2023 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey ya'll this is my first post and super happy to have found the community. Bought a 2023 RAM (engine specs in title) and towed my new 2022 Grand Design MK200 travel trailer from TX to GA about ~1,000 miles. I've read some of the posts here and I've found what you guys have said to be extremely accurate, specifically the part about with a 3.21 rear axle ratio in the 1500 how it is most efficient at towing speeds 48-57 MPH. I set my cruise control at 57 MPH on all flat dry roads, could hit 60 MPH on a downhill, and had to back it down to either 54 MPH, 52 MPH, or 50 MPH on all hill climbs depending on steepness of the grade. As others have said here I'm just a little uncomfortable with 57 MPH being my top highway speed pulling this 6,500 lb trailer. Lots of highways with 70 MPH limits and I'm in the far right lane (or sometimes one lane with a line of unhappy people behind me) going 50 crawling up the moderately gentle hills coming into GA. I feel I'd never have a chance at ever taking the trailer to Colorado, Oregon, or even North Carolina where the hills will only get more aggressive. I mean, what would i do crawl up more agressive hills at 35/40 MPH in 70 MPH speed limits? Just feels like I need a bit more power here.

Basically reading that the 3.92 rear axle ratio is more efficient at 58-70 MPH which sounds awesome to be able to maintain 65 MPH and have the truck feeling happy to do so and maintain it. So thinking about just swapping trucks to get the 3.92 rear axle ratio in hopes of maintaining 65 MPH highway speeds. Also read I will lose a little mpg but that's ok. Only other option I'm considering is going for the diesel, but I see most have tow capacity of around 9,600 lbs in the 3.92 rear axle ratio. That's not much more tow capacity than I have right now at 8,200 lbs. If I stick to regular gas and go for the 3.92 I get 11,200 tow capacity.

I'm pretty close to just going out and swapping for my exact same Ram truck (2023 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine) but just doing a 3.92 rear axle instead of the current 3.21. Anything I'm missing here or fairly spot on? ** FYI I know I could push my current 3.21 past 57 MPH it just felt like 57 MPH was it's happy zone to maintain on flat roads. Anytime I pushed past that, it did it, it just felt like I was asking a bit too much from the vehicle. Any thoughts appreciated and thanks form a first time Ram owner!
I have a 2016 Ram Big Horn Crew Cab 4wd V8 with 3.21 rear end. Obviously not your high zoot mild hybrid but otherwise close. Let’s face it, you’re still driving an aerodynamic brick down the road. The optimum for me towing anything is between 60-65. You absolutely should use the tow haul feature no matter what. Probably best to drop down a gear or two when entering real hills, use that right foot judiciously and gently rather than cc. Pay attention to trans temp and oil temp; that will be best indicator toward your true capabilities. As for a trade, I’m sure the Dodge dealer would love to see you. You’ll take a bath for the probably ethereal higher tow speed - while the 3.92 will certainly be useful, do you really want to pay $thousands difference for that? Frankly, for a 6k plus trailer being pulled often, I’d rather have a 2500 anyway. Then you have surplus capacity and a much more capable tow combo. Don’t expect much in mpg no matter what. In my opinion, I’d stay with the current rig due to the pleasant driving experience and quiet engine over the road when not laden.

Roadkingwes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 Hemi
I towed my sons car from Iowa to Texas with my 2017 Ram 5.7 crew cab 3:21 gears, u-haul trailer combined weight of 5200 lbs. 75 miles an hour all the way, the only thing that sucked was 11 mpg, lots of gas, but plenty of power.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
but then a guy at the dealership told me I really only need it when climbing step hills. So toward ther end of a 1,000 mile pull I started trying that, just being in tow/haul mode to get up hills and then taking it out of tow/haul mode for flat roads or on downhills.
So how did that work out with putting it in tow/haul on steep hills, by going to 392's it will help a bit, I would keep your rig and work with it, you are going to lose 1,000 switching just for gear ratio, EcoDiesel I believe 2023 is the last year.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey ya'll this is my first post and super happy to have found the community. Bought a 2023 RAM (engine specs in title) and towed my new 2022 Grand Design MK200 travel trailer from TX to GA about ~1,000 miles. I've read some of the posts here and I've found what you guys have said to be extremely accurate, specifically the part about with a 3.21 rear axle ratio in the 1500 how it is most efficient at towing speeds 48-57 MPH. I set my cruise control at 57 MPH on all flat dry roads, could hit 60 MPH on a downhill, and had to back it down to either 54 MPH, 52 MPH, or 50 MPH on all hill climbs depending on steepness of the grade. As others have said here I'm just a little uncomfortable with 57 MPH being my top highway speed pulling this 6,500 lb trailer. Lots of highways with 70 MPH limits and I'm in the far right lane (or sometimes one lane with a line of unhappy people behind me) going 50 crawling up the moderately gentle hills coming into GA. I feel I'd never have a chance at ever taking the trailer to Colorado, Oregon, or even North Carolina where the hills will only get more aggressive. I mean, what would i do crawl up more agressive hills at 35/40 MPH in 70 MPH speed limits? Just feels like I need a bit more power here.

Basically reading that the 3.92 rear axle ratio is more efficient at 58-70 MPH which sounds awesome to be able to maintain 65 MPH and have the truck feeling happy to do so and maintain it. So thinking about just swapping trucks to get the 3.92 rear axle ratio in hopes of maintaining 65 MPH highway speeds. Also read I will lose a little mpg but that's ok. Only other option I'm considering is going for the diesel, but I see most have tow capacity of around 9,600 lbs in the 3.92 rear axle ratio. That's not much more tow capacity than I have right now at 8,200 lbs. If I stick to regular gas and go for the 3.92 I get 11,200 tow capacity.

I'm pretty close to just going out and swapping for my exact same Ram truck (2023 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine) but just doing a 3.92 rear axle instead of the current 3.21. Anything I'm missing here or fairly spot on? ** FYI I know I could push my current 3.21 past 57 MPH it just felt like 57 MPH was it's happy zone to maintain on flat roads. Anytime I pushed past that, it did it, it just felt like I was asking a bit too much from the vehicle. Any thoughts appreciated and thanks form a first time Ram owner!
I tow a traile
Thanks for the reply! Yeah first time tower with 6,500 lbs behind me. Lol I never even paid attn to the temperature (noted) Yeah it's the engine rpm's making me think I'm asking too much. Torque tows a trailer (noted) Yes was trying to keep it 2k rpm's towing with the Hemi V8 etorque. Ok so if it pops up to 4k rpm's not a big deal and nothing to worry about it seems. Again first time tower with 6,500 lbs. Yeah sounds like the EcoDiesel may have been a better choice for me. But I'l hang onto this truck for a while since I just bought it lol prefer not to lose $10k immediately on trade in.

How long can I be between 3k and 4k rpms running with this engine and everything still totally fine? Also would you reccomend I leave tow mode on the entire time? Any reason to take it out of tow mode occasionally or just on 100% of the time? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!
i would not want to pull any travel trailer without a2500. I would rather be overly qualified then slightly under qualified

i have both the 3.92 is faster off the line but for every day driving3.21 is better. Honestly at 70 mph couple hundred rpm difference just run it in tow haul and in 7 gear

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
by going to 392's it will help a bit

It really won't. There are 2 sets of gears at play, transmission gears and axle gears. You can change either one to get the same power/RPMS at roughly the same speed.

Only reason I'm stressing this is because OP might be coaxed into wasiting money on a gear change when we know with 100% mathematical certainly it will not give him even 1hp extra. Not at city/highway speeds.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the concern is just the RPM range, the facts don't support going to a 3.92 gear set (which, by the way is x2 for four wheel drive).

But after giving this some thought the 3.92 gear set adds roughly 3,000 lbs (+-) towing capacity over the 3.21 in an otherwise same equipped truck. Why?

The only thought I have at the moment is regardless of the RPM range in each gear, it might be easier on the transmission when towing near the 1500s max of around 10,400 lbs.

I've had two 1500s with the 3.92 gear set, and now this one with a 3.21. Since I no longer need to tow 10,000 pounds, I wouldn't hesitate to order another truck with the 3.21.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92766 miles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That was my next question! When and how to use tow/haul mode. I started by having it on 100% of the time at first but then a guy at the dealership told me I really only need it when climbing step hills. So toward ther end of a 1,000 mile pull I started trying that, just being in tow/haul mode to get up hills and then taking it out of tow/haul mode for flat roads or on downhills.
Put in T/H mode and let her rip tater chip, no need to take it out of T/H on flat ground or going down hill unless you don't like it dropping gears to keep your at speed when going down the hill...

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the concern is just the RPM range, the facts don't support going to a 3.92 gear set (which, by the way is x2 for four wheel drive).

But after giving this some thought the 3.92 gear set adds roughly 3,000 lbs (+-) towing capacity over the 3.21 in an otherwise same equipped truck. Why?

The only thought I have at the moment is regardless of the RPM range in each gear, it might be easier on the transmission when towing near the 1500s max of around 10,400 lbs.

I've had two 1500s with the 3.92 gear set, and now this one with a 3.21. Since I no longer need to tow 10,000 pounds, I wouldn't hesitate to order another truck with the 3.21.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92766 miles.

The reason is because when you're at a dead stop, the 3.92 will have more torque multiplication; the 8 speed has no room left to downshift, so at that you can no longer match the final gear ratios by using the transmission. When you then go WOT and calculate 0 to 30/60, the 3.92 will have more power from a dead stop and so it will reach 30/60 faster, which then "increases" the tow rating.

In the city/highway, the transmission gears adjust to match the final gear ratios found in the 3.92.

But OP's problem isn't a "starting from a stop" problem.

Also keep in mind that when towing my trailer (6000 to 7000) my truck sits in 6th gear for 95% of the trip (if it's all flat highway towing), which is direct gear. In a 3.92, that truck would be sitting in 7th/overdrive at the same RPMs. It's actually the 3.21 that will be putting less stress on the transmission because its not in overdrive.

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
my truck sits in 6th gear for 95% of the trip (if it's all flat highway towing), which is direct gear.
Newbie question here lol and from OP, how do you know what gear your engine is in at any moment?

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Newbie question here lol and from OP, how do you know what gear your engine is in at any moment?
On your instrument cluster, next to the PRND display, there should be a number (1-8) which indicates which gear you're in. At least that's where I see it. If you don't see it, you may need to go into your settings to show it. Not sure where it is if you have the all digital gauge cluster.

OP
OP
A

AndoTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
@HuskerRam you've got the 2022 Ram 1500 - 3.0 EcoDiesel! That's exactly one of the trucks I am very very close to considering here! How do you personally feel that truck would do at towing 6,500 to 6,800 lbs? I notice the max pull on those is 9,600.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
@HuskerRam you've got the 2022 Ram 1500 - 3.0 EcoDiesel! That's exactly one of the trucks I am very very close to considering here! How do you personally feel that truck would do at towing 6,500 to 6,800 lbs? I notice the max pull on those is 9,600.
Great timing with your question. I bought the truck a month ago with 2300 miles on it. I took it out last weekend for a maiden tow with my 6400 lbs camper (loaded). It was only about 70 miles, but it gave me a good idea of performance. It towed the camper well up and down hills (I’ve got 3.21 gears). You’re still towing with a half-ton, so you know it’s still behind you, but I thought it performed well when passing traffic and getting on the interstate. Towing MPG was around 12 (better than my Hemi which got 8-9), but again, it was a short trip.

If your WDH is set up right (mine needs a little work), and you’re safe with your speeds, it’ll pull 6800 lbs just fine (depending on terrain, too).

I liked my 2018 Hemi with 3.92s when pulling this camper, but the 3.0 with 3.21s pull it just as well.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On your instrument cluster, next to the PRND display, there should be a number (1-8) which indicates which gear you're in. At least that's where I see it. If you don't see it, you may need to go into your settings to show it. Not sure where it is if you have the all digital gauge cluster.
Mine is on my steering wheel at 4:00.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That’s where the ERS switches are (for locking out trans gears), but I think he was looking for where on the cluster it shows which gear specifically he’s in.
Yes, that is the only way for me to know which gear I'm in at any given moment. I engage the ERS, then tap the + button until the right-hand number says "8", then the left-hand number will tell me which gear I am currently in. Mine has the two numbers side-by-side, with the right-hand number underlined and a bit smaller than the left-hand number.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes, that is the only way for me to know which gear I'm in at any given moment. I engage the ERS, then tap the + button until the right-hand number says "8", then the left-hand number will tell me which gear I am currently in. Mine has the two numbers side-by-side, with the right-hand number underlined and a bit smaller than the left-hand number.

In Uconnect settings there will be an option to display the gear number permanently, without having to use the gear limiter.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In Uconnect settings there will be an option to display the gear number permanently, without having to use the gear limiter.
I didn't know that, I'll look for that. But then I would have to look over at the screen to see it, and since I seldom have the unit turned on that wouldn't do me any good anyway.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't know that, I'll look for that. But then I would have to look over at the screen to see it, and since I seldom have the unit turned on that wouldn't do me any good anyway.

The configuration is done once in uconnect, the actual gear display shows up in your instrument cluster in the same spot it does when you use gear limiter.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Mine rides like a Cadillac.
Even the Cadillac XLR rides better than a 2500, and they rode like crap as they're basically a Cadillac styled C6 Corvette(both were built on the GM Y platform).