Do 5th gens get hemi tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
I could be wrong, but I don't remember anyone on this site with a 5th gen complain about it, unless it was an exhaust manifold issue. I most definitely haven't heard of a 5th gen having it locally.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 115635 miles.
Dusty,
I have 75k on my 2019 5.7 with no tick except when I first start it up. Goes away quick. Seems normal to me. I have had to replace manifold bolts due to a few of them snapping off at the head of the bolt on my passenger side.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dusty,
I have 75k on my 2019 5.7 with no tick except when I first start it up. Goes away quick. Seems normal to me. I have had to replace manifold bolts due to a few of them snapping off at the head of the bolt on my passenger side.
My 2019 has under 40k miles. Has had tick on start up maybe 10 times. No rhyme or reason. Other wise no problem.
Why the difference? Who knows

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
2019 Limited with E-torque, 93K miles, 10K OIC, synthetic (dealer) 5W20 oil and synthetic filter. Several 15+ minute idles after remote start both in winter and summer. Still going strong....

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious if it's all Hemi's or just up to 4th gens? Do I still need to use an Ester based oil in my new 2021 Hemi with E torque? Or can I use regular oil? I want to protect my engine as best as possible. Probably won't be getting a new truck for a very long time. This may be my last one if mother nature doesnt decide to destroy it with hail. Thanks
I'm on my 3'rd RAM Laramie Longhorn, my present one is a 2020, 5th Gen ... I've used nothing but Mobil 1 Extended Performance Synthetic oil 5W20 with the matching Mobil 1 filter and have not had the hemi tick in any of them ... Most of my driving is city/highway and I do not do off-roading, so either that is the reason for no tick, or I'm just lucky ...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I haven't seen any fundamental design change to the Hemi engine that would mitigate valve lifter and cam failure since FCA change lifter supplier and design starting with 2017 model year.

Remember - the Hemi Generation is still Gen III - it is the SAME engine regardless of the Generation of the truck itself.

It was an attempt to fix without spending a lot of money, of course, whether by increasing oil flow to the lifter roller needles and cam surface, or by changing to a billet cam, or both.

I don't know the prevalence of lifter and cam failures since. FCA, and now Stellantis, will not share any information whatsoever with their customers.

Nice culture, huh?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 has under 40k miles. Has had tick on start up maybe 10 times. No rhyme or reason. Other wise no problem.
Why the difference? Who knows
My thought on this is the lifters have a tendency to bleed down easily, causing that sometimes tick at start up or a little bit after the cold start that mine sometimes does, when mine sits for a few days, I do a clear flood mode, push the accelerator pedal to the floor and start engine this gets the oil circulating into the mains and rods and possible pumping lifters up, I've done this at different times and it does work.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dusty,
These trucks are very quiet.

I hadn't noticed any "ticking" until one morning I did a remote start while standing next to the truck. Ticking went away within 3-8 seconds. Had a tech. check it out and discovered it had a cracked exhaust manifold on the right side. Despite being at 92,000 mile, Ram covered it. No ticking since.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 115670 miles.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I could be wrong, but I don't remember anyone on this site with a 5th gen complain about it, unless it was an exhaust manifold issue. I most definitely haven't heard of a 5th gen having it locally.

Regards,
Dusty

5th gens have it too. I heard it two on brand new trucks on my dealership's lot when I was last shopping for a truck. As mentioned by others, there hasn't been anything other than minor tweeks to the Gen III Hemi over the years. Ram considers it normal so they weren't going to pour money into fixing it unless it was causing sales to plummet. Which didn't happen. Now that it's no longer offered as an engine choice we're stuck with what we've got.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5th gens have it too. I heard it two on brand new trucks on my dealership's lot when I was last shopping for a truck. As mentioned by others, there hasn't been anything other than minor tweeks to the Gen III Hemi over the years. Ram considers it normal so they weren't going to pour money into fixing it unless it was causing sales to plummet. Which didn't happen. Now that it's no longer offered as an engine choice we're stuck with what we've got.
BOIRD thinks if STELLANTIS (RAM) does not start being smart, and stop trying to suck every dollar outta us, and lower the insane prices, might not be a RAM place anymore.

added: Even with RP 10-48 filter, and PUP and lubeguard, if my truck sits long, (since it is a driveway princess), I can sometimes get an initial tick, just can't get away from it with the way they redesigned these rolling computers, IMHO.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still baby mine during warm-up just to be safe.
I always allow to warm up, but here it is more of a Cool down than a warm up, lol. I took a trip to Austin the other day up on IH 35 so I blew the cobwebs out from sitting, considering 80 MPH on IH 35 here is more like 90 mph, LOL. Only the traffic congestion slows PPL down, and I stay at 79 mph, even in a 75 mph zone, since I hate to watch the "dancing" gas gauge, but I was still getting almost 20 mpg at 79 mph. Now there are times I gotta "turkey" the throttle a lil to keep from getting run over.

I almost NEVA run my MC on IH 35, as it is almost a death wish. Now that Boxer 6 Wing will run 125 mph (have it set there instead of top speed), but PPL will just run U over, so I stay off the Interstate with my MC.

337886109_938763160474275_2361733200592748428_n.jpg

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run Penzoil Platinum Plus 5-w20 and add 14 oz ( 2 oz per quart ) Motor-Kote Hyper Lubricant. You do not adjust your oil with this product, it shows over the limit on dip stick for a week, then it shows normal level. This stuff get's absorbed into the metal itself !!! been using this stuff in everything!!! My Harley, lawn equipment, and especially my RAM. at least the last 20 years !!!

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
164,000 miles, no tick, runs good, full synthetic oil, I use the oil change reminder.
I am at about 67,000, no tick, runs great, full synthetic oil (dealer changes). I use the oil change reminder, but do the change shortly after I hit 50% on the reminder indicator (also rotate tires then as well). I would much rather overpay for too many oil changes than a new engine (or parts thereof).

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stealership I bought it from did an oil change. Don't know what oil they used. I'm going to put Redline Ester based oil in when I do it. Have 7000 miles to go.
A dealership would normally use Synthetic Bulk Oil Blend and Mopar Filter. (semi synth oil)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I don't see why not - exact same engine (gen III Hemi).

btw - I doubt Ram considers lifter and cam failures normal - it's what they had to tell us to avoid a massive recall with no fix. They wouldn't have switched lifter vendors and designs in 2017 if they had considered this 'normal'.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
I don't see why not - exact same engine (gen III Hemi).

btw - I doubt Ram considers lifter and cam failures normal - it's what they had to tell us to avoid a massive recall with no fix. They wouldn't have switched lifter vendors and designs in 2017 if they had considered this 'normal'.
You're right. Maybe I should have worded it differently. I was referring to the hemi tick, not cam and lifter failures. But how does this sound...Ram claims it's normal. Or Ram's official position is that it's normal. Better?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I run Penzoil Platinum Plus 5-w20 and add 14 oz ( 2 oz per quart ) Motor-Kote Hyper Lubricant. You do not adjust your oil with this product, it shows over the limit on dip stick for a week, then it shows normal level. This stuff get's absorbed into the metal itself !!! been using this stuff in everything!!! My Harley, lawn equipment, and especially my RAM. at least the last 20 years !!!

Anyone tempted to use Motor-Kote or who thinks it "absorbs into the metal" should research chlorinated parrafin before making a decision. If you do elect to use it, consider shortening times between oil changes pretty dramatically.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Slick 50 for the win.

I remember the Schaefer's guy running around with a set of hand crank egg beaters to show how their oil climbed up the blades! WOW! AMAZING! (never mind they added unneeded and harmful peritac additive to make it do so, when all machines have appropriate level reservoirs for oiling).

But what the hell do I know?

Snake Oil - Copy.jpg

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Slick 50 for the win.

I remember the Schaefer's guy running around with a set of hand crank egg beaters to show how their oil climbed up the blades! WOW! AMAZING! (never mind they added unneeded and harmful peritac additive to make it do so, when all machines have appropriate level reservoirs for oiling).

But what the hell do I know?

View attachment 546974
A hunting buddy of mine (may he rest in peace) swore by Slick 50. I never did try it, but he was a true believer, and that was back in the 90's when it first came out.