Alpha obd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsmith96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello I am new to the Forum and I'm not certain where to post. I recently turned off the constant headlights on my 2019 Ram sport (canadian model) using Alpha obd. This truck is currently in the United States so this option is not necessary. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with changing the country code? Will this open up more options? Thanks.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Hello I am new to the Forum and I'm not certain where to post. I recently turned off the constant headlights on my 2019 Ram sport (canadian model) using Alpha obd. This truck is currently in the United States so this option is not necessary. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with changing the country code? Will this open up more options? Thanks.
If it is still on warranty do NOT change the country code. In addition, daytime running lights are proven safety feature that costs ZERO to run. I would never turn mine off, and most of the time I run with all lights on. You are far more visible than running dark.

OP
OP
J

jsmith96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not under warranty. I use the daytime running lights All the time so that I am more visible . I changed it so the headlights can be turned off when the truck is parked and the engine is running. In the Canadian model trucks the headlights are on all the time when the engine is running. Even when in park.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It's not under warranty. I use the daytime running lights All the time so that I am more visible . I changed it so the headlights can be turned off when the truck is parked and the engine is running. In the Canadian model trucks the headlights are on all the time when the engine is running. Even when in park.
If you apply the emergency brake only the daytime running lights, or eyebrows as many call them, stay lit but your method works too. My pickup is still on warranty so have not tried changing Country code from Canada to the States..

OP
OP
J

jsmith96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I noticed when using the park brake it would shut the low beams off. But it left the signature Lighting on. Now if I turn my headlamp switch to the off position everything is off.

CrazyHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it is still on warranty do NOT change the country code. In addition, daytime running lights are proven safety feature that costs ZERO to run. I would never turn mine off, and most of the time I run with all lights on. You are far more visible than running darkHet

If it is still on warranty do NOT change the country code. In addition, daytime running lights are proven safety feature that costs ZERO to run. I would never turn mine off, and most of the time I run with all lights on. You are far more visible than running dark.
Hey Dean.......why do you say this? Is it an issue changing the country Code?

I was going to do this on my 2024 as I want the option to turn off the DRL constant use of the Headlight and have it set like the USA Trucks that then use the Brows.

I have the new Headlight Switch already, Bypass Cable, MX+ and Alfa OBD all ready to go.

In my opinion I believe the Brows should be good enough for DRL use. I would then also have the option to use the Headlights as DRL through the Radio Settings.

Thoughts?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

I was going to do this on my 2024 as I want the option to turn off the DRL constant use of the Headlight and have it set like the USA Trucks that then use the Brows.

I have the new Headlight Switch already, Bypass Cable, MX+ and Alfa OBD all ready to go.

In my opinion I believe the Brows should be good enough for DRL use. I would then also have the option to use the Headlights as DRL through the Radio Settings.

Thoughts?
Ypu can change which lights are used as the drl without changing the country code. You can't shut them on and off like a U.S. vehicle however.

If you change the country code to be able to do that it will be very obvious if the dealer hooks up to the vehicle and that could well blow out your warranty as the country code won't match the vin.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Many members believe if you get caught changing anything with AlfaOBD, your entire warranty with FCA will become null & void.

I've read about members who believe that if you so much as get caught with a bypass cable installed, your vehicle will be flagged and the warranty voided.

When I purchased my truck in January '22, the sales manager insisted (right or wrong) that there would be no grief with anything I changed and no impact on the warranty.

However, if my alterations caused a failure, that would be my problem and I would not get any warranty for that item.

My KaodTech bypass cable has never been removed since the day I installed it, I keep it tucked away under the dash and have not altered the OEM OBDii port.

I'm not overly concerned about my warranty being voided because I chose to make a few configuration changes but that is your decision to make for your truck.

Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with any settings or changes to the brow lights, my truck is browless. :cool:

I have made changes with AlfaOBD so that my DRLs are an option in the radio menu and have the ability to turn them on or off. The default DRL for my truck is front signal lights.

The DRL are always enabled and I have the dashboard light sensor covered with black electrical tape so that the headlights come on when the sun gets low.

IIRC, I made the following changes to DRL settings;

Switched from Canada DRL to Optional DRL.

DRL options.jpg

Cust.set.menu 1 -Daytime running lights CSM present /yes

DRL cust set menu.jpg

And, drl/ ECUConfig 3 -Customer setting option present/ yes.

DRL cust set option present.jpg

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Ramdriver - very well explained. This is what I was referring to as being able to change DRL settings without having to change the Country code. On my 2500, I had not seen the DRL Optional selection so I am going to go back in and check to see if it is there. That would be the best of both worlds. Only time I would turn DRL off would be off road, pulling into field entrances to setup etc.

I agree on the bypass cable, mine has never come out since install. I am not worried about the dealer seeing changes to Fog light drop out, TPMS settings, or any other general settings either for that matter. What worries me about someone changing the Country code is, warranty on U.S. sourced vehicles brought to Canada has always been problematic, depending on the Dealer you use. I would not want to give them the ability to say mine is a U.S. vehicle and therefore not covered.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What worries me about someone changing the Country code is, warranty on U.S. sourced vehicles brought to Canada has always been problematic, depending on the Dealer you use. I would not want to give them the ability to say mine is a U.S. vehicle and therefore not covered.

I agree with not adjusting the country code unless you plan to put it back before visiting a dealership.

I'm not aware of any great features we're missing in Canada so, what's the point?

CrazyHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with not adjusting the country code unless you plan to put it back before visiting a dealership.

I'm not aware of any great features we're missing in Canada so, what's the point?

The reason is.......that Trucks in Canada since 2022 have no OFF feature on the Headlight Switch.
I need to have the OFF position to get the Brows to come up when truck is not using the DRL as the USA trucks do. I tried just changing the switch only on my 2022 truck and it would not work correctly. The USA Switch has all the same electrical Pins in all the exact same locations as my Canadian Switch so the issue of it not working correctly has to be a software setting.
From what I have determined, in order for the switch to work correctly I need to change the country code.
My Canadian dealer helped me get the correct USA Truck switch and it was a lot of work to figure out and he had to rely on some help from a USA Dealer to figure it out. My Dealer has said I could book it into the shop and pay to have a Tech look to see if they can make the change or they would work with me in the lot while using Alfa OBD as they are used to using it and have programmed lots of stuff that they just can not do with there Mopar Programming Link.

I hope I have explained this in a manner that is not confusing.
I appreciate everyones input.

To me changing the County Code would not change the fact that my truck is still a Canadian Truck as the Stickers on the Truck plus the Build sheet shows the original destination is Canada. Plus I purchased my truck new and can prove first registrations is Canadian.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason is.......that Trucks in Canada since 2022 have no OFF feature on the Headlight Switch.
I need to have the OFF position to get the Brows to come up when truck is not using the DRL as the USA trucks do. I tried just changing the switch only on my 2022 truck and it would not work correctly. The USA Switch has all the same electrical Pins in all the exact same locations as my Canadian Switch so the issue of it not working correctly has to be a software setting.
From what I have determined, in order for the switch to work correctly I need to change the country code.
My Canadian dealer helped me get the correct USA Truck switch and it was a lot of work to figure out and he had to rely on some help from a USA Dealer to figure it out. My Dealer has said I could book it into the shop and pay to have a Tech look to see if they can make the change or they would work with me in the lot while using Alfa OBD as they are used to using it and have programmed lots of stuff that they just can not do with there Mopar Programming Link.

I hope I have explained this in a manner that is not confusing.
I appreciate everyones input.

To me changing the County Code would not change the fact that my truck is still a Canadian Truck as the Stickers on the Truck plus the Build sheet shows the original destination is Canada. Plus I purchased my truck new and can prove first registrations is Canadian.

Fair enough.

I have no experience using these features on AlfaOBD, please post your results. FYI, in the Country code options, there's also a setting called 'Not Programmed' as another option to try testing.

You might want to verify your current setting in Country of Destination, while you're there.

As a standard operating procedure (SOP) before altering any settings with AlfaOBD, be sure to copy your current configuration and save the file in a known location.

AlfaOBD country code.jpg

AlfaOBD does allow you to select your preferred DRL source and to add a setting in the radio to enable/disable DRL, as described in my earlier post.

As far as I know, there is no option to add switching the DRL to a different source using the radio.

AlfaOBD DRL options.jpg

You're fortunate to have found an open-minded dealer to assist you with this project. Please keep in mind that should you require the services of another dealer, they may not be as cooperative.

This is the reason that Dean has expressed concerns about adjusting the Country code. We have seen many people who have had serious headaches with Canadian trucks in the US & US trucks in Canada.

For some odd reason, FCA chooses to be highly intolerant when it comes to warranties from cross-border purchases. There's a highly regimented procedure one might use when purchasing from out of the country that requires advanced approval from FCA to maintain the warranty.

Moving to another country with a previously purchased and warrantied FCA vehicle appears to be hit & miss, from online observations. Many lose their warranty, regardless of the efforts or circumstances.

In contrast, my former '07 Tundra was a US truck, purchased and sold to me by a Canadian Toyota dealer. It had dual citizenship, as far as warranty.

I had warranty work completed in both Canada and the US and had zero grief. I had a $2K recall completed in Upper NY State because Toyota Canada didn't have all the parts.

Syracuse Toyota treated me as though I had bought the truck from them. :cool:

Are you listening FCA?

Last edited:

85octane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Gas non-ET
Wonderful information! I have the vLinker MC+ coming as neither my ELM327 nor OBDeleven would connect to the body computer. I'm at just under 15,000km so I'm going to call a dealer tomorrow and see if my warranty will transfer here to the US.

I have been looking at what all I would need to do to get a new headlight switch with 0-off position to work properly. From what I've gathered country code and destination country both need set to US. It was horrible being that guy at the drive-in theater blinding everybody. Even with the parking brake set, signature lights are extremely bright.

DRL settings don't look too difficult. What I want is my
- low beam off as DRL
- signature lights stay on as DRL's (like US)
- option to turn on and off in the radio

I also have a weird speedometer thing going on I'll have to troubleshoot. Basically digital mph displays correct mph, analog style gauge displays around 4mph lower across all speeds. Haven't been able to connect yet, hopefully it's just a calibration adjustment.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm at just under 15,000km so I'm going to call a dealer tomorrow and see if my warranty will transfer here to the US.

I hope you found something useful for your preferred setup.

Did you purchase a Security Gateway bypass harness?

Many of the members here use a KaodTech bypass harness.

I also wish you good luck and please post about your warranty transfer experience.

When I mentioned "in advance", that meant an application had to be sent to FCA, before the initial vehicle sale was completed.

I have yet to hear of any after sales successful transfers. Hopefully, you will be the first one. :cool:

CrazyHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wonderful information! I have the vLinker MC+ coming as neither my ELM327 nor OBDeleven would connect to the body computer. I'm at just under 15,000km so I'm going to call a dealer tomorrow and see if my warranty will transfer here to the US.

I have been looking at what all I would need to do to get a new headlight switch with 0-off position to work properly. From what I've gathered country code and destination country both need set to US. It was horrible being that guy at the drive-in theater blinding everybody. Even with the parking brake set, signature lights are extremely bright.

DRL settings don't look too difficult. What I want is my
- low beam off as DRL
- signature lights stay on as DRL's (like US)
- option to turn on and off in the radio

I also have a weird speedometer thing going on I'll have to troubleshoot. Basically digital mph displays correct mph, analog style gauge displays around 4mph lower across all speeds. Haven't been able to connect yet, hopefully it's just a calibration adjustment.
First......Thank you RamDiver for your posts. Good information to have.

85octane,
I am trying to accomplish exactly like you have mentioned in regards to the Lights function and nothing more.

I wished there was a Tech or Programmer here that could confirm that these were indeed the only changes that had to be made to accomplish what we are trying to do.

@Jimmy07 .......not sure how to reach you but are you able to shed any light into this?

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Many members believe if you get caught changing anything with AlfaOBD, your entire warranty with FCA will become null & void.

I've read about members who believe that if you so much as get caught with a bypass cable installed, your vehicle will be flagged and the warranty voided.

When I purchased my truck in January '22, the sales manager insisted (right or wrong) that there would be no grief with anything I changed and no impact on the warranty.

However, if my alterations caused a failure, that would be my problem and I would not get any warranty for that item.

My KaodTech bypass cable has never been removed since the day I installed it, I keep it tucked away under the dash and have not altered the OEM OBDii port.

I'm not overly concerned about my warranty being voided because I chose to make a few configuration changes but that is your decision to make for your truck.

I'm not familiar with any settings or changes to the brow lights, my truck is browless. :cool:

I have made changes with AlfaOBD so that my DRLs are an option in the radio menu and have the ability to turn them on or off. The default DRL for my truck is front signal lights.

The DRL are always enabled and I have the dashboard light sensor covered with black electrical tape so that the headlights come on when the sun gets low.

IIRC, I made the following changes to DRL settings;

Switched from Canada DRL to Optional DRL.

View attachment 545486

Cust.set.menu 1 -Daytime running lights CSM present /yes

View attachment 545487

And, drl/ ECUConfig 3 -Customer setting option present/ yes.

View attachment 545488

So, tried to set drl to optional. Will not do the change. Keeps reverting to DRL Canada. Also won't do the ecu configuration 3 change. Gives me an error message that says the change is outside the parameters. It did accept the middle change,Custom set menu, but the option does not show up on my settings pages. I am betting this is failure to change 1 and 3 is due to the Country code being Canada. Mine is a 2021 2500, did it take on your pickup?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, tried to set drl to optional. Will not do the change. Keeps reverting to DRL Canada. Also won't do the ecu configuration 3 change. Gives me an error message that says the change is outside the parameters. It did accept the middle change,Custom set menu, but the option does not show up on my settings pages. I am betting this is failure to change 1 and 3 is due to the Country code being Canada. Mine is a 2021 2500, did it take on your pickup?

That's odd.

Is the AlfaOBD updated to the most current version?
Are you power cycling the start button after each change maintaining the engine off?

I've made several changes with & without power cycling the start button. I don't recall if the DRL lights updates included power cycling.

I've also updated my AlfaOBD twice since making the DRL changes, so the option wasn't new for my truck.

I use the Windows version of AlfaOBD but that shouldn't matter.
In AlfaOBD I'm currently using; My2019PowerNet under the ECUs/Body Computer with my '21 Warlock.

I believe that the DRL enable/disable switch in the CSM menu required a few on-road power cycles before it appeared.

PS; I never changed the country code setting on my truck. I'll try to get more pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
That's odd.

Is the AlfaOBD updated to the most current version?
Are you power cycling the start button after each change maintaining the engine off?

I've made several changes with & without power cycling the start button. I don't recall if the DRL lights updates included power cycling.

I've also updated my AlfaOBD twice since making the DRL changes, so the option wasn't new for my truck.

I use the Windows version of AlfaOBD but that shouldn't matter.
In AlfaOBD I'm currently using; My2019PowerNet under the ECUs/Body Computer with my '21 Warlock.

I believe that the DRL enable/disable switch in the CSM menu required a few on-road power cycles before it appeared.

PS; I never changed the country code setting on my truck. I'll try to get more pics tomorrow.

I think I found the issue. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE LASTEST UPGRADE FOR THE OBDLINK MX+ . I loaded it before I tried changing settings. There are a couple of complaints in the reviews about the Feb 1, 2024, 5.10.3, firmware upgrade f'Ing up the connection to alphaobd. I filed a ticket with obd link just now. Have asked them to revert mine to the previous version.

Yes I have the latest alpha update and I did power cycle the changes.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I found the issue. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE LASTEST UPGRADE FOR THE OBDLINK MX+ . I loaded it before I tried changing settings. There are a couple of complaints in the reviews about the June 7 firmware upgrade f'Ing up the connection to alphaobd. I filed a ticket with obd link just now. Have asked them to revert mine to the previous version.

Yes I have the latest alpha update and I did power cycle the changes.

That's great news you identified the glitch. Hopefully, the update rollback will get sorted out sooner than later and you will be able to successfully tweak the DRLs.

I tend to avoid upgrading AlfaOBD as a SOP.

Unless I'm having a difficulty with the App, it just runs the risk of becoming another guinea pig to work out faults.

I use the same practice for Windows and Android OS updates but at least I can read reviews of those first.

Maybe, the same practice for the interface could save grief.

Also, I'm convinced there's more bugs in a Bluetooth interface due to the complexity of operations than any hardwire interface.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
For those that are interested, if you look under settings in the OBDLink MX+ application, under update firmware, it lists the latest firmware that was loaded to your app, if you click on the yellow version description it will bring up a list of it and and previous versions. I have now downloaded the previous version 5.9.4. We shall see if that fixes the problem.

It would be good if they would put that on their website as I am still waiting for Support to get back to me. Found this on my own this morning messing around with the app.

Screenshot_20240703_085055[1].jpg

Screenshot_20240703_084823[1].jpg

Last edited: