5.7 Voltage Drop​

I have a drain on the Battery since I've owned it but don't run the vehicle often so I keep a trickle charge on it. Any ideas what might be causing the drain? Any recommendations on tests would be appreciated.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have a drain on the Battery since I've owned it but don't run the vehicle often so I keep a trickle charge on it. Any ideas what might be causing the drain? Any recommendations on tests would be appreciated.

Parasitic drain test. I’ve never had the pleasure of doing one but there are YouTube videos on the procedure. Involves placing a multimeter on the battery terminals and removing fuses to determine the component with the parasitic draw.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Any idea of the drain in amps? It is normal to have a small drain on the battery but that number is typically small, less than 250 milliamps at times.

You can take a volt meter and probe each side of each fuse, using a table like this one, you can convert the voltage drop across the fuse to the amount of current flowing in the circuit.