Daughter bought a new GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully her 6.2 is reliable, my brother is a GM master tech and he been swamping 6.2 long blocks like crazy under warranty. Some with as little as 3000 miles
I was a GM master tech for 20 years. When I quit GM, the LS engines had just come out. They have always had problems of one kind or another. Transmissions were a biggie. Sorry interior quality was another... Ditto for the peeling paint. By the time I quit them, I was ashamed of the product.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My new caddy is disappointing in the mpg area I expected it to be a lot better than the boosted 5.7 but todays 80 mile run only avg.22 on a v6
Damn that's not great for a V6,i can pull down over 30 with the wifes 6.4 Challenger on a trip.

Attachments

• IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN5364.JPG
    DSCN5364.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 6

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Not trying to top anyone but my wife's 2014 3.6 Durango will get 27 MPG on the highway. My 2010 Challenger RT 6 speed would get 28 MPG highway. Best V-8 fuel mileage I ever got in any of my cars. "All of this was driving like I had a brain!

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I have a couple of buddies with a gm 6.2. I mostly hear from them that it sucks gas.

A 400+hp 6.2L motor pushing a barn door with a grill down the road sucks gas?

I advocate the following response to your buddies:

giphy.webp

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
She initially was looking for about an $8000 truck just to haul tools around but what she was finding in that price range was in pretty bad shape. All of her apartment units are about 30 minutes from her house and they are all within about 7 or 8 miles of each other so as long as she keeps driving the Acura for work she shouldn't be spending too much in gas. She did say she was pretty much gonna let it set with minimal driving for about 2 years and by then her Acura would have over 150,000 on it. Just hard to justify spending $75,000 on a truck.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
She initially was looking for about an $8000 truck just to haul tools around but what she was finding in that price range was in pretty bad shape. All of her apartment units are about 30 minutes from her house and they are all within about 7 or 8 miles of each other so as long as she keeps driving the Acura for work she shouldn't be spending too much in gas. She did say she was pretty much gonna let it set with minimal driving for about 2 years and by then her Acura would have over 150,000 on it. Just hard to justify spending $75,000 on a truck.
When the parameters are at such extremes, it makes me wonder just where the person is trying to land, realistically. 8 grand as opposed to 75 grand makes for a wide chasm, but leaves a HUGE gap where a decent truck CAN be had somewhere in that gap. I can buy a whole tanker of gas for 67 thousand dollars (the amount between 8 g's and 75 g's). It also leaves a bunch of repair dollars latitude for a cheaper, older truck.

That said, the limited amount of mileage/gas consumption alluded to by the close proximities of the properties make a lesser truck more practical, in my own viewpoint.

But, things being what they are, I truly hope she gets a lot of good utility from the new truck! Peace! :)

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
When the parameters are at such extremes, it makes me wonder just where the person is trying to land, realistically. 8 grand as opposed to 75 grand makes for a wide chasm, but leaves a HUGE gap where a decent truck CAN be had somewhere in that gap. I can buy a whole tanker of gas for 67 thousand dollars (the amount between 8 g's and 75 g's). It also leaves a bunch of repair dollars latitude for a cheaper, older truck.

That said, the limited amount of mileage/gas consumption alluded to by the close proximities of the properties make a lesser truck more practical, in my own viewpoint.

But, things being what they are, I truly hope she gets a lot of good utility from the new truck! Peace! :)
Yeah the $8000 truck was only supposed to be for a year or so. But she says she will be keeping this one 10 years. We will see. She is 29 and is hoping to 'retire' in a few years and just run her properties. But she does like her 'toys' so not overly surprised she went this route.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have only ever bought one vehicle for the good mileage and that was a Toyota celica gt I bought back in the 70's because I had to do some travel with for a job. the corvette and 396 malibu ss's and the several camaro z-28's and the avalanche I have owned were all bought because I liked driving them and I knew from the start that they would use more fuel. the best truck I ever owned was the '19 laramie 1500 ccsb 5.7 with 3.92 rear end and ORP and a lot of the time it got 20 on the highway at 75-78 miles an hour..win win.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
three on the tree quickly became 3 on the floor when we were kids..one of the first things one had to do was get a floor shifter..preferably a Hurst. of course that led to glasspacks or cut-outs and drag links and tubular front axles, dash mounted tachs, hood scoops, slicks and all kinds of our stuff to spend our lawn mowing money on.

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
three on the tree quickly became 3 on the floor when we were kids..one of the first things one had to do was get a floor shifter..preferably a Hurst. of course that led to glasspacks or cut-outs and drag links and tubular front axles, dash mounted tachs, hood scoops, slicks and all kinds of our stuff to spend our lawn mowing money on.
Great days! Now it's "hook the computer up to it"! LOL

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
three on the tree quickly became 3 on the floor when we were kids

It was a 'before my time' thing, but I did test drive a Ford pickup with 3oT. Power nothing. Manual steering (AKA Armstrong steering). Manual brakes, drums all the way around of course. It wasn't so much a truck as it was a gym on wheels.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It was a 'before my time' thing, but I did test drive a Ford pickup with 3oT. Power nothing. Manual steering (AKA Armstrong steering). Manual brakes, drums all the way around of course. It wasn't so much a truck as it was a gym on wheels.
I remember after a few arm days at the gym I barely had the strength to get out of the parking lot. Fine once you were moving.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
and roll your own windows.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Fine once you were moving.
But that was the trick...It didn't have to roll much. You need to think differently with it...Start rolling BEFORE you start turning. I passed my driving test with a manual/manual...Parallel parking wasn't easy, but doable.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
But that was the trick...It didn't have to roll much. You need to think differently with it...Start rolling BEFORE you start turning. I passed my driving test with a manual/manual...Parallel parking wasn't easy, but doable.
Took my driving test in a 78 nova. Power steering pump was shot, left the passenger window down so the evaluator could close the doot since the handle inside was broken off and the only points I got was when I parked I didn't set the e-brake. Didn't tell him it was because the release handle broke off so I couldn't. He almost didn't let me take the test as it was because the car didn't seem safe. Lol that was my stepdads car. Mine was way worse, which was why I borrowed his.

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Most of my cars between the mid '70's till the mid '80's were manual steering, manual brakes and manual transmission. Never even thought about it till you had a few hard power stops in a row and got the drums hot, then you just stopped and drank a few and let them cool off and go again like nothing ever happened. Still wonder how I made it till now. Young and dumb (fearless) I guess! LOL

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy crapola Batman U made a lot of $$$ mowing lawns. My 67 396 SS Impala had 3 on tree. We cut a hole in center hub, also pulled the trans and put in a 4 speed Saginaw with Hurst. We just put a piece of carpet over the exposed hole areas. We did put on hush thrush (the birds) and such but not much more. We were poor Boirds lol.