Alfa OBD Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danmit37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking for some help from the Alfa OBD guru's, please. I will admit that I only half ass searched for info, but didn't see what I specifically need.

I just traded my 2017 1500 BigHorn for a 2022 1500 Sport (out of Canada). I bought Alfa OBD and have it installed on a laptop with the connecting cable for my 2017. I know its old school, but that's what I have. The Alfa OBD site is talking about interfaces, SGW's, colored adapters. Dumb it down for me, please. Will my current OBD work and what else do I need to buy to make it work?

The truck came with 305/55R20's on it, so I need to adjust for that. There has also been discussion in here about the Low Beam DRLs and whether they can be turned off and just run the 'brow' LEDs.

Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looking for some help from the Alfa OBD guru's, please. I will admit that I only half ass searched for info, but didn't see what I specifically need.

I just traded my 2017 1500 BigHorn for a 2022 1500 Sport (out of Canada). I bought Alfa OBD and have it installed on a laptop with the connecting cable for my 2017. I know its old school, but that's what I have. The Alfa OBD site is talking about interfaces, SGW's, colored adapters. Dumb it down for me, please. Will my current OBD work and what else do I need to buy to make it work?

The truck came with 305/55R20's on it, so I need to adjust for that. There has also been discussion in here about the Low Beam DRLs and whether they can be turned off and just run the 'brow' LEDs.

Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

You don't need SGW for your year of Truck. You need to module to connect to the port though. Not sure what you mean by the cable. There are some, that are USB to ODB port, if that is what you mean?

Otherwise it's pretty easy. Make sure you do back up before making any changes. Somewhere @Jimmy07 posted about the DRL, etc...

I would change the Country Code to the US. I think Jimmy mentioned there are two or three places to do that.

OP
OP
danmit37

danmit37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@CanRebel Thank you! Yes, when I say cable, I mean USB to OBD. I don't have the set up for wireless to my phone or tablet.

I found a simple 12+8 adapter on Amazon that should connect my USB OBD cable to the truck. So it sounds like I should be all set.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@CanRebel Thank you! Yes, when I say cable, I mean USB to OBD. I don't have the set up for wireless to my phone or tablet.

I found a simple 12+8 adapter on Amazon that should connect my USB OBD cable to the truck. So it sounds like I should be all set.

I’m going to respectfully disagree with CanRebel. You stated that you traded a 2017 model on a 2022 model. Beginning 2018 both 4th and 5th generation trucks need a security gateway bypass cable to access the CANBUS.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going to respectfully disagree with CanRebel. You stated that you traded a 2017 model on a 2022 model. Beginning 2018 both 4th and 5th generation trucks need a security gateway bypass cable to access the CANBUS.

CanRebel must have misunderstood the first post. I'm confident that most members know that any Ram 2018+ requires a security gateway bypass harness.

The 5th gen trucks have the security gateway module behind/beside the OBDii port & the 12+8 adapter should be sufficient.

My '21 4th gen has the security gateway module behind the radio, I use a KaodTech security gateway bypass cable that is also connected behind the OBDii port.

AFAIK, the 12+8 style cable, connected directly to the SGM must be removed before visiting a dealership. In contrast, my KaodTech harness does not affect the OEM OBDii port and can remain installed.

I installed my KaodTech harness last year, which remains coiled up behind the dash.

I also use AlfaOBD with a Windows laptop and a USB interface for the OBDii port. I don't trust any Android device to make changes to my truck, regardless if that's the more common method.

I use an OBDlink SX and am very happy with the performance. Much faster and safer than a Bluetooth interface, and only $50 instead of $140 for an MX+.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CanRebel must have misunderstood the first post. I'm confident that most members know that any Ram 2018+ requires a security gateway bypass harness.

The 5th gen trucks have the security gateway module behind/beside the OBDii port & the 12+8 adapter should be sufficient.

My '21 4th gen has the security gateway module behind the radio, I use a KaodTech security gateway bypass cable that is also connected behind the OBDii port.

AFAIK, the 12+8 style cable, connected directly to the SGM must be removed before visiting a dealership. In contrast, my KaodTech harness does not affect the OEM OBDii port and can remain installed.

I installed my KaodTech harness last year, which remains coiled up behind the dash.

I also use AlfaOBD with a Windows laptop and a USB interface for the OBDii port. I don't trust any Android device to make changes to my truck, regardless if that's the more common method.

I use an OBDlink SX and am very happy with the performance. Much faster and safer than a Bluetooth interface, and only $50 instead of $140 for an MX+.

I agree CanRebel may have been thinking 2017 which doesn’t need the SGW cable.

+1 on the KaodTech cable. Works perfectly and reasonably priced. Mine has been flawless and I leave it connected.

OP
OP
danmit37

danmit37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thank you. I think this is starting to make more sense. I also have the OBDLink SX. If I am understanding correctly, I am not going to connect to the trucks OBDii port, rather hook the 12+8 style cable to the truck, then my OBDLink SX cable hooks to the other end of the 12+8?

The cable below is the 12+8 that I am looking to buy.

Sorry for the questions. I just want to make sure I understand things correctly. I don't have a problem when I'm in AlfaOBD, just can't get my head around this.

1720722188874.png

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. I think this is starting to make more sense. I also have the OBDLink SX. If I am understanding correctly, I am not going to connect to the trucks OBDii port, rather hook the 12+8 style cable to the truck, then my OBDLink SX cable hooks to the other end of the 12+8?

Sorry for the questions. I just want to make sure I understand things correctly. I don't have a problem when I'm in AlfaOBD, just can't get my head around this.

No worries about more questions, we're all here to learn. :cool:

Your comments above are accurate and correct.

Directions from Amazon;

Autel 12+8 SGW bypass gen 5 directions.jpg

The above directions are a bit repetitive and could be confusing.

Step 2 is repeated in brackets.
Steps 3 & 4 are redundant and translate to the same process, AFAIC. :cool:

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 546630

It appears the cable you are inquiring about is a proprietary cable for Autel scanners.

Maybe RamDiver can clarify as you are looking to use the OBDLink SX that he uses. I think you are simply looking for a security bypass cable that allows you to bypass the gateway module and allows you to connect the OBDLink adapter. The cable you reference appears to be for Autel scanners only.

The bypass cable that RamDiver called out by KaodTech will bypass the security module and connect to the OBDLink adapter via the OBD2 port.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am not going to connect to the trucks OBDii port, rather hook the 12+8 style cable to the truck, then my OBDLink SX cable hooks to the other end of the 12+8?
Correct.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It appears the cable you are inquiring about is a proprietary cable for Autel scanners.

Maybe RamDiver can clarify as you are looking to use the OBDLink SX that he uses. I think you are simply looking for a security bypass cable that allows you to bypass the gateway module and allows you to connect the OBDLink adapter. The cable you reference appears to be for Autel scanners only.

The 12+8 bypass cable is suitable for gen 5 trucks when the security gateway is located behind the OBDii port. And it will allow connection to any OBD interface.

I have read about people using this same cable with gen4 trucks and dissecting the dash, before and after to access the module behind the radio. My time is far more valuable than to waste it performing a R&R behind the radio.

The only PITA with this cable is it must be removed before visiting a stealership and the security gateway reconnected to the OEM harness.

Personally, I prefer the KaodTech harness for $55. Install once, and walk away. :cool:

The bypass cable that RamDiver called out by KaodTech will bypass the security module and connect to the OBDLink adapter via the OBD2 port.

The KaodTech has 4 connectors. Two small connectors for 2 blocks in behind, the OEM OBDii port, and the liberated in/out for your OBD interface/Bluetooth.

You have the option of removing the OEM OBDii port from the lower bracket and replacing it with the new, unsecured OBD port from the harness, to make for a tidy installation.

My truck has several years of warranty remaining so, I choose to leave the OEM OBDii port as stock and plug in the bypass interface when required.

This just leaves a small coil of wire with 2 connectors, loose behind the dash. I tuck it away, it's clean and out of site.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 12+8 bypass cable is suitable for gen 5 trucks when the security gateway is located behind the OBDii port. And it will allow connection to any OBD interface.

I have read about people using this same cable with gen4 trucks and dissecting the dash, before and after to access the module behind the radio. My time is far more valuable than to waste it performing a R&R behind the radio.

The only PITA with this cable is it must be removed before visiting a stealership and the security gateway reconnected to the OEM harness.

Personally, I prefer the KaodTech harness for $55. Install once, and walk away. :cool:

The KaodTech has 4 connectors. Two small connectors for 2 blocks in behind, the OEM OBDii port, and the liberated in/out for your OBD interface/Bluetooth.

You have the option of removing the OEM OBDii port from the lower bracket and replacing it with the new, unsecured OBD port from the harness, to make for a tidy installation.

My truck has several years of warranty remaining so, I choose to leave the OEM OBDii port as stock and plug in the bypass interface when required.

This just leaves a small coil of wire with 2 connectors, loose behind the dash. I tuck it away, it's clean and out of site.

Thank you for the explanation RamDiver. I’m unfamiliar with the 12+8 cable. I learned something new and appreciate the time you took to explain.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the explanation RamDiver. I’m unfamiliar with the 12+8 cable. I learned something new and appreciate the time you took to explain.

You're most welcome.

There are just so many options and variables, it's hard for any of us to keep up.

The more we know collectively, the better this forum can be. :cool:

OP
OP
danmit37

danmit37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I greatly appreciate all the info and help from everyone. It's part of the reason I joined this forum.

Sounds like I just need to make sure that my gateway is beside/behind the OBDii.

Hopefull the last question...if I go with the 12+8 cable that I posted, can I leave it it as long as I don't have to go to the dealer? Just debating if I should save $30 or if I should by the Kaod. Looks like they hook up differently, according to instructions (Autel through 8 and 12 pin connectors on the SGM and Kaod through the CAN Blocks). Kaod also says to unhook before taking to dealer?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
@danmit37 Sorry about that. I misread your posted. As the others mentioned you do need SGW by-pass for your 2022 Truck.

The Cable you listed does work as well. I have cables, and modules. I prefer module as it's easier install and take out when you need.
Example Z Automotive module, it cost around $69US

I would go with cable you listed, and plug OBDLink SX into it, since you are not using Bluetooth.

You should always take it out before going to dealer. I have left in module a few times without issues. But others have had issue.

Question. Since it was Canadian truck. Do you have warranty? Often Trucks from Canada end up in the US without it, dealers claim there is.

OP
OP
danmit37

danmit37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@danmit37 Sorry about that. I misread your posted. As the others mentioned you do need SGW by-pass for your 2022 Truck.

The Cable you listed does work as well. I have cables, and modules. I prefer module as it's easier install and take out when you need.
Example Z Automotive module, it cost around $69US

I would go with cable you listed, and plug OBDLink SX into it, since you are not using Bluetooth.

You should always take it out before going to dealer. I have left in module a few times without issues. But others have had issue.

Question. Since it was Canadian truck. Do you have warranty? Often Trucks from Canada end up in the US without it, dealers claim there is.
No worries on the misread. Good info on the cables. Thank you.

So...with the Canadian truck. I did ask the dealer and he said it is hit or miss as to whether a US dealer can use the warranty. But my particular dealer adds in an extended warranty to the sale so that the truck is covered, regardless of factory warranty. My extended warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles from when I purchased the truck.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No worries on the misread. Good info on the cables. Thank you.

So...with the Canadian truck. I did ask the dealer and he said it is hit or miss as to whether a US dealer can use the warranty. But my particular dealer adds in an extended warranty to the sale so that the truck is covered, regardless of factory warranty. My extended warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles from when I purchased the truck.

Was just curious. I have few relatives/friends that move car/trucks between both countries. They are supposed to do the request when they export/import, most do not. You can request it as well. Since you have extended warranty, it's likely not needed.

I tagged Jimmy07 above. Search some of his responses. There was thread about week ago, with basically same question on Canadian Truck and DRL, good information from him and others.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefull the last question...if I go with the 12+8 cable that I posted, can I leave it it as long as I don't have to go to the dealer?

Just debating if I should save $30 or if I should by the Kaod. Looks like they hook up differently, according to instructions (Autel through 8 and 12 pin connectors on the SGM and Kaod through the CAN Blocks).

Kaod also says to unhook before taking to dealer?

The 12+8 harness is a physical bypass for the Security Gateway and can stay installed until you visit a stealership.

The KaodTech connects directly to the Can bus system and can remain installed provided you leave the OEM OBDii port in the stock configuration for the stealership access.

Either of these bypass cables remaining installed does bypass the security gateway and does pose a security risk, of sorts.

When I bought my Ram truck, in January '22, the sales manager and others at this dealership insisted that I could tweak anything I wanted without repercussion.

If I were to damage anything while tweaking, it would not be covered under warranty. My own research on Ram trucks seemed to support this as correct yet I have read about people losing their warranty for getting caught with a security bypass cable installed.

Naturally, these dramatic stories are always 4th & 5th hand and I have yet to hear 1 person confirm it happened to them personally.

I believe specific laws address this issue and AFAIK, the manufacturer would have to prove your actions caused a particular system to fail before they could cancel any warranty coverage and only to that specific item.

I'm not a lawyer but I can't imagine there could be any legal ability to cancel anyone's warranty over an installed security bypass cable. I call BS! I leave my KaodTech harness installed.

At the end of the day, your truck is your decision. :cool:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My experience with the bypass cable and dealership service is similar to RamDiver. While purely anecdotal I’ve had my bypass installed when the dealership replaced a coolant valve, driver side outside mirror, cruise control switch and a delaminated 8.4 radio screen. The dealership never even mentioned the bypass cable. In fact I added keyless and go to a BigHorn that didn’t even have that option in 2018 and a Kicker Key amplifier both without any issue from the dealership service department. I thought for sure they would deny the radio delamination warranty because of the bypass cable and aftermarket amplifier but it never came into play. I would only hope that most dealers would be as reasonable as the one I use.