What is the best DEF/EGR delete kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am appalled at how rude some “senior member” have been on this thread. I thought there were rules about such thing on this forum. You people should be ashamed of yourselves for you poor behavior toward other members.
Rude ? It’s a discussion with differing opinions. Big difference between differing opinions and being rude.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 6.7 and I am considering doing a complete delete. Any advice on the best kit? I'm looking for a selectable tune: Low speed in town, Highway, towing. I'm not looking to severely boost HP. It seems there are a lot of choices and I know nothing of the companies, e.g. Explosive Diesel, Unlimited Diesels, Tuner Depot, Elite Diesels + the different types: Race-me, EFILive, GDP MM3, EZLink, etc. Any ideas?
Can't help ya, officer. Try the Federal Marshals...They get theirs deleted strait from the factory.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I once considered deleting my 2016 when the DEF pump went out and I was going on 30 days without my truck. DEF pumps were on indefinite nationwide back order and two “refurbished” pumps were actually pulls from wrecked trucks that were full of dried out DEF and did not function. I had the delete kit and was ready to install when a new DEF pump came up on EBay.

When the unavailability of a non-critical part causes your truck to become inoperable and worthless one does have to do what one has to do. That said, the various State and Federal environmental agencies are cracking down hard on tuning companies. When you delete, you are wed to the tuning company for support if something goes wrong related to the ECM / engine. They may not be in business when you need them so you will have to find another that supports your chosen tuner. Or buy and install a new tuner from that is supported by the new company.
I was completely blown away with an article I read last week. The military (Federal Government) delete all of their new pickups for the same reason most people do it. They needed a little more power but mostly to make them more reliable & DEF is not available in some countries that we have bases in!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
If only the rest of us were entitled to not having the reliability of our vehicles compromised by faulty emissions equipment.

I guess the AF has to destroy those vehicles versus selling them when they are determined to be surplus wasting more of our taxpayer dollars.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Here's a very recent article about some military owned F-350's without emissions standards LINK

Any engine you put additional back pressure on while running is going to have issues over the long haul. I was trained and worked on diesels in the Navy of many types/sizes, and imho adding all this extra to a platform that wasn't originally designed for it is asking for nothing but trouble over the long haul.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Not only for those reasons but plus they need to be able to run on fuels that are available at the time in other countries, including high percentage bio-fuels, high sulfur fuels, & Jet A fuel to name a few. Plus DEF is another fluid not always available in other regions. Military forces cannot have those restrictions. I can understand that.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was completely blown away with an article I read last week. The military (Federal Government) delete all of their new pickups for the same reason most people do it. They needed a little more power but mostly to make them more reliable & DEF is not available in some countries that we have bases in!

Told you. :)

It's not just for trucks going overseas. The USAF has F250s right now that are on the U.S. highways all the time and are emissions exempt. I could get behind the ones going OCONUS since they can't afford to go down, but what about the ones here? There's no reason not to follow the same laws they hold us to.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Told you. :)

It's not just for trucks going overseas. The USAF has F250s right now that are on the U.S. highways all the time and are emissions exempt. I could get behind the ones going OCONUS since they can't afford to go down, but what about the ones here? There's no reason not to follow the same laws they hold us to.

Any vehicle operated here in the US has/had the potential to be in a foreign land at anytime, and is contract built in the matter for function.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any vehicle operated here in the US has/had the potential to be in a foreign land at anytime, and is contract built in the matter for function.
Not true. Without going into too many details, 24 of these were purpose built to live here in the states. They will never, under any circumstance, go overseas. They could serve no purpose there. There are others built that perform similar functions for other branches which too, will always live right here for similar reasons.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Not true. Without going into too many details, 24 of these were purpose built to live here in the states. They will never, under any circumstance, go overseas. They could serve no purpose there. There are others built that perform similar functions for other branches which too, will always live right here for similar reasons.

It was a general statement for most of the support fleet. There always was and will be very specific specialty vehicles that will never leave a specific base and in 10 yrs will show less than 500 miles. I guess my statement should of read "the majority" for the sticklers out there.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This is pretty much it. Sure there's a couple that will never leave for whatever reason, but the VAST majority need to be able to be put on a plane and sent anywhere in the world on the drop of a hat.

bigblock_doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Temporarily. Then the gremlins start popping up, the tuner who did it is out of business, and the owner is stuck with a busted truck. Or, you decide to sell it and the EPA says not so fast my friend.

You're replacing software that has literally billions of miles of testing and validation with software that some guy wrote up in his basement that bypasses fault codes. Legalities aside, it's not a smart thing to do. If you're worried about it, get a gasser.
When the prices of replacing the hard parts, and the wait for back orders, seems like a good decision to drop weight.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
My friend picked up a 2018 Chevy 3500 from government auction. Zero emissions equipment on it. No EGR, no DEF, no DPF. Has 390k on it, still running strong.

Thankfully there are no emissions testing on diesels in NC.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
seems like a good decision to drop weight.

It's tempting no doubt. I interact with a lot of hotshot drivers who swear by the 2016-2018 ram diesels. They run them bone stock over 500,000 miles of pulling with little to no engine or aftertreatment issues. Used the way they are designed to be used, they are as close to trouble free as can be expected of any light duty machine. If you aren't using it the way it's designed to be used, you'd likely be better served with a gas burner.

Deleting just isn't nearly worth the BS involved. I dont know of anyone who's hung a half million miles on a deleted truck. Plenty people have on stock diesels. You can't achieve the same level of reliability from a haphazardly programmed engine as you can from a factory programmed one.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's tempting no doubt. I interact with a lot of hotshot drivers who swear by the 2016-2018 ram diesels. They run them bone stock over 500,000 miles of pulling with little to no engine or aftertreatment issues. Used the way they are designed to be used, they are as close to trouble free as can be expected of any light duty machine. If you aren't using it the way it's designed to be used, you'd likely be better served with a gas burner.

Deleting just isn't nearly worth the BS involved. I dont know of anyone who's hung a half million miles on a deleted truck. Plenty people have on stock diesels. You can't achieve the same level of reliability from a haphazardly programmed engine as you can from a factory programmed one.
fuel mapping isn't rocket surgery

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I do... quite a lot of people actually.... it's very simple to do and very little BS is required. I can delete my truck and be back on the road in less than 8 hrs if I'm poking around. I've done it in less than 6 when I've been in a hurry. That's a lot better than waiting 6 weeks for a backordered part to come in to the dealership.

We can't really discuss using them as intended, because some people need them infrequently but when they need them, they need them. A gas burner doesn't work in every scenario. I needed mine on Friday. I haven't "needed" it in about a month up until that point, but had it not been available when I needed it we would have been in a heck of a pickle. It's not up for anyone to decide when a truck is needed or what they need but the person that owns it.

The programming/tuning isn't as haphazardly designed as you think. If you're referring to turning up the power just know that not everyone deletes to gain power. Some do it to overcome emissions failures and make the trucks more reliable.

The engine doesn't care (nor know) whether it has aftertreatment on it or not. As long as it gets the proper air/fuel ratio it will run. The only thing that cares is the computer. The fuel maps on a stock HP delete tune are changed just enough to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio with a more free-flowing intake/exhaust. If you recall, diesel engines ran for decades perfectly fine with no type of aftertreatment on it... most for hundreds of thousands of miles. It isn't rocket surgery to do it now.

The only thing that is going on at that level is to make the computer think that the emissions equipment is in tact so that it doesn't set limp mode.

Last edited:

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
uel mapping isn't rocket surgery

And I assume someone is doing a torsional vibration analysis with the newly modified cylinder pressure maps to verify the damper is still doing its job? Making sure vibratory torque isnt chewing up the transmission? Making sure the turbo actuator duty cycle is within the limits it was designed for? Making sure the newly reduced backpressure isnt going to lead to compressor stalls and turbo overspeeds? Doing a few million miles of validation testing?

There's a universal theme when talking about trucks that **** out on people - they're deleted diesels. Every diesel bros "dude" who does their truck is an expert who REALLY knows what he's doing, free from the restraints of the EPA to make an engine run "like its supposed to." None of those trucks ever last as long as factory ones.

Don't do it. Sell it and get a gas burner.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And I assume someone is doing a torsional vibration analysis with the newly modified cylinder pressure maps to verify the damper is still doing its job? Making sure vibratory torque isnt chewing up the transmission? Making sure the turbo actuator duty cycle is within the limits it was designed for? Making sure the newly reduced backpressure isnt going to lead to compressor stalls and turbo overspeeds? Doing a few million miles of validation testing?

There's a universal theme when talking about trucks that **** out on people - they're deleted diesels. Every diesel bros "dude" who does their truck is an expert who REALLY knows what he's doing, free from the restraints of the EPA to make an engine run "like its supposed to." None of those trucks ever last as long as factory ones.

Don't do it. Sell it and get a gas burner.
lol.....ok buddy

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a couple of interesting experiences in regard to deleting a diesel late model truck. I owned a 2019 Ram 3500 SWB single rear wheel truck that I used for towing a toy hauler. The truck developed electrical problems that the dealer diagnosed as a faulty TIPM module. The module was on indefinite nationwide backorder, no ETA for getting a replacement. In this situation it surprised me that the dealer was willing to take it on trade for a 2023 Ram 3500 LWB single rear wheel truck, with an excellent trade in price given. Except, they had to pull the truck into their shop and inspect the emissions equipment. They told me if it had been deleted, they wouldn't take the truck for any price. It had not been deleted.

A year later Ram was offering $11,000 incentives on new trucks, and I had changed from a toy hauler to a slide in camper that was a little too much for my single rear wheel truck. I went to a different dealer and price shopped for a similarly equipped 2024 dual rear wheel 3500 LWB truck. With the incentives on the new truck and low miles on my 2023 I was able to trade for a dually truck for a great price. This was a different dealer, and once again they took it into their shop to inspect the emissions equipment. If it had been deleted, they wouldn't have taken the truck for any price.

So that may be something to think about. Delete the emissions equipment on your diesel truck and it is unsellable at that point.

Last edited: