Well this is one of the lower milege cam failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

5th Gen Rams

Devan Carlson · 9h ·

https://www.facebook.com/#
2024 Ram 1500 5.7 E-Torque. 5800 miles. Cam and lifter failure. Bought it new end of February. Started it up last night after work and it was knocking terribly and the whole truck was shaking it was misfiring so bad. No CEL. I am a tech and I have an auto integrate account for the secure gateway so I plugged into it and the only code was a cylinder 8 misfire but still no CEL. Dealer then tells me they are seeing this all the time and that they have another new 5.7 on the lot with 12 miles that needs a motor for the same thing. You’d think the last generation motor would be rid of these gremlins..
Edit** my first oil change was scheduled for today at 9am.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My current RAM will be my last. I won't buy another RAM product. SOOOO many failures. Cams, lifters, engine oil cooler/adapters, UConnect, CV's, water pumps, the list goes on and on. I'm floored by how ****-poorly they engineer things. I know some people have had great luck and 100's of thousands of miles trouble-free, but it's not the norm.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My current RAM will be my last. I won't buy another RAM product. SOOOO many failures. Cams, lifters, engine oil cooler/adapters, UConnect, CV's, water pumps, the list goes on and on. I'm floored by how ****-poorly they engineer things. I know some people have had great luck and 100's of thousands of miles trouble-free, but it's not the norm.
Yea i think you're a bit out in left field,you might have had issues,but there's millions of owners that haven't had any issues.There's 6 1500's and 2 2500's on my cresent,and i know the owners,and not one of the trucks has had any issues,including my neighbour across the street who fires his up,and it's floored about 10 seconds after he starts it,including at -30,and i've only ever seen him drag a cord out to plug it in once when it was -45,the rest of the time he starts it cold,and drives it like he stole it,lol.
Unhappy owners are like rabbits,they make alot of tracks and noise,while happy owners never say a word :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea i think you're a bit out in left field,you might have had issues,but there's millions of owners that haven't had any issues.There's 6 1500's and 2 2500's on my cresent,and i know the owners,and not one of the trucks has had any issues,including my neighbour across the street who fires his up,and it's floored about 10 seconds after he starts it,including at -30,and i've only ever seen him drag a cord out to plug it in once when it was -45,the rest of the time he starts it cold,and drives it like he stole it,lol.
Unhappy owners are like rabbits,they make alot of tracks and noise,while happy owners never say a word :waytogo: :Big Laugh:
You're a funny guy Wild One.... There are plenty, PLENTY of people that have been burned by RAM/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat. Cam failures alone could fill a warehouse. The next warehouse over, you could stack UConnects to the ceiling and run out of room pretty quickly. Next warehouse over, well, you'd need about 10 next warehouses to stack all the Pentastar 3.6L issues. Cams/lifters/oil filter/cooler adapters by the train load. These forums don't exist for people to come sing praises (although it's nice to see once in a while).

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You're a funny guy Wild One.... There are plenty, PLENTY of people that have been burned by RAM/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat. Cam failures alone could fill a warehouse. The next warehouse over, you could stack UConnects to the ceiling and run out of room pretty quickly. Next warehouse over, well, you'd need about 10 next warehouses to stack all the Pentastar 3.6L issues. Cams/lifters/oil filter/cooler adapters by the train load. These forums don't exist for people to come sing praises (although it's nice to see once in a while).
You're blowing things way out of proportion :rolleyes: There's millions of trucks and cars on the road that haven't had any issues,and alot of the ones that do have issues can be traced back to poor maintence by the owners.Just cause you're not a happy owner,doesn't mean there isn't millions of happy owners;)

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're blowing things way out of proportion :rolleyes: There's millions of trucks and cars on the road that haven't had any issues,and alot of the ones that do have issues can be traced back to poor maintence by the owners.Just cause you're not a happy owner,doesn't mean there isn't millions of happy owners;)
Never said there weren't many happy owners. I said that these forums don't exist for people to sing praises. People seek out support due to a failed product. That's why the forums are here. People supporting people with vehicle issues. I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. My original comment still stands, and that is, I won't buy another RAM. I've turned enough wrenches on this truck (prematurely based on miles, but out of necessity) to know that the quality isn't there. I have friends with similar vehicles that have similar problems. And it's not from "poor maintenance" like you suggest. Proportions can be gauged by doing a quick internet search of these failures and seeing how many hits you get back. Every Charger, Challenger, RAM, Chrysler product forum is FULL of failed Pentastars (I believe that VW has this offering in some of their vehicles too, but never looked into it). It's why every parts house in North America has Pentastar parts and 10,000 internet sites have parts for it. It's a hugely widespread, in use engine with just as many failures. I don't own a hemi, so I can't speak directly of their failures, but it's obvious that the 5.7 has had it's share of shortcomings. BTW, why did you decide to regurge this story for your original post?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Never said there weren't many happy owners. I said that these forums don't exist for people to sing praises. People seek out support due to a failed product. That's why the forums are here. People supporting people with vehicle issues. I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. My original comment still stands, and that is, I won't buy another RAM. I've turned enough wrenches on this truck (prematurely based on miles, but out of necessity) to know that the quality isn't there. I have friends with similar vehicles that have similar problems. And it's not from "poor maintenance" like you suggest. Proportions can be gauged by doing a quick internet search of these failures and seeing how many hits you get back. Every Charger, Challenger, RAM, Chrysler product forum is FULL of failed Pentastars (I believe that VW has this offering in some of their vehicles too, but never looked into it). It's why every parts house in North America has Pentastar parts and 10,000 internet sites have parts for it. It's a hugely widespread, in use engine with just as many failures. I don't own a hemi, so I can't speak directly of their failures, but it's obvious that the 5.7 has had it's share of shortcomings. BTW, why did you decide to regurge this story for your original post?
Yes you've made several posts about how unhappy you are with your truck,which leads right back to me saying an unhappy owner is like a rabbit,they leave alot of tracks and make alot of noise :Big Laugh: :cheers:Have a good evening as i'm not gonna argue about your issues :Big Laugh:

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you've made several posts about how unhappy you are with your truck,which leads right back to me saying an unhappy owner is like a rabbit,they leave alot of tracks and make alot of noise :Big Laugh: :cheers:Have a good evening as i'm not gonna argue about your issues :Big Laugh:
Ok. I was having a discussion, not arguing, but I'm good leaving it here. Still curious why you reposted the FB item originally, however....

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I agree with @Wild one I've got 3 1500s, and a durango. All 5.7s. 1 supercharged and minimal issues. I drive them hard, I tow, I start them in sub zero weather and I never back off. I also do a ton of maintenance, they are usually parked inside a garage and I don't let anything go, that could go wrong. Check engine light, it gets fixed whatever it takes, spark plugs, they get them, premium fuel, it gets it.

I just got in yesterday from pulling a 7x14 tandem trailer with 2 harley road glides from Virginia to Montana via Minnesota with a side trip to Nashville and Iowa. 3400 miles. Avg speed 56 miles per hour. Which means more than 56 in a lot of places and several hours of stop and go through St Louis, Nashville and Minneapolis.

The ram pulled the weigh, used no oil, avg 12.5 miles per gallon in tow haul mode and ran like a scaled ape.

It may break tomorrow, but I doubt it

PS over 85k on the clock for mileage, 2016, unlocked PCM, tuned, MDS turned off, 4x4 with 3.21 gears

Attachments

• 20240830_094145.jpg
    20240830_094145.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok. I was having a discussion, not arguing, but I'm good leaving it here. Still curious why you reposted the FB item originally, however....
Anybody who comes into a post,and blows things way out of proportion,then wants to argue about it,is not having a discussion,no matter how many ways you want to spin it.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with @Wild one I've got 3 1500s, and a durango. All 5.7s. 1 supercharged and minimal issues. I drive them hard, I tow, I start them in sub zero weather and I never back off. I also do a ton of maintenance, they are usually parked inside a garage and I don't let anything go, that could go wrong. Check engine light, it gets fixed whatever it takes, spark plugs, they get them, premium fuel, it gets it.

I just got in yesterday from pulling a 7x14 tandem trailer with 2 harley road glides from Virginia to Montana via Minnesota with a side trip to Nashville and Iowa. 3400 miles. Avg speed 56 miles per hour. Which means more than 56 in a lot of places and several hours of stop and go through St Louis, Nashville and Minneapolis.

The ram pulled the weigh, used no oil, avg 12.5 miles per gallon in tow haul mode and ran like a scaled ape.

It may break tomorrow, but I doubt it
Glad yours are treating you well. I've not had the same experience. My prior employer had a fleet of 3.6 Pentastars and the list of failures were LONG. Most of them were the same type of failures, so it presented a pattern. I have good friend that has had similar experiences within his fleet of service vehicles. They don't get pampered, but they aren't abused. Oil changes on the 5's and 10's, national brand oil (obviously they aren't putting high end oils in fleet vehicles) and cam/lifter failures pre-100K (usually around the 75-85k mile mark). I've studied quite a bit of info on them and it just seems to be a design flaw in the lubrication distribution in combination with poor metallurgy in the moving parts. MOPAR redesigned them and they continued to fail, just at a slower rate. Seems we have a vehicle down every week with cam/lifter replacements. Enough so that we had a couple of spare vehicles on standby to rotate into play when one was down. Again, I don't have personal knowledge of the Hemi issues, but it seems they are plenty. Again, glad yours are doing well.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody who comes into a post,and blows things way out of proportion,then wants to argue about it,is not having a discussion,no matter how many ways you want to spin it.
Ok. Whatever you say. Based on all of your posts that I've read, you clearly know everything about everything and lose your composure when somebody doesn't share your opinion, asks questions, or has an idea you don't like. I've seen you get sideways with quite a few folks. I had/have an opinion. I made statements about my vehicle experience that you didn't like, so now you're hurt/upset by it. It's ok guy, people can have differing opinions on things and have grown up discussions about them, and still remain civil. If you think I'm arguing, we'll close it out. BTW, you still haven't said what your purpose was in bringing up a failed '24 Hemi (from another site). Must just be one of those rare, in proportion failures that you don't want to discuss. Cheers.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok. Whatever you say. Based on all of your posts that I've read, you clearly know everything about everything and lose your composure when somebody doesn't share your opinion, asks questions, or has an idea you don't like. I've seen you get sideways with quite a few folks. I had/have an opinion. I made statements about my vehicle experience that you didn't like, so now you're hurt/upset by it. It's ok guy, people can have differing opinions on things and have grown up discussions about them, and still remain civil. If you think I'm arguing, we'll close it out. BTW, you still haven't said what your purpose was in bringing up a failed '24 Hemi (from another site). Must just be one of those rare, in proportion failures that you don't want to discuss. Cheers.
1725765998209.png

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
The key to hemi longevity is treating them like a sports car, IMHO. High RPMs, sustained lengthy drives and the best oil you can afford. My 11 before it was sold at 150k got semi synthetic, up to about 80k, then RP then finally redline. At 150k, no engine problems, guy who purchased still drives daily no engine problems. My supercharged truck, redline, my 2016, redline, my new 2024, redline.

As the old fram commercial use to say, pay now or pay later.

Most don't keep a vehicle long enough to worry about issues, they drive and trade about warranty time.

I avg 10 years or more, so you have to invest in maintenance.

I've got 1 penstar in my 22 jeep. Doubtful it will cause problems but it might.

My experience

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The key to hemi longevity is treating them like a sports car, IMHO. High RPMs, sustained lengthy drives and the best oil you can afford. My 11 before it was sold at 150k got semi synthetic, up to about 80k, then RP then finally redline. At 150k, no engine problems, guy who purchased still drives daily no engine problems. My supercharged truck, redline, my 2016, redline, my new 2024, redline.

As the old fram commercial use to say, pay now or pay later.

Most don't keep a vehicle long enough to worry about issues, they drive and trade about warranty time.

I avg 10 years or more, so you have to invest in maintenance.

I've got 1 penstar in my 22 jeep. Doubtful it will cause problems but it might.

My experience
So the thought process being, don't let the rotating masses move slow and have time to accumulate buildup? LOL

I agree, a lot of people are in and out of vehicles right about warranty or just shy of it, so they never have to deal with long term issues or failures.

Hopefully your Pentastar treats you better. I've experienced enough oil filter/adapter issues to never want another. Supposedly Mopar has them figured out in recent years, although I've heard stores to the contrary. I believe the plastics have gotten better/reinforced, but the sealing is still an issue. I've swapped OEM for OEM and had leaks recur, and I've swapped OEM for Aluminum units and had leaks recur. I'm seeing less physical breaking of the plastic housings and more failed seals. The most reliable fix I've seen is Dorman or similar all metal unit with OEM or Felpro seals. The seals supplied with the aftermarket units are hot garbage and WILL leak. I learned that the hard way. That's a story for another time, however.

Thanks for the share, happy motoring.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So the thought process being, don't let the rotating masses move slow and have time to accumulate buildup? LOL

I agree, a lot of people are in and out of vehicles right about warranty or just shy of it, so they never have to deal with long term issues or failures.

Hopefully your Pentastar treats you better. I've experienced enough oil filter/adapter issues to never want another. Supposedly Mopar has them figured out in recent years, although I've heard stores to the contrary. I believe the plastics have gotten better/reinforced, but the sealing is still an issue. I've swapped OEM for OEM and had leaks recur, and I've swapped OEM for Aluminum units and had leaks recur. I'm seeing less physical breaking of the plastic housings and more failed seals. The most reliable fix I've seen is Dorman or similar all metal unit with OEM or Felpro seals. The seals supplied with the aftermarket units are hot garbage and WILL leak. I learned that the hard way. That's a story for another time, however.

Thanks for the share, happy motoring.
The original post is about a 5.7,but you've managed to take the thread over with your 3.6 issues. We've all heard lots about your issues with your 3.6,but enlighten us even more :signs1:

PowersOf12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, my friend bought a Rebel 5.7 ETORQUE and he had hoped all this cam/lifter stuff was behind us. Having said that, I told him the Dodge tech told me it is an easy job when he did mine. Even though the lifter/cam upset me, this is still the best vehicle I have owned. I plan on keeping this RAM until I start seeing Hurricane engines with over 200K miles without a bunch of problems.