Y PIPE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are there any facts as to a comparison between an after market Y pipe with flowmaster exhaust with resonator delet vs the install of a true dual exhaust system.?
Can I get some opinion from al the lads out there that might have some insight Knowledge....Thanks

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I mean from a fluid dynamics pov, as long as sizing of pipes is optimized, (I.e 2.25” Y’d into 3”… vs true dual 2.25”), velocity should remain similar, scavenging may be altered but not much that far down the line after the collectors… sound will be marginally different (less smooth) since each bank will have 1/2” the pressure waves in a dual setup vs the y’d.

The biggest factor for power imo is proper sizing to keep velocity.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I mean from a fluid dynamics pov, as long as sizing of pipes is optimized, (I.e 2.25” Y’d into 3”… vs true dual 2.25”), velocity should remain similar, scavenging may be altered but not much that far down the line after the collectors… sound will be marginally different since each bank will have 1/2” the pressure waves in a dual setup vs the y’d.

The biggest factor for power imo is proper sizing to keep velocity.
Not much scavenging effect with the stock cast iron manifolds.The scavenging effect occurs at the collectors on a set of long tubes,after that you want just enough pipe diameter to keep the flow /velocity up. A big single system will usually produce better results on a stock engine then a set of dual pipes will

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not much scavenging effect with the stock cast iron manifolds.The scavenging effect occurs at the collectors on a set of long tubes,after that you want just enough pipe diameter to keep the flow /velocity up. A big single system will usually produce better results on a stock engine then a set of dual pipes will
True my brain automatically went to tubular. Cast is going to be turbulent regardless.