Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Lol, what was different this oci.

Remember, I'm that feller whose truck was rebuilt, put back together on a new frame due to an accident(broadsided an eighteen wheeler gravel truck that ran an stop sign)last November, 2023.

My truck has a new frame, radiator/ac condenser/clutch fan assembly/front bumper facia/grill/fenders/hood/ headlamps/fog lamp assembly/engine bay frame rails and the cab pulled back into alignment.

Everything else was pulled off the original frame and installed on a new one: cab/bed /tail gate engine/tranny/front end upper and lower A arms/front wheel hubs/ drive shaft/rear differential and panhard bar/gas tank/spare tire rear bumper and wheels/tires ... I might have left something out, idk ... my truck was in the shop for six months.

My point is, I hope that my HEMI doesn't have any internal problems due to the accident that might have caused the wear numbers to be higher with iron and aluminum. I'll probably find out when(or if)it happens.

My HEMI was due for an oci right before the accident and when I got it back is when I did the oci, so, I run short oci's(3000 miles)and I'll send off another sample to Blackstone Labs and hope that those results will be more normal.

Fwiw, my HEMI runs just fine, idles smooth and quiet as it did before the accident. No engine dry start up clatter or ticky, nadda.

... I don't tow with my truck and the Winter was normal.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, next oci will tell the story if there is an issue or not. Certainly troubling but no where near a real problem your numbers.

Also, to note that the TIN was back to normal @ 1 pm from 4 ppm on the previous oci sample ... could have been that "oil packaging thing" with Red Line that was mentioned awhile back?

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@JHoward , what oil and filter (and additives?) are in your truck now?
Was this your 1st or only use of Red Line 5w-30?
What were you running previously?

My truck is currently due and I have 8 quarts of RL 5w-30 on hand to
replace the PUP 5w-20 that's been in it for 3000 miles.
I'm also planning on replacing the RP 20-820 with a Purolator Boss PBL24651.
A UOA for this oil, and again after running the Red Line for 3k-5k miles.

I'm also guilty of forgetting about your accident. Probably quite a jolt to anything
that wasn't replaced.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
@JHoward , what oil and filter (and additives?) are in your truck now?
Was this your 1st or only use of Red Line 5w-30?
What were you running previously?

My truck is currently due and I have 8 quarts of RL 5w-30 on hand to
replace the PUP 5w-20 that's been in it for 3000 miles.
I'm also planning on replacing the RP 20-820 with a Purolator Boss PBL24651.
A UOA for this oil, and again after running the Red Line for 3k-5k miles.

I'm also guilty of forgetting about your accident. Probably quite a jolt to anything
that wasn't replaced.

Lol, I've been back in my truck about two months and I'm that feller who switched from using the Royal Purple 20-820 to the Purolator Boss PBL 24651and still using Red Line 5w/30 and have never used oil additives.

My HEMI is on its fifth run of Red Line 5w/30. I had used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w/20 and MOPAR MO339 oil filters when the truck was new and switched to the Purolator Boss PBL 24651at about the time I started reading the RAMforum and learned about Red Line oil/Royal Purple oil filters for the benefit of the HEMI engine, that's when I made the change using that oil/oil filter combo.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Lol, what was different this oci.

Remember, I'm that feller whose truck was rebuilt, put back together on a new frame due to an accident(broadsided an eighteen wheeler gravel truck that ran an stop sign)last November, 2023.

My truck has a new frame, radiator/ac condenser/clutch fan assembly/front bumper facia/grill/fenders/hood/ headlamps/fog lamp assembly/engine bay frame rails and the cab pulled back into alignment.

Everything else was pulled off the original frame and installed on a new one: cab/bed /tail gate engine/tranny/front end upper and lower A arms/front wheel hubs/ drive shaft/rear differential and panhard bar/gas tank/spare tire rear bumper and wheels/tires ... I might have left something out, idk ... my truck was in the shop for six months.

My point is, I hope that my HEMI doesn't have any internal problems due to the accident that might have caused the wear numbers to be higher with iron and aluminum. I'll probably find out when(or if)it happens.

My HEMI was due for an oci right before the accident and when I got it back is when I did the oci, so, I run short oci's(3000 miles)and I'll send off another sample to Blackstone Labs and hope that those results will be more normal.

Fwiw, my HEMI runs just fine, idles smooth and quiet as it did before the accident. No engine dry start up clatter or ticky, nadda.

... I don't tow with my truck and the Winter was normal.
Does any of your documentation have cascade damage effects indicated anywhere?
(either you requesting that this verbiage be included, or the insurance company/repair shop indicating it)?

I say this as a repair/rebuild of the magnitude your truck had, there could be potential for engine and/or transmission issues due to the severe impact your truck took during the collision last November 2023.

Getting smacked hard by a semi is no joke, and that force could have the potential to shift things a bit thus causing abnormal wear on critical internal components in ones engine and/or transmission.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does any of your documentation have cascade damage effects indicated anywhere?
(either you requesting that this verbiage be included, or the insurance company/repair shop indicating it)?

I say this as a repair/rebuild of the magnitude your truck had, there could be potential for engine and/or transmission issues due to the severe impact your truck took during the collision last November 2023.

Getting smacked hard by a semi is no joke, and that force could have the potential to shift things a bit thus causing abnormal wear on critical internal components in ones engine and/or transmission.
Or a possibly of a tweaked crankshaft from the wreck.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Does anyone remember awhile back on the discussion about a few folks that were using Red Line oil having the increased amount of TIN showing on their oil lab report and if it were possibly related to a ... I don't remember.

I'm to lazy to go back and look for posts.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Does anyone remember awhile back on the discussion about a few folks that were using Red Line oil having the increased amount of TIN showing on their oil lab report and if it were possibly related to a ... I don't remember.

I remember this. I thought somebody asked Dave @ Red Line about it, then he up and retired?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

It is just something that shows up in many oils, not redline, go look random voa's. Nothing burger either way. There is an answer, I forgot who brought it maybe Travis, but there is a reason for the tin in random samples.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was in the shop for that kind of work - I'll bet you the number of cold start turn on / off on / off again was astronomical during the repairs.

It's not like the body / repair shop is going to let it run and idle down when they turn it on to move it 3 feet.