Check your intake manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, boss - semiannual air filter change last weekend, screws were 1/8 turn loose - with dry loctite left on!!

It was such a PITA to remove them, clean old loctite, apply new loctite, reinstall and torque last time I just said screw it and just retorqued in situ to 108 in-lb. Incredible.

Sure as $hit, engine no long sputters @ idle rpm. Incredible. What a $hitty design.
Hey tundra resident, how many miles on your 2500?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
56,000 total, I don't recall since I last torqued, maybe 14,000 miles?
Well my early build 2019 (built April 2018, 1st of the trucks), has an enormous 23,900 miles on odometer and I have not even looked at the manifold bolts. 1st time I detect an miss in idle, will explore and get out my TW and TQ down to 108 inch lbs with some Blue Locktite also.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, boss - semiannual air filter change last weekend, screws were 1/8 turn loose - with dry loctite left on!!

It was such a PITA to remove them, clean old loctite, apply new loctite, reinstall and torque last time I just said screw it and just retorqued in situ to 108 in-lb. Incredible.

Sure as $hit, engine no long sputters @ idle rpm. Incredible. What a $hitty design.
Try duct tape !!!! ;)

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try duct tape !!!! ;)
GRAY off the shelf at Wally World or the old Green in Color Army Companion, every person kept a roll in their duffle and truck tool kit, LOL.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Try duct tape !!!! ;)

No, it's the elastomer compression-setting over time. Just a crap air seal. Needed a dissimilar material gasket like used for cast iron block and aluminum head - this being plastic manifold and aluminum head - completely different rates of thermal expansion, exposed to frequent temperature swings. They finally figured out to use a steel backed double elastomer gasket on cylinder heads, and there haven't been head gasket failures since.

So instead, repeated the same GD seal failure in a different area. I just can't anymore with this lack of coherent management and oversight.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well my early build 2019 (built April 2018, 1st of the trucks), has an enormous 23,900 miles on odometer and I have not even looked at the manifold bolts. 1st time I detect an miss in idle, will explore and get out my TW and TQ down to 108 inch lbs with some Blue Locktite also.

Get a young man to crawl back there or an engine creeper.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Get a young man to crawl back there or an engine creeper.
That's something I hadn't heard of so I did a search. You sir are my hero! Looks like I'll be doing some shopping along with MDS lifter research this weekend. It's good to have a purpose. :cool:

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No, it's the elastomer compression-setting over time. Just a crap air seal. Needed a dissimilar material gasket like used for cast iron block and aluminum head - this being plastic manifold and aluminum head - completely different rates of thermal expansion, exposed to frequent temperature swings. They finally figured out to use a steel backed double elastomer gasket on cylinder heads, and there haven't been head gasket failures since.

So instead, repeated the same GD seal failure in a different area. I just can't anymore with this lack of coherent management and oversight.
Tell us how you really feel H, :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:
But you bring up a very valid point,they could of done things alot better then using a cheap elastomer gasket on something as critical on sealing as an intake manifold. There's times i've been tempted to rip the manifold off and get rid of the gaskets,and JB Weld the sucker right to the heads;):Big Laugh:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Tell Tim Taylor that!!! ;)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when and if you do, you should see some of the factory "loctite" i think is orange if you were to back those bolts out. It sounds like nobody accounted for the issue of the intake gaskets compressing to the point the bolts have to be tightened over and over because maybe the bolts backing out isn't really the problem.

That's an interesting hypothesis that the continued compression of the gasket is responsible for the loosening of the manifold bolts.

I think we should test this theory by marking the bolt heads after torquing with high temperature paint type markers.

The use of locktite together with positional markings should assist with clarification of, are the bolts un-threading or not.

Thoughts...?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
For screws to vibrate loose using high temperature loctite would mean the product fails in a routine application.

Not buying it.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has the aftermarket not come up with a fix for this? Like a different gasket/bolt set or something that would make the bolts a one and done when tightened?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Has the aftermarket not come up with a fix for this? Like a different gasket/bolt set or something that would make the bolts a one and done when tightened?
Not as far as i know . About all that might work would be a serated washer or bolt head,but that also chews up the composite manifold if you ever have to remove it.And i'm not even sure if that'd cure the issue

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Haven't heard of one, if @Wild one hasn't got it I doubt it exists. Probably can't retrofit either, guessing bosses on there.