Engine cam swap and mds delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So to start this off I had an mds lifter collapse. Loud ticking located to one side of the engine. Pulled valve cover and noticed one rocker didn’t move as much as the rest. Order an NSR NTR cam and cam kit from moes performance. Pulled the engine apart. Marked the cam phaser and chain. Installed the new cam. Reassembled the engine. Now the engine does not run. Throws codes. Intake manifold feels like exhaust may be blowing back into the intake as I feel heat on the intake manifold. AFR gauge reads rich. Possible I mixed up the intake and exhaust pushrods on one side? If I hold the pedal down truck starts but will not run under 2000 rpm. Any ideas before I have to tear apart the engine again… I am 100% sure the timing was correct. Everything seemed to go together perfectly. Also not sure on the tcm code.

IMG_7228.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So to start this off I had an mds lifter collapse. Loud ticking located to one side of the engine. Pulled valve cover and noticed one rocker didn’t move as much as the rest. Order an NSR NTR cam and cam kit from moes performance. Pulled the engine apart. Marked the cam phaser and chain. Installed the new cam. Reassembled the engine. Now the engine does not run. Throws codes. Intake manifold feels like exhaust may be blowing back into the intake as I feel heat on the intake manifold. AFR gauge reads rich. Possible I mixed up the intake and exhaust pushrods on one side? If I hold the pedal down truck starts but will not run under 2000 rpm. Any ideas before I have to tear apart the engine again… I am 100% sure the timing was correct. Everything seemed to go together perfectly. Also not sure on the tcm code.

View attachment 547767
I'd pull the valve covers and intake off,and make sure all the pushrods are in their respective order,and the intake to make sure you didn't knock a runner o-ring out of place Khris

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a feeling I switched the pushrods exhaust and intake possibly. I’m pulling them today after work to check.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If memory serves me right, it's everything short of impossible to mix pushrods. But it is possible it miss the bucket of the lifter on some of them. I'd think timing was set off a little bit but if you marked timing before disassembly that's less likely.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If memory serves me right, it's everything short of impossible to mix pushrods. But it is possible it miss the bucket of the lifter on some of them. I'd think timing was set off a little bit but if you marked timing before disassembly that's less likely.
I didn’t double check pushrod length when I put the passenger side together. I pulled it solo and my father helped me put it back together so there’s a very good chance they got switched on accident. I didn’t label the passenger side. I did label the driver side. I’m 99% sure that’s my issue and it would 100% be my fault for not labeling. My father wouldn’t have known which was intake or exhaust and wouldn’t know they were 2 different lengths

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Maybe check for broken valve spring also if it was running rough before install.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the valves and valve seats looked great on disassembly. Took cleaner and wiped down everything to make sure. I know for sure it’s not a mixed up pushrods. I did not realize the exhaust pushrods were significantly longer so there is no way to mix them up. I have the passenger valve cover off. Taking the driver off currently to see if I missed the seat on the lifter or maybe the pushrod fell out of the rocker

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
All the valves and valve seats looked great on disassembly. Took cleaner and wiped down everything to make sure. I know for sure it’s not a mixed up pushrods. I did not realize the exhaust pushrods were significantly longer so there is no way to mix them up. I have the passenger valve cover off. Taking the driver off currently to see if I missed the seat on the lifter or maybe the pushrod fell out of the rocker
A piece of welding rod,or a straightened out coat hanger,laid across the top of the head,will help hold the pushrods in line to re-install the rocker shafts