Cruise Control only works intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennis07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cruise control on my 2019 1500 Classic only works occasionally. Has anyone experienced this issue? If so do you have a corrective action?

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Possible the clock spring???
Had that problem when I bought my truck new in 2013
Hopefully someone here can respond with answer

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can slap the bar under or near the Cruise Control button.
That may work for a long time, until it does not .

Eventually, i believe it will be the Clock Spring mechanism

videos that may work for you

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2013 6 speed does that alot. If I hold the cruise control res/set buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds, the issue goes away.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did that too and sometimes it thought I hit the voice activation button when I clicked cruise control on which was really annoying.

Never really did it when it was cooler outside though, wonder if the button itself or the circuit board behind them were to blame? I was near the point of addressing the issue but sadly truck got smoked in an accident recently. My first attempt to fix it would have been a new clock spring based on what I have searched here about similar issues.

wrench78

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had that same issue with my 2017 1500. All I do is bang the steering wheel hard with my hand and it works again. I think the button gets stuck or something.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Showing any lights in the dash ? Mine did that after i changed ball joints and tie rods, it was bad out of alignment but threw a code but cruise would not work. After alignment everything was back to normal

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 started that way, but got to the point where both the left & right switch buttons, horn, and lights would only work when the wheel was turned at least 90 degrees left or right. I thought I had a bad clockspring, replaced it, but still had the problem. Ended up being two broken wires in the connector that plugs all of the steering wheel wiring into the clockspring. If you're able, I would pull the airbag and check that connector before replacing anything.

Check out this youtube video. It shows the exact problem and should be linked to the timestamp where they show the issue.
https://youtu.be/qYVXyiW8oLY?si=ogLJQLctxUQHQ9tz&t=1467