2020 1500 classic oil in the spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjgdino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got an engine light, pulled the code. #6 misfire. I pulled the plugs in the # 6 cylinder and they were covered with oil. I understand that this is the o rings in the valve covers. My question is: the truck only has 90k miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem. Other than this, the 5.7 motor has been great.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op, I just went through this on my 14. The seals are super easy to replace once you get the valve cover off. Be thankful it's #6 and not something on the driver side. The driver side valve cover is a pain to replace however passenger does provide for ease of access. Good luck

PS good time to replace plugs if they have not been replaced as you will have everything undone on that side

PhillipVanarsdel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got an engine light, pulled the code. #6 misfire. I pulled the plugs in the # 6 cylinder and they were covered with oil. I understand that this is the o rings in the valve covers. My question is: the truck only has 90k miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem. Other than this, the 5.7 motor has been great.
Mine did the exact same thing. It's only got 47k, so I took it to the dealership under the powertrain warranty. They told me it was a software update and is ready to pickup. I asked if they even looked at the plugs. No. They sent it back and now have "Your vehicle is ready for pickup, tech found that the compression was leaking past the spark plug. tech replaced spark plug and cylinder is now holding compression and misfire did not come back after test drive." This sounds like BS to me...

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Yes this is a known issue, but another "possible" cause is the why. It is possible the pcv is clogged? Or do you have a catch can? Yes fix the o ring, but also consider possible issues downstream.
So do you think a catch can causes this? Creates pressure?
I have one fitted. I’d really like to be educated in not actually causing issues for the future!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So do you think a catch can causes this? Creates pressure?
I have one fitted. I’d really like to be educated in not actually causing issues for the future!
Catch can wouldnt likely cause this no, perhaps not even crank case poorly ventilated, but it is good practice to have open pcv, which a catch can does as well. I think catch can is nothing but beneficial. My original post was me just promoting good maintenance as opposed to a real threat.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
thanks Burla. Nice to know. I’ve had this one on three trucks now with never an issue.

OP
OP
P

pjgdino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replaced the o rings. Didn't fix the problem. Turned out when the cylinder reduction kicked in from 8 to 4, it caused some valves to stick. There is a kit to delete this function. Unfortunately, had to replace the cam and valves. I have talked to a couple of mechanics and was told this is a common problem with these motors.