What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So there is a noise coming from the driver side that sounds like something rattling. I don't have heat shields on my BD diesel manifolds, so not them vibrating. But that's kinda what it sounds like. Don't really hear anything at idle, but can hear it accelerating at low speed with window down. Any thoughts? Driving me bat **** crazy.
Guess I'll pull the wheel off again and fender liner and look for anything that could be causing it. I was hoping someone had something similar to narrow my search. The noise now is worse than the tick I had before I "fixed it". Doesn't really sound like an exhaust tick though.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took it apart again and checked bolts, fixed a clamp under the truck further back and checked intake bolts. I'm out of ideas. Gonna drop it off tomorrow night for an oil change and have them check it out. So many possible things can be causing the sound I hear on acceleration. Could have been like that a while and I didn't notice because windows were up, AC on and music playing. The exhaust leak is gone after replacing the manifolds. There were 2 broken bolts at the rear of the block. It's pretty quiet at idle and even when revving, apart from the exhaust and cold air intake noise. Guess I'll leave her sit till she gets dropped off tomorrow night.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took it apart again and checked bolts, fixed a clamp under the truck further back and checked intake bolts. I'm out of ideas. Gonna drop it off tomorrow night for an oil change and have them check it out. So many possible things can be causing the sound I hear on acceleration. Could have been like that a while and I didn't notice because windows were up, AC on and music playing. The exhaust leak is gone after replacing the manifolds. There were 2 broken bolts at the rear of the block. It's pretty quiet at idle and even when revving, apart from the exhaust and cold air intake noise. Guess I'll leave her sit till she gets dropped off tomorrow night.
Fingers crossed its a normal noise, missed because windows closed as you said. I recently drove with rear slider open for the first time in awhile, and pulled over after hearing a gawdawful noise from the rear. Turns out it was just my tonneau making the sound of it's people.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fingers crossed its a normal noise, missed because windows closed as you said. I recently drove with rear slider open for the first time in awhile, and pulled over after hearing a gawdawful noise from the rear. Turns out it was just my tonneau singing the song of it's people

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fingers crossed its a normal noise, missed because windows closed as you said. I recently drove with rear slider open for the first time in awhile, and pulled over after hearing a gawdawful noise from the rear. Turns out it was just my tonneau singing the song of it's people
Definitely not normal, because I crack my windows at work and it's noticeable even with windows cracked. I did just change the driver side manifold,but all bolts are tight including collector bolts. If it was exhaust I should hear it at idle and during rev. Only happens under load in gear. I'm fresh out of ideas. I had lifters go on my old 2005 Dodge Ram 1500,but that was evident immediately after starting. Also familiar with exhaust ticks on both trucks as well. Fingers crossed that it isn't anything expensive. Trying to get a new lab pup to keep my 7 year old lab company. We just lost our Shepherd at 15.5 years old.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So she's going in tonight to get checked out tomorrow and get the oil changed. I'm thinking it's leaking from the collector connections and blowing on the heat shield on the frame next to it under load. Does feel like exhaust may be escaping on both collectors,but passenger side isn't as bad and there's not a shield to blow on. If that's all it is I'll be happy as hell! Definitely sounds like a heat shield flapping under load. Doesn't do it under light acceleration or idle.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We just lost our Shepherd at 15.5 years old.
I felt that statement. Sorry man. That's ALWAYS a hard pill to swallow. I'll be broken when mine goes. She's truly my best friend. Getting choked up thinking about it and she's only 4.5

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2nd pan/filter and fluid swap on ZF 8-speed. Nothing exciting here. Trying out the ZF branded pan/filter this go around. A few discernable differences in the construct of the ZF vs. Mopar unit. We shall see.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I felt that statement. Sorry man. That's ALWAYS a hard pill to swallow. I'll be broken when mine goes. She's truly my best friend. Getting choked up thinking about it and she's only 4.5
Thanks, our lab was a baby when we took in our Shepherd. She's now 7, where does the time go. Dogs should have lifetimes as long as ours. We got our Shepherd when we lost my boy Zeus (chocolate lab), he died at 14 from cancer complications or he'd have lived longer.

Last edited:

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So shop just messaged me and said oil is changed,but I have a broken manifold bolt at the back of the driver side manifold and they didn't feel comfortable doing the work. Probably because I put them on and the bolts are proprietary maybe? Anyways, I have only driven the truck for test drives since install due to the noise I heard. I am beyond comprehension how I snapped a new bolt on short test drives. No issues with passenger side which I also did in April. FML! I think I do have extra bolts, but can't for the life of me understand how this even happened. Their system has spacers to allow expansion to keep this from happening. Maybe just a bad bolt?

Edit
So after reading the invoice it said bolt missing. The driver side manifold is made for 2 different bolt configurations and the hole near the rear he's referring to does not get a bolt. So itlf that's the case it's the collector leaking like I told them. Wtf?!?!

Last edited:

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed my dash cam. I went with the FitCamX Universal Model B. Installation was pretty straight forward. Only hard part was getting the power cables thru the firewall.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after picking up my truck and getting it home I checked with my phone and sure enough the mystery bolt missing is a blank hole not used. Going to fix the collector leak after work. 1000002127.jpg